• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bonhomme Richard fire

exNavyOffRec

So probably about 5-10 years left in her, given how long the Tarawas and the LPHs lasted. That's a lot of work and money to repair a ship to reclaim maybe a third of its service life out of it. I'm not surprised to hear the Navy has made the official decision to scrap. I think we were all kind of expecting it and just waiting for the study to complete and the announcement made.

It's still amazing that this is happening... amazing is one word for it.

The time to get her back is probably a big reason, you could get a new ship out in that time, the USN will throw lots of money at a ship to get her working, look at the GW and her fire, while the fire damage wasn't as extensive the cost to repair was not cheap, the info passed from people we knew on her was that the shipyard was told "whatever it cost just get her fixed".

hscs

pilot
The time to get her back is probably a big reason, you could get a new ship out in that time, the USN will throw lots of money at a ship to get her working, look at the GW and her fire, while the fire damage wasn't as extensive the cost to repair was not cheap, the info passed from people we knew on her was that the shipyard was told "whatever it cost just get her fixed".
Apples and oranges. Fire damage was much less significant, nuclear powered vessel, and a rapidly closing date to shift home port to become the first CVN based overseas.

Another consideration - even with all the money and time in the world, the repairs would take away from other ship maintenance, causing delays on that maintenance.

exNavyOffRec

Apples and oranges. Fire damage was much less significant, nuclear powered vessel, and a rapidly closing date to shift home port to become the first CVN based overseas.

Another consideration - even with all the money and time in the world, the repairs would take away from other ship maintenance, causing delays on that maintenance.

It would take time and money away from other projects for sure.

The damage was less than the BHR, but the damage itself was quite significant to some very critical systems and with her going to be the first CVN overseas is why they said whatever money it takes they would spend.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wonder what the max chargeable offenses are and their max sentences. I’m mildly upset that I can’t argue for treason. Of course, this is assuming guilt.
I was bored so I took a quick scroll through the punitive articles and found a few gems:
  • Article 108, Destruction of government property - DD, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and 10 years confinement.
  • Article 114, Reckless endangerment - DD, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and 1 year confinement.
  • Article 126, Aggravated arson - DD, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and 25 years confinement.
No idea if you could hang Article 110 on them for improperly hazarding the BHR, but that's "death or such punishment as a court-martial may direct." Over to the JAGs whether that article can even apply if you're not underway and on the watchbill.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was bored so I took a quick scroll through the punitive articles and found a few gems:
  • Article 108, Destruction of government property - DD, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and 10 years confinement.
  • Article 114, Reckless endangerment - DD, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and 1 year confinement.
  • Article 126, Aggravated arson - DD, forfeiture of all pay and allowances, and 25 years confinement.
No idea if you could hang Article 110 on them for improperly hazarding the BHR, but that's "death or such punishment as a court-martial may direct." Over to the JAGs whether that article can even apply if you're not underway and on the watchbill.

I would hope that some counts of attempted murder/manslaughter/assault could be thrown in the mix as well since it endangered the crew and firefighters and injured a few.

If it was a lone sailor that committed arson that would be two ships and hundreds of millions of $ lost because of two morons in 8 years.

MGoBrew11

pilot

One would think reckless endangerment x (# of souls onboard that day + # of souls had to fight the fire) = # of reckless endangerment charges. Got to be more than 1 year available there.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would hope that some counts of attempted murder/manslaughter/assault could be thrown in the mix as well since it endangered the crew and firefighters and injured a few.

If it was a lone sailor that committed arson that would be two ships and hundreds of millions of $ lost because of two morons in 8 years.
I looked at that as I was skimming, but the way Article 80 was written, I thought it could require the Government to prove that you consciously intended to commit the crime. Like, say I point a gun at your head, pull the trigger, it squibs, and you tackle me. That'd be attempted murder, probably with assault as a lesser included offense, because I consciously intended to shoot you in the face.

With arson, though, can you prove the suspect intended to kill the entire duty section and everyone living aboard ship? Or did they just chuck a lighter into a triwall full of crap in lower V because they were a bored malcontent, wanted to stir up shit, and didn't think it'd burn the whole damn ship up? Also, the difference between arson and aggravated arson is that the latter is burning a building or structure when it has people in it to be endangered.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
For reference: Casey Fury was indicted on two counts of arson (he attempted to light the ship on fire a second time, which is when he was caught). He plead guilty and received 17 years in prison and $400M in restitution that he'll never actually pay a dime of.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
For reference: Casey Fury was indicted on two counts of arson (he attempted to light the ship on fire a second time, which is when he was caught). He plead guilty and received 17 years in prison and $400M in restitution that he'll never actually pay a dime of.
IDK...the average prisoner earns 92 cents an hour....deduct some cash for cigarettes and butt lube and he might pay off about .002%.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The timetable is official now, inactivation in April.

Rebuilding and repairing the 22-year-old ship would have cost up to $3.2 billion and taken five to seven years, Rear Adm. Eric Ver Hage, commander of the Navy Regional Maintenance Center, told reporters in November

lol more like $10b and 10+ years... even then her crew would still be discovering cut corners until the last day of deployment.