• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boeing Tanker: Beans, Bullets, Oil, and politics .. and did we mention: politics ??

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
Is an Airbus A330, licensed out to Northrop Grumman.
As a complete outsider I'd have to say I'm surprised due to Boeing's history of tankers and the almost deal of the KC-767, but I'd love to hear the opinions of those in the know here.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Unbelievable - Boeing loses AF Tanker

Apologies up front is this is not the appropriate 'room' to post this question.

Just read that the AF announced its selection of the Northrop Grumman / Airbus 330 KC-45 as its strat tanker of choice. Does anyone know if its going to have hoses (MPRS) or is it just a newer fancier "Iron Maiden"? Couldn't tell from the pictures.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is an Airbus A330, licensed out to Northrop Grumman.
As a complete outsider I'd have to say I'm surprised due to Boeing's history of tankers and the almost deal of the KC-767, but I'd love to hear the opinions of those in the know here.

It wasn't quite Boeing's to lose. The earlier missteps gave the NGC team a shot at the prize if they came in compliant and at lower cost.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
mobile, alabama is america!
Ridiculous. That's like saying a VW or Toyota built in America is an "American" product. I see you've drunk the Kool-Aid. Total pap, soft food for infants ....

Welcome to YOUR global market.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...The earlier missteps gave the NGC team a shot...
Baloney. Explain why the misdeeds of the few should cost Boeing and it's employees (and the American military) a quality American product. One that's light years ahead in development compared to it's Airbus competition.

Can anyone say Airbus 380, for example??? And example of current Airbus R&D???

It is a complete pile of overpriced, will never pay for itself, narcissistic crap when compared to Boeing 747-anything.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Ridiculous. That's like saying a VW or Toyota built in America is an "American" product. I see you've drunk the Kool-Aid. Total pap, soft food for infants ....

Welcome to YOUR global market.

until about a year ago, chrysler was owned by some german company (i forgot which one now)- does that mean if you bought a chrysler car, you would not have been buying american? i bet that so many of the products you buy in the store are actually made by companies which are actually owned by other foreign companies.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
until about a year ago, chrysler was owned by some german company (i forgot which one now)....
Uhhhh ... it was called Daimler-Benz. As in Mercedes???

You're still ridiculous if you think this is a victory for American industry. But then ... you ARE in high school and have a way to go .... let us hope you make it.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
It's going to put food on the table in an estimated 1100 American homes in Mobile. I can't say that's a total loss.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
It's going to put food on the table in an estimated 1100 American homes in Mobile. I can't say that's a total loss.
You think it's a zero sum game??? Some of you guys ... I don't know what your thought processes are ...

How about the end of the 767 line @ Boeing as a result of the decision?? How many American homes will that "put food on the table" for ... ???

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
You think it's a zero sum game??? Some of you guys ... I don't know what your thought processes are ...

How about the end of the 767 line @ Boeing as a result of the decision?? How many American homes will that "put food on the table" for ... ???

well, it's a tradeoff- you're right that america would probably have benefited a lot lot more from boeing winning the contract. i was just trying to say that this doesn't seem like a total loss since a lot of the money will still be spent here, except for the profits.

it's really sad though- boeings are my favorite airliners.

istockphoto_2335386_shift_key.jpg

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Baloney. Explain why the misdeeds of the few should cost Boeing and it's employees (and the American military) a quality American product. One that's light years ahead in development compared to it's Airbus competition.

Can anyone say Airbus 380, for example??? And example of current Airbus R&D???

It is a complete pile of overpriced, will never pay for itself, narcissistic crap when compared to Boeing 747-anything.

Not saying that at all. Baloney = overreaction. When the few were top acquisition counterparts at Boeing and in USAF and billions were at stake, it simply opened door for NGC to compete (ie gave them a shot at competing when Boeing stumbled). How many times do you think Boeing should get to play fair? If those employees lose or lost anything, they should look to those few who knew full well what they were doing. Everyone in this business sits through regular Ethics training and the whole process has built in reminders of what is kosher and what is not.

I'm willing to bet the bids were squeakly clean because of all the scrutiny. Government is obligated to debrief Boeing and it will come out what the source selection team used to determine the winner.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
My thought process is that somebody in Mobile will have a job who didn't previously have one, or hopefully has a better one. Again, not a TOTAL loss, as in being produced OCONUS. The commment wasn't going any deeper than that.