• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bonhomme Richard fire

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What was the point of putting him in pre trial confinement for 3 months if they didn’t have enough evidence to hold him there? They held the guy for 3 months and then just let him walk.

And only now are they putting together this search warrant?

Seems odd
You're so fucking lost. It's quite astounding. I'm honestly not trying to be mean here, but I'm seriously dumbfounded by the depth of your inability to process information.

nodropinufaka

Because holding someone in pretrial confinement has nothing to do with having "enough evidence to hold them there." It requires:
  1. A reasonable belief that a crime has been committed, AND
  2. A reasonable belief that the accused committed the crime, AND
  3. That in the absence of confinement, the accused will commit more crimes or is a flight risk, AND
  4. That lesser means of restraint won't prevent 3.
If they're no longer deemed a flight risk, or one of the multiple reviewing authorities of the pretrial confinement says "no, I don't agree, you didn't prove 1-4 to my satisfaction," the accused is released before trial. This is a state that can change. Someone can be a flight risk and then change their mind. Or, they can get put on pre-trial restriction, violate it, and then get thrown in the clink.

Look at the warrant. Look at the first page of the warrant. Look at the very top line of the first page of the warrant. Look at literally the first thing you see. It was filed under seal 11 months ago.
But that’s what I meant.

He was held and then released after 3 months. Couldn’t find the dates he was held but the fire was July 2020 and it was announced July 29, 2020 he was charged and the confinement was 3 months- the Warrant was Sep 2020 then they must have overlapped. No?

So if he was in brigg Aug to November and they executed the Warrant in September.

Doesn’t seem odd that they then released him and sent him TAD and only now they charging him? They didn’t have enough back then with the warrant and let him out.

must be some kind of new evidence that came to light.

I think that the kid likely did it. All arrows point to him. Just wondering how they gonna charge him.

Just like Eddie Gallagher did it.

HokiePilot

pilot
Contributor
It’s kind of a lose-lose at this point. If the sailor is found not guilty, then JAGC missed another target they took aim at. If the sailor is found guilty, he’s got no money so there’s no restitution to the govt for the loss of a capital ship.

You seem to miss the entire point of criminal law. The Navy is out one capital ship. It already lost.. The question is how to proceed from here.

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You seem to miss the entire point of criminal law. The Navy is out one capital ship. It already lost.. The question is how to proceed from here.
Seriously. Should we not prosecute unlawful homicides? I mean, the victim's dead, and depending on one's personal beliefs, there hasn't been a successful resurrection in at least 1,988 years, if ever.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I mean, nah I get the point. I’m not saying don’t prosecute - by all means, prosecute, apply due punishment, and make an example.

But I’m pretty sure most of our sailors already get the concept of “don’t give up the ship by lighting it on fire on purpose” so I’m not sure how a very visible trial and prosecution will change behavior. Obviously, it was pretty impressive and humbling to watch the thousands of selfless men and women who fought this fire bravely, and at great personal risk, over the days that it burned.

In terms of how to proceed, I’d like to see our topiline budget go up by several billion, our strategic shipyards recapitalized, our talent grown in size and refocused on warfighting skills rather than admin/GMTs, and our PEOs acquire some new winners that aren’t decom’d or sold in < 10 years (cough^LCS^MarkVI^cough) or overspent such that production halted early and we don’t know what to do with them (^Zumwalt^cough^), but that’s all above my paygrade.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I guess I’m not being clear, or poorly conveying what I’m trying to convey. My bad. My point was basically: yes of course prosecute, but maybe don’t make it into a big spectacle.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
What was the point of putting him in pre trial confinement for 3 months if they didn’t have enough evidence to hold him there?
If you are referencing Gallagher they confined him because their was testimony of witness tampering.

Sorry, I got lost in the swamp of this conversation. I see now what was being referenced.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I guess I’m not being clear, or poorly conveying what I’m trying to convey. My bad. My point was basically: yes of course prosecute, but maybe don’t make it into a big spectacle.
Well, the spectacle will be raised by the press. It was a big news story and the trial will be well covered.

The real point is to do a sound investigation, gather appropriate evidence, if able charge him, and do your best in court. No need for an avenging angel of justice or a lazy prosecution.