• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Big Wing to T-45 IP?

Ozarky

pilot
Howdy all,

Couldn’t find a thread reflecting this issue; if I missed it please advise!

Currently a Tacamo guy on JO sea tour, and have heard stories about big wing guys going to instruct in the T-45, but was wondering if anyone had any current gouge on what that process looks like, or things to be aware of?

Thanks in advance!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Can't help you at all, but I remember having a really good IP who was formerly a P-3 dude by trade, and had subsequently (prior to T-45s) done a tour with the UK flying Tornados. Point being, there are all walks of life.

Ozarky

pilot
That’s awesome! The “not-so-golden-path” trajectories have always seemed far more interesting to me. I’ve got a good older buddy who was a P-3 guy and then picked up Meridian orders and ended up teaching in the T-2 and then T-45 for like 15 years both active and reserve. Really piqued my interest!

Also, I see T-45’s stopping in to my hometown airport of KFSM all the time, so it sure wouldn’t hurt to see the folks every now and then!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, I see T-45’s stopping in to my hometown airport of KFSM all the time, so it sure wouldn’t hurt to see the folks every now and then!
My first thought: "Man, Fort Smith! That was a fun airshow cross-country!"

My second thought: "Aaaaaand that was now 16 years ago. Feck. How did I get so old?"

Still remember holding short behind Nine-O-Nine, years before the Collings Foundation fucked it away in epic fashion . . . "BOBCT 73, you're #2 for takeoff behind a B-17."

Ozarky

pilot
My first thought: "Man, Fort Smith! That was a fun airshow cross-country!"

My second thought: "Aaaaaand that was now 16 years ago. Feck. How did I get so old?"

Still remember holding short behind Nine-O-Nine, years before the Collings Foundation fucked it away in epic fashion . . . "BOBCT 73, you're #2 for takeoff behind a B-17."
That’s incredible! I’d bet money 10 year old me was there. Those really were some great air shows. The A-10’s stationed at KFSM with the ANG have since been sent elsewhere and they operate drones now, but a small silver lining is that they’re bringing F-35’s in the relatively near future!

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
they operate drones now, but a small silver lining is that they’re bringing F-35’s in the relatively near future!

Not to completely burst your bubble, but the MQ-9 mission isn't going away from Fort Smith anytime in the future (it's a HUGE days and dollars winner with almost zero cost in upkeep), and the F-35 unit will be an FMS FTU that really isn't going to look like a normal Guard unit. The F-16 unit is going to be a Singaporean one.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Out of conversational order…but is Doe’s Eat Place still there in Fort Smith? Love their steaks!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FSM was always a favorite stop over for gas and inexpensive BBQ in my T-39 instructor days at VT-86. The FBO would toss you the keys to the van, hand you a $5 lunch coupon, and off we went. We’d always come back with a belly full of BBQ for our return trip home.

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Over a decade ago I inquired with my xo whether it it was possible for me. His first question was if I had jet grades in primary. I fought through the urge to tell him I wouldn't be flying a useless window licking POS like him around if I had and kept it to a simple no. He said they wouldn't take me then. To be fair he didn't really like me and the feeling was obviously mutual so he certainly wouldn't have gone to bat for me. Long ago and probably not relevant but F that guy anyway.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
Not super up to date with the status of the VTJs, but when I was there circa 2019 there was one P-8 guy who came right after his first sea tour, and also a post-DH P-3 dude so it definitely was possible.

Ozarky

pilot
Not to completely burst your bubble, but the MQ-9 mission isn't going away from Fort Smith anytime in the future (it's a HUGE days and dollars winner with almost zero cost in upkeep), and the F-35 unit will be an FMS FTU that really isn't going to look like a normal Guard unit. The F-16 unit is going to be a Singaporean one.
My apologies if it came off as disparaging the drone community. I’ve got lots of respect for the drone guys and I’m glad to have a military presence in Fort Smith at all. I just meant it’ll be nice to have that daily presence of military aircraft again!

taxi1

pilot
FSM was always a favorite stop over for gas and inexpensive BBQ in my T-39 instructor days at VT-86. The FBO would toss you the keys to the van, hand you a $5 lunch coupon, and off we went. We’d always come back with a belly full of BBQ for our return trip home.
Does the FBO in Pueblo, CO still have a mil gas contract, and all the lines peeps were women that wore hot pants? Stopped there a few times crossing the country.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
My apologies if it came off as disparaging the drone community. I’ve got lots of respect for the drone guys and I’m glad to have a military presence in Fort Smith at all. I just meant it’ll be nice to have that daily presence of military aircraft again!
Sure thing ?! There is a lot of misinformation and speculation going on about the future of the Fort Smith unit. You're a new guy, and I really didn't want to see someone potentially make some long range career plans based on info that isn't quite accurate. Though the FS unit is a really good one right now with a really really good supported unit.

As an FYI, professional aviators call them either an RPA or UAV when talking about the airplane, and UAS when talking about the other stuff as a whole. Drones are the toys that you buy from Amazon, or what the news media calls anything that shoots a hellfire missile.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
Over a decade ago I inquired with my xo whether it it was possible for me. His first question was if I had jet grades in primary. I fought through the urge to tell him I wouldn't be flying a useless window licking POS like him around if I had and kept it to a simple no. He said they wouldn't take me then. To be fair he didn't really like me and the feeling was obviously mutual so he certainly wouldn't have gone to bat for me. Long ago and probably not relevant but F that guy anyway.

If he really wanted to be snarky with you in the long con, he would have approved it and had you sent to VT-86.