• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BOQ REVIEW's

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Stayed at the MCAS Beaufort BOQ the other night and, despite what I'd been told, it didn't suck. Then again, my point of reference is the Yuma BOQ which we all know sucks.

Goods: cheap. I got a suite for $30. They also had an NMCI computer that actually worked in the lobby.

Others: no cell coverage at all in the building. 1-2 bars when standing outside in the parking lot.

Definitely not the Hilton, but it beats staying at the Beech hotel, room C-12.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Stayed at the MCAS Beaufort BOQ the other night and...

I thought the Beaufort Q was average to above average. The rooms were decent sized and the beds fairly comfortable. The "other" category involves horrible cell reception, as mentioned by HD, and the "continental" breakfast that was little more than plastic wrapped danishes. But if you're judging a Q on the breakfast you have another thing coming.

The best Q I've stayed in, so far, has been the Sigonella Q since they remodeled. The rooms over on NAS 1 are great and the beds the most comfortable I've slept in in any hotel.

TBone

pilot
Base info for cross countries, TAD, PCS... "Military Traveler" iPhone App

Sort of a cool (free) resource built by a Naval Aviator that traveled around a lot that helps with this kind of info: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/military-traveler/id423532315?mt=8

Has most of the Navy and Marine Corps bases, Army and Air Force are still being worked on. Screen shots attached.

Attachments

• photo-9.jpg
    photo-9.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 24
  • photo-11.PNG
    photo-11.PNG
    91 KB · Views: 21
  • photo-10.jpg
    photo-10.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 19

gotta_fly

pilot
I wasn't sure where to post this question so this thread ought to do it. I'm wondering if anyone knows if the Flight Deck Lounge at the Pax River BOQ is open on weekends, or at all? I may find myself there on Saturday and the ladies at the front desk had no clue if it's even still a functioning bar.
Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I typically stay either in real hotels if in a metro area (0n AAA or govt rate) that is worth seeing, or in AF Inns when outside that realm, at least when I am TAD or PCS'ing. My memory is hazy of older trips, but this last PCS in Dec of '11, here were our mil stops with info. I will caveat everything by saying that we were traveling with our small dog, so at every place, we had to go into dog friendly rooms. As best as I could tell, this is counter-intuitive, and actually results in a larger, more well appointed space, though it costs a few more sticks of cheddar than a standard room. We drove home from Miramar to Oregon for an extended holiday leave period, and then actually started the move right after Christmas, so our route was more northern than most Navair moves....

1) Mountain Home AFB. Best all around BOQ/Inn/Lodge I have ever been to. Our room was literally an apartment that college kids would pay $2000/mo for in anywhere other than socal or the NE. It had several sitting rooms, multiple flat screens, expanded cable, free wifi, a full kitchen (complete with complimentary starbucks k-cups), 2 bathrooms, washer/dryer, and a completely detached giant bedroom with a well appointed king bed. It was quiet, had a big old kennel for our dog and dishes for him, and the base itself is actually pretty nice to walk around on at night, if you don't walk towards the coyotes. A++ as far as mil accommodations go.

2) F.E Warren AFB. One of the creepiest places I have been. WY is creepy enough, especially so in the winter with the howling winds, and I guess just knowing that about half our ICBM fleet was within a few miles was also unnerving. Super nice staff, very helpful, and very very interested in my iPhone. I guess they were android only in WY at that point. The base is about as old as John Paul Jones, having had numerous names over time, and it has a really impressive parade field that is probably only still in existence to put a lawnmower's family through college. The room was what you would expect from a 1800's building that was renovated probably sometime during the cold war when missiles still had liquid fuel. It was pretty small, had kind of a weird smell, and was amazingly way too hot given the subzero outdoor temps. There may have been a double bed in there, but I can't remember because I was too busy trying to turn down the heat. We nearly died the next day in a random blizzard so there is that.

3) Offut AFB. This place is a nightmare to get into if you arrive at night. I'm still not sure where the actual main gate is, but I know there are about 5 other gates that are not open, and all reside in complete darkness. After about 45 mins of driving around in the vicinity of the field, I was pretty tired and annoyed when we got to the lobby. They gave us keys, and directions to get to our room. As we followed the directions, we drove right out the gate, into town, and into some random neighborhood. As it turned out, our "room" was a very large 4 bedroom house in a local neighborhood. I can't really compare this to anything else, as I have never been to any other Q where you get your own house, but it was a cool place to crash after a pretty long day of driving.

4) Westin Chicago for 2 nights. See website, quite comfortable and does not apply to OP.

5) Wright-Patterson AFB. Another semi confusing base to get into and navigate, given it's split layout. Once we got in, we once again found ourselves in our own house. This one was somewhat smaller than the one in Omaha, but it was still nice and comfortable. Well appointed, and while a little older, it had a thermostat that worked and was within walking distance of their massive hospital which would have been good if we had both suffered massive heart attacks and had to limp to the ER. Actually, I don't know if it was that kind of hospital.....maybe it was the kind where there are monkeys and scientists. My satisfaction with the room/house was dashed by my annoyance that our schedule didn't allow me to see the XB-70 or the museum in general. I guess I can't die yet, as I haven't crossed that item off my list.

6) Dam Neck Annex Navy Lodge. One of the better Lodges I have stayed in. Roomy rooms, comfortable bed, and friendly staff. About 2 minute walk to the beach that in time, we would learn to like a lot more than any other beach in the area.

As a quick plug, I will say that the FLY NAVY in Key West is probably the best Navy Inn/Lodge/Hotel/whatever that I have stayed at. The rooms are actually quite nice, and it is (as I'm sure every AW knows) an easy walk to most places. I'd actually give the Lemoore BOQ a runner up, just because their beds are so damn comfortable, and the rooms in the renovated area are actually pretty nice. Minus points because nowhere to eat in Lemoore is open past 9 pm, and also it smells like cow poo, and also you might walk into a tree trying to get to the starbucks in the fog.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thread revival...

Anyone ever stay at the gateway in Atsugi?
Nope, but I can chime in on NABs Coronado and Little Creek.

Little Creek: Not bad. Building itself is a typical 1960s-80s modernist excrescence on the face of architecture. Interior is nicely renovated, probably when they did the whole "Gateway" switchover. NMCI computers in the lobby decided to commit hari-kiri and hang when I tried to login to doublecheck my flight home. Signage sucks; one arrow at the main gate pointing in a direction is not sufficient, people. I got completely lost trying to find the place and had to ask for directions at the Navy Lodge.

Coronado: Fleet average. Bed has a weird headboard with attached drawers, a rheostat-controlled bank of lights, and a mirror. Umm . . . OK. Right by the main gate, but see again re: insufficient signage. I ended up on the wrong side of base near the BUD/S barracks and transient BEQ, then finally realized what the heck was going on. The abandoned O-club is right next door, too. Boo! Also nice as a cross-assigned TACRONite to be able to walk to work in 5 minutes when I drill down there.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just stayed three weeks at NAS Key West, both the Fly Navy and Truman Annex. Fly Navy is far nicer of the two, good wifi, and the bar is cheap by KW standards. Cons: lobby and bar are always full of the retiree RVers. Truman is a short walk to all the stuff on Duvall, but otherwise was fleet average. WiFi was down at Truman whole week I was there; I asked the main desk and got a "they say they're working on it" shrug. So I went drinking instead of binge-watching "Vikings".

The Naval Academy BOQ, as I think has been mentioned, is very very small, maybe 15 rooms, all suites...it's intended for DVs primarily. But if you can get a room, they're still standard Gateway prices, about $60/night, which is maybe 30% of what any other room in DTA will cost you. Very nicely appointed, and there's an awesome club/bar/restaurant in the basement. It's a private member club, not an O-Club, but you have privileges there if you're staying at the Q.

I just stayed in Corpus last month when in town for a job interview. Q has not changed one bit since I was last there in 2000.

Re: Coronado - request a room facing the harbor side. Sun comes pounding through the windows in the afternoon on the Ocean side and, since it's San Diego, there's no air conditioning. It's also a fairly easy and pleasant walk (about a mile, through the Coronado Marina and park) to the middle of Coronado itself. The 32nd St Q has the sole advantage of being adjacent to a Trolley stop so you can get down to the Gaslamp and back at night without worrying about designated drivers or cabs.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Re: Coronado - request a room facing the harbor side. Sun comes pounding through the windows in the afternoon on the Ocean side and, since it's San Diego, there's no air conditioning.
Not to mention the fact that on the ocean side, if you leave the window open to get some air, you get to fall asleep to the sounds of automatic weapons fire in the distance, courtesy of the guys who work across the street.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone stayed at the Dragon Hill Lodge on the Yongsan Army base in Seoul Korea? I have been there, but never stayed (put up in a hotel for Ulchi Focus). My brother in law just got posted to Seoul with Boeing instructing KAL pilots. Thought I should use that as an excuse to expose Mrs Wink to Itaewan shopping.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not to mention the fact that on the ocean side, if you leave the window open to get some air, you get to fall asleep to the sounds of automatic weapons fire in the distance, courtesy of the guys who work across the street.

To be fair, in CA, that's just the sound of freedom...like a GE 404 or medium-chord chopper blade and accompanying tail-rotor buzz.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Thread revival...

There now on week 3 of 6. No complaints. Nice 2 room suite with kitchen(stove/oven/fridge/microwave), comfy beds, tv with cable beyond AFN, wifi is good. Though the airwing is in town so you have to listen to that crap during the daytime:)

dustydog

pilot
Atsugi is fine as far as Q's go. The rooms we stay in on det have a mini-kitchen and separate living area. Bonus: Massage chair in the lobby and free coffee out of the Japanese vending machine. Most rooms have wifi that is adequate.

Atsugi is small so all the things that you would need are within easy walking distance from the Q.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
Thread revival...

Atsugi has both a Lodge and a Gateway. The Lodge is the standard "new arrival" temporary housing. They rooms are very large by hotel standards, and have two large beds as well as a table and chairs. There may have been a love seat as well. There's a kitchenette. The place is overrun with families and most of them seem to think the hallways are playgrounds, so it can get noisy. Then again, families get stuck living there for weeks, so I guess kids get cabin fever.

The Gateway is a bit older. Rooms there have a separate living/kitchen and bedroom. The kitchen is small, but sufficient. It's also closer to the flight line. In theory, I believe the don't allow children (something about needing to be quiet due to crew rest) but this is selectively applied. Overall, they are fine.

Last time, we stayed at the Lodge because we were told it's better. Next time, it will be Gateway if it is allowed. We much prefer the separate spaces, largely so I can sleep in while husband gets ready for work.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Anyone stay at any of the Norfolk Qs lately? I'm going to be babysitting Midshipmen there for 5 weeks this summer.