• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Big Wing to T-45 IP?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
OK, then. Not trying to start anything here. I still use "Wilco" too- just didn't see a reason to die on that particular hill.

Smilies, and shit.
Sorry. I just didn't know where to find the half facetious emoji. ;)

WILCO, eh? Carry the fire brother!

Rockriver

pilot
And no nasty arachnids like Kingsville.
I recall returning to my home in Kingsville only to find a very large, nasty arachnid attached to my front door and challenging my entry. Taratulas and javelina's were not uncommon sights in the neighborhood.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Other countries use the term a lot- I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. The one I get tripped up by when I'm overseas is calling the "pattern" a "circuit". Also, slot times and asking permission to start. Ugh.
I’ve gotten into the habit of calling it a tarmac, but as you said it’s probably he result of lots of EUCOM flying. I’m with you though, I could never get circuit programmed into my head.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I still feel that way about "Line up and wait". It has been 3 or 4 years now,

Before the change, it was always a brief point by others when I'd fly down out of Nassau when supporting AUTEC. "Oh, and just be prepared, they say something like 'line up and wait.'"

Having flown down there earlier in my life, I would just politely mention, "Yeah, that's ICAO terminology."

I still can't figure out why we went from TCA to Class B, but Nassau's terminal area is called a "TCA" on the chart, though. Oh well.

Wait, What?? is WILCO not a thing anymore?

I was going to ask the same thing. I use it all the time in an effort to not sound like the standard helo pilot that likes to tell everyone their life's story on the radio.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wait, What?? is WILCO not a thing anymore?
Most recent formal reference I have seen is the 2014 Pilot Controller Glossary. WILCO is listed. But I can say, having taught out of a few private pilot handbooks and texts, that it isn't commonly taught at the entry level. In 32 years flying the line I think I only heard a couple other airline guys use it on the radio. My pet peeve is saying ROGER improperly. It is too common for folks to use it in place of AFFIRMATIVE or for some form of agreement. Hate that!

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
Most recent formal reference I have seen is the 2014 Pilot Controller Glossary. WILCO is listed. But I can say, having taught out of a few private pilot handbooks and texts, that it isn't commonly taught at the entry level. In 32 years flying the line I think I only heard a couple other airline guys use it on the radio. My pet peeve is saying ROGER improperly. It is too common for folks to use it in place of AFFIRMATIVE or for some form of agreement. Hate that!
Oh ok so I’ll just say Roger WILCO all the time instead. It’s my favorite.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also something I am glad not to have to hear hardly at all any more, "Naw, got em on the fish finder though", when issued traffic by ATC. Absolutely worthless reply. ATC doesn't care about what is on the TCAS. They need you to see the traffic. Either you do or you don't.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
Also something I am glad not to have to hear hardly at all any more, "Naw, got em on the fish finder though", when issued traffic by ATC. Absolutely worthless reply. ATC doesn't care about what is on the TCAS. They need you to see the traffic. Either you do or you don't.
But "with the flash" when told to IDENT is still acceptable, right? ;)

Honest questions though:

Are you required to respond to "radar contact 3 mi north of Podunk airport" with a "position checks" or something similar? I've gotten told that you don't need to and I've also gotten told you need to "roger up" to it.

Do you actually have to read back "IDENT?" Same thing as above. I've been told yes and I've been told no.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
But "with the flash" when told to IDENT is still acceptable, right? ;)

Honest questions though:

Are you required to respond to "radar contact 3 mi north of Podunk airport" with a "position checks" or something similar? I've gotten told that you don't need to and I've also gotten told you need to "roger up" to it.

Do you actually have to read back "IDENT?" Same thing as above. I've been told yes and I've been told no.
There is no such word as "IDENTing" ?

Stop the "with you" on check in. Stop saying the name of the departure, approach, center, tower, or ground. They know who they are!

"Approach, Caravan 3215 Yankee, Six Thousand."

Last edited:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only response required of a request to ident is push the button. When they see it on the scope they will know you got the request. I have never replied to "radar contact". Why? They are simply giving you information. What bad thing could possibly happen by not responding to radar contact?