• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boeing Tanker: Beans, Bullets, Oil, and politics .. and did we mention: politics ??

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Until it's not. Aircraft we buy these days need to last 50 years. Better buy the most flexible you can.

In the grand scheme of things though I think it is very small hit against the aircraft. You can't have everything, even though the USAF tries all the time. The KC-30 is more flexible in other areas that are of higher priority, like much more fuel and cargo capacity. And I think that MC-130 and KC-130's will be able to provide the USAF and USMC with all their V-22 refuelling needs anyways.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
I think Boeing's claims are inflated and hyperbole, but I just wanted to hear from folks here since that seemed particularly relevant (if true).

The protest also alleges that a fully loaded KC-45 might have too high a stall speed to refuel a C-130.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I couldn't find why it can't. It drags a standard Navy drogue, right. Unless its stall speed is 250 knots or something, I'm at a loss.

I've waited in line behind hapless S-3B Vikings that could catch the tanker with proper intercept geometry, but struggled to get enough "impact" energy to seat the probe in the drogue.

Regardless, for the CV and MV-22 CONOPS, KC-130 variants are far more ideal anyway.

OSPREYrefueling.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think Boeing's claims are inflated and hyperbole, but I just wanted to hear from folks here since that seemed particularly relevant (if true).

The protest also alleges that a fully loaded KC-45 might have too high a stall speed to refuel a C-130.

Here's some local reporting from Tacoma that offers yet more insight into the tanker saga.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Somehow I think that the AF is going to be the loser in all of this. More bad press, extensive delays, and an aging platform staying around longer possibly degrading service to the "fleet".

Will we ever be able to award a major contract again without 3x secondguessing?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
GAO backs BOEING protest

GAO backs BOEING tanker protest

Who sez ol' guys don't know anything?? If any of you boys have a need for consulting work, please keep me in mind::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

A4sForever on 6-08-08 said:
W/ the high level, public "executions" of senior AF officials ... watch for Boeing to get another look-see in the tanker go-'round.

There's already a full-court press going on compliments of the totally ineffective WA state delegation. And Boeing's corporate HQ is now in Chicago, IL. Now what other politician of recent repute is from there .... ??? :)

Remember -- it's ALWAYS politics & $$$$ first in line w/ military procurement contracts .... always. :)
:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

(thread merged)

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
Not to turn this thread political....but I remember A4s a few weeks ago mentioning that Boeing was still banking on getting the contract because a certain presidential candidate from Chi-town, (Boeing's new corporate HQ) would be amenable to it.