• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rainman

pilot
Originally posted by E5B
Boomer, I know that there is a different boot worn with the flight suit. Can the suede be worn with flight suit? I've also heard that there is a digital flight suit, is this true?

Stepping in . . .
You can read USMC uniform regs @ www.usmc.mil. Only "flight boots" are authorized for wear with the flightsuit. I see this broken every day--but that's the regulations. The flightboots (issued @ API) are flame retardant and don't have metal loops that can break off and become FOD.

I've never seen nor heard of digital flight suits coming down . . where did you hear that?

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
They are also special soled so as to not soak up fluids such as JP-8, Hyd fluid, SNA sweat. They also have a steel toe to ensure that your toes remain intact if they come in contact with the instrument as you leave the cockpit in a rocket propelled manner. Of course, in keeping with fashion, there is a lovely set of desert flight boots which accompany the desert flight suit ensemble. Available at all Air Force bases because it costs too damn much for the Marine Corps to purchase unless in time of war. I doubt there is a digital flight suit a coming. The flight suit is purchased in bulk and is the same for All services. Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
For OCS prep, should I get a pair of Black All Leather Speed Lace (http://images.auctionworks.com/hi/49/48558/5094_ro.jpg) Or should I get the Black Jungles Speed Lace? How much should I spend on either pair?

I hear that at OCS now they give a pair of brown ones that dont need to be polished, so I guess the ones that I've listed above will do me over til I ship out. Thanks to any who reply. Semper Fi.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.
-Col.3:23-

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Anyone on the boots? Also, I was curious as to what kind of haircut you get when you get to OCS? Do they just give you a buzz? It doesn't matter to me. I'm just curious. Thanks.

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
It's really a matter of preference really. I love my all leathers, but some Marines swear by the jungles. Jungles are great if you're running through water (creeks and deep puddles) because they drain really quick and dry super fast. But, leathers are good if walking in rough terrain (minimal ankle support, but better than the jungles) which was really important in my case (ankles as big around as my wrists, which isn't saying much). So, you're going to have to make that call on your own.

They take ALL of your hair and give you a little back each week. Cut it all off before you go, get some sun on it (get the peeling out of the way), and you'll probably be much happier in the long run (and look more like a Marine).

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
If I go in with my hair short will this put me in the DI's "spotlight" like I'm acting like I'm a Marine before I really am? I don't want this to happen, and I'm sure through all of the people that have been through OCS there has been one civilian who did this. Thanks.

hobbs77

Hair:
What I am going to do is take it down to just stubble about two weeks before OCS starts. Then tan with SPF lotion to get my white head used to sun exposure.

Semper Fi, Do or Die, Gung-ho Gung-ho Gung-ho

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Good Call. Thanks.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
You won't be "spotlighted." They told us the same thing when I went. Not true at all. Besides, everyone will lose their hair in the first 10 days and the Sgt.Instructors won't know or care what your names are then anyway. Just get it out of the way now, touch your head to your hearts content (trust me, this will come into play when you get there), get some sun on it and the peeling over with, and it will be one less stress (a minor one, I admit)you'll have to deal with.

splendid_splinter

HMLA flyer
don't buzz all your hair off before you go.. just ensure that you have a conservative haircut.. the sun only beats down on the sides and back of your hair and the burning, if any, is minimal. unless you look like freakin Powder or something..

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
splinter's still hanging around....imagine that! j/k If you had hair like mine when you went to OCS AND were to see me from above the first time, you would have thought I was Powder. Let's see, 18 years + no sun EVER on top of my head = Goldmember and his little compac case that Beonce carries around for him. Not a pretty site. Cut it off, get used to it, it's not a big deal.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I'm thinking about getting some boots off of ebay. I searched "Military Jungle Boots" and got several results. One pair is speed lace, so should I jump on those? Is this what I should be searching for? How do you figure out what boot size one needs? Can you compare it to your shoe size or something like that? Thanks.

BigWorm

Marine Aviator
pilot
To sum it up, the new brown boots (hot weather) and (cold weather) will be suitable for humps, admin, etc.. you don’t have to shine them which saves time. You should be issued these at some point. For a supplemental boot, get jungles or something to PT in. If you want to see what the standard jungle boot looks like, check out the link below. I have no idea what these speed racer boots are that you speak of, but if you get the ones in the website, they should be good to go for OCS, until the black boot phase out date??? – look up the almar if you want to know when that is. On the O course, these are the boots that have the best grip for the rope climb (if that is an issue). I’m sure you can probably find the same boot for cheaper by looking around, but the Marine Shop should be a safe bet.
If you get Bates lights jungles, they are more comfortable for running; many people have them. The regular jungles would be better for breaking your feet in. Just use your shoe size as a reference – I have no idea how else your going to do it online.

http://marineshop.safeshopper.com/8/59.htm?336

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Thanks for the help and the link. To clarify... I never said anything about speed racer boots. I said the boots that I was looking at on ebay are speed Lace. Thanks again.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Any word on soaking the jungles in hot water to make them fit to your feet better? I've heard of soccer players doing this with their cleats, and I heard on another board that this would work. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.