• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Big Wing to T-45 IP?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does the FBO in Pueblo, CO still have a mil gas contract, and all the lines peeps were women that wore hot pants? Stopped there a few times crossing the country.
Never stopped there…Grand Junction, CO was a favorite stop.

PMPT

Had one P-3 and a C-130 IP doing T-45, but keep in mind if this is something you are interested in ... as a big wing guy, you are for the most part going to get stuck with the introductory level flying. If I recall they were making the big wing guys also get form qual'd as I was walking out the door. We had one C-2 bro who really really badly wanted to make the transition to hornets so he was able to get qual'd in most of the advanced syllabus stuff too and did eventually end up getting his rhino transition.

just be aware you may spend a lot of time in the GCA box/doing instrument flights

PMPT

if the T45 has anything other than VOR/TACAN and ILS/LOC, that would be news to me. As of 2021 it had no RNAV capability, although you could (not legally) navigate to hand-jammed GPS waypoints. It was difficult to well which of the VOR/TACAN or GPS was less reliable than the other.

taxi1

pilot
From last century, in Buckeye land…

There was VT4, a squadron dedicated to training E2 pilots in the buckeye. It was located in Pcola, so it was Uber desirable, and it was full of pointy nosed jet instructors. The few E2 guys in the squadron were treated as second rate citizens, having to beg to get permission to lead a 4-plane.

I was in beautiful Beeville, where the requirement to be an instructor was a tolerance of fire ants. I led CQ, led OCF, taught guns, and the rest. We’d get on the platform of the Lex during CNATRA CQ, and I’d give an endless ration of shit to the VT4 paddles about why they treated their E2 instructors like shit in front of their E2 students. It was load of BS.

We had some big wing guys instructing too, they were fine. Also some helo guys. The best was a marine cobra pilot, the worst was a 60 guy who couldn’t believe you didn’t have to move the controls continuously every second of the flight. Hey, this thing will smooth out if you eject!

We took them all to the boat, which was a lot of fun. Det to key west, only job for them was to fly, plenty of shit talking and beer bets.

PMPT

Good old Chase field. flew many a PEL there in the T6. Now houses a very large prison.

Kind of a shame they didnt keep beeville and can kingsville. Beeville was a mere hour away from San Antonio. And no nasty arachnids like Kingsville.

taxi1

pilot
Beeville at least had some terrain and wasn’t dead on gawdawful flat as a pancake. Fun little town. Short drive to Randolph AFB for Friday night O club adventures. Good times.

HuggyU2

None
Beeville... probably my first exposure to Naval Aviation.

Growing up in the 1968-1972 time frame, we would drive from Houston to Laredo to see my grandparents, and the path took us through Beeville back then.

My dad would always stop at the Beeville county courthouse for a few minutes so that I could get out of the car and go look at the A-4 that they had on static display. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Also, just found out we have a U-2 pilot in the squadron from George West.

Apologies for the trip down Memory Lane.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I dropped a helo off in Beeville in 2008. It looked like most of the base was still frozen in time, with most of the hangars still displaying the squadron logos. There were some new contractor buildings but the tarmac was in surprisingly good shape for being neglected for so long.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I dropped a helo off in Beeville in 2008. It looked like most of the base was still frozen in time, with most of the hangars still displaying the squadron logos. There were some new contractor buildings but the tarmac was in surprisingly good shape for being neglected for so long.
In 2018 the city tore down the big TW3 hangar.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That’s the first time I’ve heard a professional aviator call it “the tarmac.” ?