• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Boeing Tanker: Beans, Bullets, Oil, and politics .. and did we mention: politics ??

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As someone who works with both Boeing and Airbus products daily (ups), Airbus makes shitty, shitty products.

I have a buddy that flew both the A320 and the 737 (C-40), surprised me by saying he preferred the Airbus. Said it was just a better plane overall.
As for Airbus winning, with so few American defense contractors left I am happy to see some more competition, even if it does come from a European (not just French) conglomerate. May the best plane win........even if it isn't American.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I have a buddy that flew both the A320 and the 737 (C-40), surprised me by saying he preferred the Airbus. Said it was just a better plane overall....
Don't know what his particular experience was but I "think" the C-40 was a -700 series 737 which came out in 1993. It's upgraded from its derivative earlier 737-300's, to be sure -- but it's still not as "new" as its present competing Airbus technology. Kinda like comparing apples and French pastry ....

Simple stuff: the 320-'Bus is wider, fully digital fly-by-wire, computer maintenance enabled, easy(er) to upgrade electronically, and has larger cargo doors amongst it's bag of tricks.

The 737?? The 737 fuselage is the same X-section as the 707/727. :)

Like I say ... it's like comparing apples and French bread.

The Whale, for example, made it's Bus competitors look like shit when all things were considered. Chiefly crossing the Big Pond performance, reliability, power, speed, and just being a pilot's airplane .... and that's what counts for me.

Each to his own, but after flying in and training on both companies' aircraft over the years -- I'll take Boeing. Having ridden in the tube on both as a passenger and deadheading crewmember -- I'll take Boeing. Given the choice of promoting a domestic company or a European-based "consortium" .... I'll take Boeing.

Anytime, Baby ...

flopper

First Bell labs, now our military aircraft
UH-72Apic1.jpg

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Somebody was trying to tell me one time that the Airbus had a common setup for all its aircraft, i.e. if you qualed on one, you were set for all of their planes. But with Boeing, you have to get a different qual (not sure if using the right terminology here) for each aircraft, and some of the control setups are different. Also, doesn't Airbus use a stick compared to Boeing's yoke? Not a huge factor but interesting nonetheless.

nugget61

pilot
Somebody was trying to tell me one time that the Airbus had a common setup for all its aircraft, i.e. if you qualed on one, you were set for all of their planes. But with Boeing, you have to get a different qual (not sure if using the right terminology here) for each aircraft, and some of the control setups are different. Also, doesn't Airbus use a stick compared to Boeing's yoke? Not a huge factor but interesting nonetheless.

I know that the trip to get cert in a 767 (if currently cert in 757) is about 3 weeks (including school, sims and checkride).
The buses that I've seen have armrest style joysticks.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I guess it's now best two out of three. I just hope that it hasn't been scheduled for a best of seven series.

nvrg1vup

Boeing lobbied the heck out of the politicians. Who do you think they know in the White House?

Artist's Conception of Tanker = Artist's Conception of the MMA
It's so dreamy.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
sick burn. regardless of their shenanigans, they ought to have some kind of say in what they get...am I right?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Secretary Gates is so fed up with the Air Force, I'm half expecting him to outsource their mission to an HR firm out of Bangalore. They'll take what he gives them and be happy they still have their jobs, at this point!