• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bonhomme Richard fire

nodropinufaka

Weren’t you going to be out of pocket for a few months for another multinational task force something or other again? Did that get cancelled? I loved that journey for you.

Delta Variant locked down Asia travel so all my trips for the next 4 months got cancelled.

nodropinufaka

I’m sure you’d guys all enjoy having beers with me.

I like drinking and fishing and other outdoor activities.

Could even take you guys deep sea fishing on my boat. Only if we agree to talk about climate change on the drive out to the ahi piles.

We all vets even though we may disagree and you guys like crushing my posts- it’s all good to me lol

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot

This Navy Times (I know…) article is interesting. How did it get that disorganized? Where else are these catastrophes looming? It also mentions a lot of admirals by name—some of whom are still in the seat. The three-star fight has me cringing.

croakerfish

pilot

This Navy Times (I know…) article is interesting. How did it get that disorganized? Where else are these catastrophes looming? It also mentions a lot of admirals by name—some of whom are still in the seat. The three-star fight has me cringing.
It’s almost like the predictable outcome of any disaster disincentivized them from taking responsibility if there’s any chance of making someone else hold the bag.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
It’s almost like the predictable outcome of any disaster disincentivized them from taking responsibility if there’s any chance of making someone else hold the bag.
Jeez…what ever happened to “all hands on deck?” I fully understand the need for a concise chain of command structure but that can be built while the on-scene commander fights the fire. I don’t know enough to wag fingers…but the fact that the CO of the ship had his crew standing on the pier is, on the surface, a very bad look.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
…but the fact that the CO of the ship had his crew standing on the pier is, on the surface, a very bad look.
The compartment exploded shortly after he made that call to evacuate. That decision saved over a dozen lives.

Last edited:

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The compartment exploded shortly after he made that call to evacuate. That decision saved over a dozen lives.
Huh…I’ve been through shipboard fire-fighting but never learned the idea was to fight a fire from off the ship. I’ll state again that I wasn’t there, so any stone I cast has little value, but I can’t shake the feeling that there were better (closer) spaces aboard the ship to continue to battle the fire before it spread and still keep crew-members as safe as conditions allow.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK. So the skipper said to self "that compartment is going to blow any minute, I am going to abandon ship." Seriously, what motivated the move to evacuate. If it wasn't because he thought the compartment was going to explode it is only incidental that his decision saved lives.

If I bet on a horse because I like it's name, and it wins, it isn't because I did a great job handicapping the race.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
As a watchstander aboard a CVN I honestly believed that if the ship was on fire, we were expected to do everything possible to stop the fire and save the ship. Yard work or not. That doesn’t mean needlessly sacrificing lives to do it, but I can’t imagine completely abandoning a huge ship like that.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Huh…I’ve been through shipboard fire-fighting but never learned the idea was to fight a fire from off the ship. I’ll state again that I wasn’t there, so any stone I cast has little value, but I can’t shake the feeling that there were better (closer) spaces aboard the ship to continue to battle the fire before it spread and still keep crew-members as safe as conditions allow.
As a watchstander aboard a CVN I honestly believed that if the ship was on fire, we were expected to do everything possible to stop the fire and save the ship. Yard work or not. That doesn’t mean needlessly sacrificing lives to do it, but I can’t imagine completely abandoning a huge ship like that.
We have to distinguish at sea and in port. At sea, losing the ship means losing the entire crew. In port, a shipboard fire is no different than any other building fire unless there's nuclear material onboard.

Additionally, in a shipyard environment, fed fire is contracted to take the lead on protracted fire response. They are civilians, and they don't enter structure fires unless it's to save someone's life.

By the time the fed fire arrived at 0830, the ship was lost. Let alone when the CO arrived at 0905 and gave the order to evacuate at 0930.

OK. So the skipper said to self "that compartment is going to blow any minute, I am going to abandon ship." Seriously, what motivated the move to evacuate?
Tell me you didn't read the investigation report without telling me you didn't read the investigation report.

The fire main was inoperable due to poor maintenance practices and eventually cutting power (the fire was believed to be electrical). The ship was entirely smoked out; no one could see past their SCBAs. Comms were lost. The only reason to keep people down there was to kill them.

After evacuation, fed fire and SDFD reattempted entry with external water sources. They attempted to gain access for the next half hour, but couldn't. They also decided to cease all efforts to enter the ship about an hour after the CO had made the call for his crew, which reaffirmed the CO's decision. I was a little off on my recollection of the report - it was a little more than an hour rather than 15 minutes - but the fact remains that the CO correctly assessed that conditions were untenable.

Last edited: