• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boost 22FEB09

OC/EMC

I will be there around the same time as well. Does anyone know where exactly we need to go to check in on base?

Last year they had some signs with directions pointing to the correct location. It should be King Hall. Ask the gate guard when you come on base. Here is the CDO number for the OTC (401) 862-4321. I hope it is still the same from last year. The quarterdeck watches (probably LDO/CWO's) will have info for you when you check in. Just remeber, King Hall is treated just like a ship: permission to come aboard and everything. Have fun!

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
My orders only say NLT 20Feb. I was planning on checking in mid-afternoon on Feb 20 but a problem came up with the buddy I was going to stay with until my drive to RI. With no place to stay now I might end up checking in on the 18th. Anybody know what the early check-in's will be doing from Wed-Sun?

flyn707

Are you guys going to be checking in while in uniform, if so what uniform? Ive never been to a boat so i guess i will be doing some research. I will also be there on the night of the 18th.

OC/EMC

My orders only say NLT 20Feb. I was planning on checking in mid-afternoon on Feb 20 but a problem came up with the buddy I was going to stay with until my drive to RI. With no place to stay now I might end up checking in on the 18th. Anybody know what the early check-in's will be doing from Wed-Sun?

Well, from my experiences in 08, early check-ins ,once they got their rooms settled in, were free to come and go as you please. No one was checking up on us. I checked in mid-afternoon on the NLT day (a Sunday) and, come to find out, we were not starting until Tuesday! Monday was Presidents day. The quarterdeck watches simply told us to be back in our rooms by 2200 on Monday night. It may be differant since you will be there during the work week, but I doubt it. The transition to Officer is supposed to start there. They wouldn't ask you to put back on your uniform for a few days and do B.S. work.

I checked in wearing my uniform, but I remember being one of the only ones. Some people's orders stated that they check in in civy's. Mine didn't

Newport itself is kinda shutdown in the winter. Aside from a 10 screen theatre outside base, there isn't too much to do locally. I would try and time your arrival for the NLT day. It is going to be boring enough at times without having to kill a few days BEFORE you even start NSI. Good luck and watch where you step!

fal09

Well, from my experiences in 08, early check-ins ,once they got their rooms settled in, were free to come and go as you please. No one was checking up on us. I checked in mid-afternoon on the NLT day (a Sunday) and, come to find out, we were not starting until Tuesday! Monday was Presidents day. The quarterdeck watches simply told us to be back in our rooms by 2200 on Monday night. It may be differant since you will be there during the work week, but I doubt it. The transition to Officer is supposed to start there. They wouldn't ask you to put back on your uniform for a few days and do B.S. work.

I checked in wearing my uniform, but I remember being one of the only ones. Some people's orders stated that they check in in civy's. Mine didn't

Newport itself is kinda shutdown in the winter. Aside from a 10 screen theatre outside base, there isn't too much to do locally. I would try and time your arrival for the NLT day. It is going to be boring enough at times without having to kill a few days BEFORE you even start NSI. Good luck and watch where you step!

Thanks for all the info. I'm sure this question has been asked before but do we need to bring our boots and utilites for BOOST?

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
My guess is that you guys will probably mustering in the morning and then doing your own thing for the rest of the day. I had a MSgt who was pretty chill, but I don't know who's running it now, so it might be a little different. As far as boots and utes, I don't recall having to wear mine at all.

Surfer727

I spoke with the MSgt for BOOST last week and he told me basically what OC/EMC said. We'll get there, get settled, and if time permits get an early start on the admin stuff.

Anybody know if the galley's good?

SkyBoundET2

does anyone have a phone number for a BOOST POC? I need to find out my class number and unit number to correctly forward my mail.... So the E Club is all set for the 20th? sounds good! I should be leaving this wednesday- the 18th, or maybe Thurs- based on previous advice to show up on the NLT date. I would like at least one day to get settled before it's game on though. Then again- class doesn't convene until monday?

I don't think BOOST will be too terribly trying for most people. Personally, i've never even SEEN calc, trig, or physics, so i might have to work harder than some of you, but it IS still the Navy. And it would be wise to remember the purpose of BOOST- to prepare people who either: 1) never went to college 2) have been out of college for quite some time for college level work. I'm confident the classes will be tailored to (quickly, of course) start low and work up. I'll be hitting up that extra-study time, myself. :)

OC/EMC

I spoke with the MSgt for BOOST last week and he told me basically what OC/EMC said. We'll get there, get settled, and if time permits get an early start on the admin stuff.

Anybody know if the galley's good?

The Galley wasn't bad. I have limited experience with shore galleys, but I can't recall too many bad meals. It is a little bit better than the food I had onboard subs, and way better than any meal I ate on a carrier! They always have fresh fruit and a good salad bar. Breakfast includes the usual eggs/meat product, but they also try to have pancakes, waffles, made to order omelets, boxed cereal, oatmeal, several different types of toast/bagels. On PT days, I always had a small breakfast of fruit and a bagel.

Lunch/Dinner had about 4 different main meals to choose from, depending on which line you went into. Desserts included bagged cookis like Oreos, ice cream, cakes, pies, puddings, etc. Most of that was off limits to NSI, but on the weekends, I made up for the days I missed.
I would recommend the clam chowder when they serve it. Being that you are in New England, it was pretty good.

Just rememeber: This is the place where a lot of Navy officers are made. The food is going to be on-par with expectations.

BOOST guys always seem to be in better spirits than us NSI guys were. I always saw them in there Johnny-Cashes while in the school house. I never saw them march anywhere. The few BOOST'ers I chatted with thought that it was a pretty easy time. They were more worried about what went on at NSI. BOOST to NSI seems like it would be similiar to going from 'C' school back to 'A' school.

A few OC's at my unit who did that last year told me on their first day of NSI (after BOOST), that they were all just hanging around , shooting the shit, waiting for their first day of NSI in their new barracks. Their new Chief walks into the wing and down the hallway. Everyone started greating him and saying "what's up Chief?" and "How's it going?". When he reached the end of the hallway, he turned around and began chewing ass; yelling at everyone about the transitions they needed to make and how this wasn't BOOST anymore. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall. I bet some peole were wondering WTF just happend.

Its all good though.

SandSailor

So here is a question for those flying in....

Uniform or no... we have to check-in in uniform, so it would be easiest to just wear it all the way rather than dig it out of a bag, hand iron it, and through it on in the airport bathroom, then report...

Does anyone know if the airport has a USO, do they have their own bathroom facilites (they might be cleaner/less busy than the rest of the airport) Plus you could trust someone with your bag... I'm thinking of where to get changed....

I was also wondering.... anyone that is already there, have you found a thrift shop...and is the uniform on base and walking distance?

I need to buy a jonny cash top.... we switched over to the black and tans a while back and I didn't even think of needing the old uniform since this one replaces them... so they are packed up...

Thanks!
See y'all soon!

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
There is no USO in the airport. I drove but picked up somebody from the airport and had to chang in the bathroom. It sucked and the bathroom was dirty. I would just fly (travel) in civilian clothes and change in one of our rooms before reporting to MSGT. PSD is not processing anybody tomorrow so it will be a long boring day. With tomorrow being the last day to check-in I guess will see everybody tomorrow. BOOSTers anyway.

BrickNole

pilot
BOOST is going nice for everyone right now. looks like lots of liberty before classes start on the 9th of march. going to boston again this weekend to see the celtics and probably hit up Jillians bar. hoorah platoons! hoorah raincoats! hoorah yellow PT flags!

SubmarineWife

We (New England) are supposed to get some nasty weather this weekend. Especially Sunday. So, be careful! Make sure you can get back to Newport!