• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Blue Angels - is there a physical fitness program and dietary guidelines ... guide?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I have no crazy aerobatic Blue Angels workout routine, and still have yet to black out. Dynamic flying can be a workout, but the most important thing that I have noticed is how often you do it. Don't pull any G's for a week or two, and you are going to need to take it a little easier at first, than you would if you were flying 1-2 flights a day doing the same. I'm sure exercise, diet, body type all play into it as well, but that is the single most noticeable factor to me.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Pretty sure, to be effective, any prescribed workout routine should be performed in the tightest blue unitard you can shoehorn your junk into. Deep knee bends, lunges and squats a must.

HuggyU2

None
My goal is to pursue aerobatics and I figure the BAs is a good group to emulate in this regard.
No need to.

Just eat what is considered "healthy" and you will be fine.
Fitness: Get fit. Questions? Functional movements, aerobic endurance, etc...
Using the Blues' routine is overkill... and unnecessary.

Once you start hanging around with the civilian aerobatic folks, you'll find out all you need.

But for now,... doing loops in a Super Decathlon won't require a personal trainer and health advisor.

Just work on not throwing up.

Baby steps...

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Pretty sure, to be effective, any prescribed workout routine should be performed in the tightest blue unitard you can shoehorn your junk into. Deep knee bends, lunges and squats a must.

You forgot the snatches. Oh, and Kegels too.

danpass

not throwing up, that's the catch lol (I haven't but the queasiness becomes a distraction).

Since I'm not in the .mil every flight is out of my pocket so I was hoping to find something on the ground that would help.

Since the Blues don't wear g-suits I thought maybe they might do something a bit more specific in terms of physical fitness.

MasterBates

I've pulled more Gs without a G-Suit than with.. I have the MAF framed somewhere in a box as well!

I do have the fat-boy G tolerance though.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
A guy I know who currently works with the Blues says this is apparently a pretty big part of their workout regimen

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
In all seriousness, I do have a G tolerance workout given to me by a USN av physiologist type, I'll see if I can find it tonight and post it. From what I recall, its mostly a core workout, I think.....

danpass

In all seriousness, I do have a G tolerance workout given to me by a USN av physiologist type, I'll see if I can find it tonight and post it. From what I recall, its mostly a core workout, I think.....
thanks, looking forward to it. In the meantime, red, has led to two google finds :D :

http://www.cnatra.navy.mil/pubs/folder2/6110.1.pdf
6a. Based on recommendations from the Director ASTC at NASL, the greatest benefit obtained from a workout program for improving G-tolerance is through working the lower body. Specifically, a combination of squat-type exercises, leg curls, leg extensions and calf raises. These should be performed at least once per week. Also, because the number one musculoskeletal injury in jet aviators is neck strains, it is also important to include neck/trapezius exercises in a weekly program.
b. Aerobic training actually improves "staying power" by allowing rapid recovery from straining against G-forces. However, excessive training, such as needed for marathons, has been shown to produce abnormal heart rhythms in the centrifuge and is actually a detriment to G-tolerance. It is recommended that aerobic training be included in the program to allow for 20-30 minutes of moderate aerobic training three times per week and not to exceed five times per week.

http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA204689

Naturally those talk about centrifuge a lot along with daily flights, neither of which I currently have access to lol. Just have to make do.

Renegade One

None
I think the "Snowbirds" do it right…always impressed that their team seemed to be a wildly diverse group of short/tall, skinny/chubby husky, hairy/bald…whoever could fly the frakin' jet well enough seemed to be their "qual criteria". Also had to have about half with French names, as I recollect…which could be a LIMFAC for the "Blues 'n' 'Birds".

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
Pretty sure, to be effective, any prescribed workout routine should be performed in the tightest blue unitard you can shoehorn your junk into. Deep knee bends, lunges and squats a must.[/quote

Exactly--and they have to be more handsome than most; I mean, that can't be a coincedence. And then then unitard cannot be discounted.... If you wear the unitard then you would be on the unsalted, broiled chicken breast and brocolli spear diet.