• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bought two new handguns today. Attn. A4s

Status
Not open for further replies.

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
A4sForever said:
I started sniffing around for the S/A 3" Defender in .45 GAP --- it's not ready for prime time just yet and not even on S/A's website --- and as it just appeared on the cover of American Rifleman you can probably add another 6 months wait for availability because of the demand. Which means --- if I can't get a .357 SiG barrel for my XD-40 I'll probably sell it when the .45 GAP 1911 subcompact becomes available. Life is hard sometimes .....

PX9801L.jpg
Micro-Compact 1911-A1 in .45 ACP (similar in size/weight to the Defender --- no Defender pix available yet)

Wow, that is a beautiful gun. Damn you A4s, now I want to spend MORE money.

T-man

A4sForever said:
I guess it just all depends on your needs which encompasses many different criteria, and of course, the bottom line --- your WANTS --- which is always totally (objective ...?? subjective ... ?? ) SUBJECTIVE !!! RIGHT !!! I don't see what all the fuss about the XD trigger is .... it is basically the Glock system and it works fine, lasts a long time. And I don't know WHAT you're doing with that trigger, T-Man, but it's disgusting ... (kidding:) ) And in the end, it's still all about personal preference, right?

It is all about personal preference. I guess I'm just used to the smoother finish of a trigger that does not have a safety on it.

If you want to talk a smooth firing gun however, I shot a Kimber recently and ooooooh man. I've never shot another handgun that had a smoother recoil. It felt like the slide was frictionless when you fired it. Too bad they cost an arm & leg though.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
While we're on the topic of guns.....

Anyone ever use Break Free's Powder Blast? That stuff is great. I just started using it, it makes cleaning so easy.

What about RIG? It is a petroleum like jelly used as lubricant. That will smooth out the function of your weapon, and it has staying power. You can pick up your weapon after 3 months of not firing and still use it w/o reapplying oil. It does make clean up a little messy though.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
clp1s.jpg

The manufacturer says:
Break-Free CLP® range of synthetic
multipurpose oil for cleaning, dewatering,
rust removal, lubricating, preserving or conditioning.

I say: Break Free's always had a top shelf product line. I am clueless about RIG.
GI oil and grease purchased surplus @ the gun show has always worked like a champ for me.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just use brake cleaner... it's like 99 cents a can and does the same, if not better, job than powder blast. Perfectly safe for finishes too. Without it, it would take me too damn long to clean my AR.

As far as lubes go, I mostly use Tetra's Gun Grease now. I still use CLP on some things, but for most metal to metal contact, grease is far better.

RevnR6

Getting Closer and Closer by the minute
Well, my GF and I just finished shooting our new toys. Great guns!!!! I am very very happy with them.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
For all you "gun nuts on the forum .......
gunnut6oo.png

Just ordered a "semi drop-in" bbl in .357 SiG for my XD-40 from Bar-Sto barrels. They have 'em ... the other outfit doesn't and they "don't know when" ..... Bar-sto is a little more expensive @ $200 ... but if you can't get one, how expensive is that??? Bar-sto said about 2 weeks as they are doing a run right now. They are in Twenty-Nine Palms and have been joined @ the hip with USMC fellows around there for quite some time. I have purchased a couple of their bbls over the years and they fit and function flawlessly, and that''s a LOT of "F's" ....

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Grant said:
..........I've had my eye on this.... any comments or experience with this particular model?
1911a1_721200_home.jpg

No, but I have a lot of experience with this similar model --- and I'll bet they work a lot alike ..... (just kidding, Grasshopper) :)

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Squadron XO told me his 1911 doesnt do so well with Hydro-shocks the blunt end get caught up in the feeding cycle and jams. I have not shot hydros through mine though it has a magazine loaded in it now in my bed side table (just in case) starting to question the reliability.
Thoughts?

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Squadron XO told me his 1911 doesnt do so well with Hydro-shocks the blunt end get caught up in the feeding cycle and jams. I have not shot hydros through mine though it has a magazine loaded in it now in my bed side table (just in case) starting to question the reliability.
Thoughts?

1911s are notorious with most hollow-points. When it comes to JHP, the 1911 is NOT the choice pistol. That being said, most can be fairly easy smithed to feed them, but some are worse than others. Some have design improvements out of the box so that they feed reliably, some are atrocious and need extensive work. This is of course, just inherent in the design... JHP wasn't a big thing for the .45ACP back then.

Status
Not open for further replies.