• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bought two new handguns today. Attn. A4s

Status
Not open for further replies.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah I have a new Springfield probably take it out to the range this weekend and see how it works. I have my eye on an HK .45 anyway and after six years of op flight time cost is less of a factor all of a sudden

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Yeah I have a new Springfield probably take it out to the range this weekend and see how it works. I have my eye on an HK .45 anyway and after six years of op flight time cost is less of a factor all of a sudden

On the topic of Hydra-shoks, they're good, they're very reliable man stoppers, but I'm a big fan of the Winchester Ranger-T line. They occupy the mags in my Glock and SIG. Have an unprecedented street record. If you're interested, drop me a PM, I know a dealer in FL that ships them. They're expensive, but worth the money. But hey, what's a single Ensign with 2 roommates supposed to do with his money anyway? ;)

I've never shot an HK USP, I'd like to. I want a 1911 for sh!ts and grins, but the .45 I really want is a P220. Just a brilliant piece of work. It'd complement my P226 nicely.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have small carny hands so the p220 is out. Roomate of three years had one great gun but I couldnt manipulate the mag release comfortably. Ill send you a PM alwayd looking for more lethal ammo. They wont let me take SAPHEI rounds home

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
skidkid said:
Squadron XO told me his 1911 doesnt do so well with Hydro-shocks the blunt end get caught up in the feeding cycle and jams. I have not shot hydros through mine though it has a magazine loaded in it now in my bed side table (just in case) starting to question the reliability.
Thoughts?

I see from the other posts that you basically got your answer while I was on the phone .... conducting important business --- but since I invested some of my precious remaining useful consciousness in this answer --- your're gonna' get it anyway ......

John Moses Browning never met a hollow point or Federal Hydra-Shok's, either -- appologies to Wil Rogers.

The feed ramp was made and carefully designed for 230 gr FMJ hardball, ONLY. Attempts to feed properly with modern hollow points are chancy and irregular at best --- not what I would want to bet my life on ..... UNLESS you have the feed ramp polished by a competent gunsmith who knows what he is doing --- (most DON'T when it comes to quality custom work on a 1911). And then run hundreds of rounds of hollow point through the pistol until you are confident it will work every time " as if your life depended on it". Some new models of 1911 work well with JHP's out of the box --- they are "built" for them.

Personally, I run 230 gr ball in my 1911's -- and never have a problem as a result. They are not my choice of firearm for home defense because of overpenetration with the 230 gr .45 ACP. I love 1911's, but Momma didn't raise no fool .... in spite of what you-all think .... :)

dw10.jpg

The standard frame/barrel feed ramp's throated and polished
and is expected to feed smoothly.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Looks like I get to buy oh wait start the process to buy a new weapon this weekend. HK is in the lead right now. Not looking for non .45 ACP right now

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
skidkid said:
Looks like I get to buy oh wait start the process to buy a new weapon this weekend.

Buy a firearm?? In Kalifornia?? Be sure you wear clean underwear for the full body cavity inspection portion of the process ......

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Behold the power of military orders, not that painful still have the wait etc but its not that bad

.45 Long Slide with the laser sight Plasma rifle in the 12 watt range

Edit: Too stupid to post pics A4s style

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
Well the HK is a good choice, I have always loved my .40 HK USP. I am thinking about getting a USP compact as my "big" gun. If you are looking for concealed the HK P2000 is a great gun. Of course I am now a big fan of the Springfield XD family. I have had bad experiences with Springfield 1911s. My dads and my best friends SA Ultra Compact 1911s btoh took two trips back to Springfield before they would fire without jamming. Not something to bet your life on.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Maybe Ill just get a nice S&W revolver for my "bedside" weapon, reliable as hell

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Maybe Ill just get a nice S&W revolver for my "bedside" weapon, reliable as hell

I have a 4" Stainless Ruger GP-100 .357 Magnum revolver. Absolutely gorgeous and very accurate. Shoots very hot 145gr Winchester Silvertips like a champ too.

Grant

Fly Navy said:
I have a 4" Stainless Ruger GP-100 .357 Magnum revolver. Absolutely gorgeous and very accurate. Shoots very hot 145gr Winchester Silvertips like a champ too.

My dad has that same gun, and he loves it. Like you said, its very sharp looking.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
skidkid said:

Mossberg 590. That is all you really need. <Mine has a bayonet on it, for the REALLY close calls>

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
VetteMuscle427 said:
Mossberg 590. That is all you really need. <Mine has a bayonet on it, for the REALLY close calls>

Same for me (minus the toothpick). For years I've just kept #8 shot in it, what with apartment life and all; but it's always reassuring to know that now should the mood strike me I can easily go to 000 buck in a 3" magnum to remove doors from the hinges ("I said 'Run' damn you!!").

The 92FS has a 15 rd clip of Black Talons (from before they were deemed "unpopular" by the media and made equally expensive by the ensuing hype). At the time they were just really nasty HPs. Whatever. A JHP by any other name...

Either way, whichever one I get to first will work fine for me. :icon_mi_1

ControlledBurn

ERAU Student
I love my USP .45f, but even with a good inside the waistband holster, she's not an easy one to conceal. Shoulder holster hides it well, but living in Florida, it's rare that I wear a jacket. I'm thinking about picking up a P2000 or P2000SK in .40S&W for my carry purposes, and leave my full-size for home and the range.

metro

The future of the Supply Corps
I've found a 1911, even though it's a "larger" (read: longer) pistol, to be the most comfortable CCW. The slim profile makes it fit an inside-the-waistband position better than my relatively smaller P226.

Status
Not open for further replies.