• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bonhomme Richard fire

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
So, taking a little risk here - reposting CNO's internal words on a public forum - but I think these paragraphs are 100% OPSEC-friendly and also relevant to any who think the Navy or sailors are weaker than in days past:
Excellent note...thanks for posting.

Just because the message is being amplified has little to know bearing on whether or not the initial messenger was or was not talking out his ass. I'd like to know what led him to that statement. I'm sure he knows a crapton about civ firefighting, but I wonder what he does/doesn't know about shipboard firefighting.
yet he was correct

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ver Hage said about 60% of the ship would likely need to be replaced to have it fully restored, including the flight deck, mast and many levels directly below the flight deck.

I knew the fire was intense, but I didn't realize the damage was so extensive until I saw that number.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Commissioned in 1998, so 22-ish.
So probably about 5-10 years left in her, given how long the Tarawas and the LPHs lasted. That's a lot of work and money to repair a ship to reclaim maybe a third of its service life out of it. I'm not surprised to hear the Navy has made the official decision to scrap. I think we were all kind of expecting it and just waiting for the study to complete and the announcement made.

It's still amazing that this is happening... amazing is one word for it.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
So probably about 5-10 years left in her, given how long the Tarawas and the LPHs lasted. That's a lot of work and money to repair a ship to reclaim maybe a third of its service life out of it. I'm not surprised to hear the Navy has made the official decision to scrap. I think we were all kind of expecting it and just waiting for the study to complete and the announcement made.

It's still amazing that this is happening... amazing is one word for it.
I’d say at least ten more years, as LHD-1 was commissioned in 1989 and is still active. I wonder if there’s any thought given to bringing back Peleliu

P3 F0

None
If that asshole is guilty, I hope he/she gets to spend the rest of their life in Leavenworth turning big rocks into small rocks.
Wonder what the max chargeable offenses are and their max sentences. I’m mildly upset that I can’t argue for treason. Of course, this is assuming guilt.