• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Big Wing to T-45 IP?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My pet peeve is saying ROGER improperly. It is too common for folks to use it in place of AFFIRMATIVE or for some form of agreement. Hate that!
The worst is civilian pilots getting a traffic call and saying "tally" or worse "tally-ho." No, dumbass, you're "visual." You're only "tally" on something you're about to fucking kill.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Do you actually have to read back "IDENT?" Same thing as above. I've been told yes and I've been told no.

The age old hangar/internet debate. I believe the AIM says to acknowledge the request. As was said, pushing the button indicates an acknowledgement. Saying, "IDENT'ing" is also an acknowledgement, but usually unnecessary.

For work, I have an IDENT button on my cyclic, which is nice and I can push it before ATC finishes the radio call. That assumes I can remember where it is, as it's in the same place as the AUTO-DEPART in the -60 and my brain still takes a second to calibrate.

Stop saying the name of the departure, approach, center, tower, or ground. They know who they are!

I'm going to argue this one. It's not uncommon for someone to come up on Center, Approach, or even a tower freq and not be in the right place. ATC might know who they are, but the person in the plane might not be in the right place. See also: some of the septuagenarians and octogenarians that fly around north Florida.

Plus, it's not like ATC hasn't given wrong freqs before.

I will say if I'm not flying "local," I'll just say "Center" a lot of times because I don't always catch who I'm being kicked over to next.

The worst is civilian pilots getting a traffic call and saying "tally" or worse "tally-ho." No, dumbass, you're "visual." You're only "tally" on something you're about to fucking kill.

Technically it's "in sight" per the FAA. But I've noticed controllers who work fleet concentration areas are far more tolerant of "Visual," though.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Tally-ho and Visual are military terms. Technically, it’s traffic in sight. Tally is what I use and I do it for 2 reasons. 1. Technically they are a bad guy. I don’t want to hit them and I don’t want them to hit me. 2. To annoy you fuckers! It drives civilians and fighter folks crazy..

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I was going to ask the same thing. I use it all the time in an effort to not sound like the standard helo pilot that likes to tell everyone their life's story on the radio.
Ever flown in Quebec? I’ve had to wait as much as 10 minutes just to check in with center as two guys pass the time of day in French. Then called them three times in English before they replied. Then had to read back ATC’s re-route three times until the controller was sure I understood. Which was probably needed- I didn’t get it right the first time.

It’s an exercise in patience up there. Luckily, it’s a big country, so it takes a while to get anywhere.

flgator92

None
The radio call the Navy taught me that in my own private flying I would never use is "Takeoff," or in a section "Takeoff 2." When I fly on my own as a VFR pilot, I say "[Callsign], holding short of [RWY #], ready for departure." My view is that the word "takeoff" should only be used when clearing somebody for takeoff, acknowledging your takeoff clearance, or cancelling/acknowledging a cancelled takeoff clearance -- not to make the request to depart. It grinds my gears Every. Single. Time.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The radio call the Navy taught me that in my own private flying I would never use is "Takeoff," or in a section "Takeoff 2." When I fly on my own as a VFR pilot, I say "[Callsign], holding short of [RWY #], ready for departure." My view is that the word "takeoff" should only be used when clearing somebody for takeoff, acknowledging your takeoff clearance, or cancelling/acknowledging a cancelled takeoff clearance -- not to make the request to depart. It grinds my gears Every. Single. Time.
You make a good argument. I am based at an uncontrolled field. My radio call in the blind is "...departing runway 5." Never really thought about it though. Just thought "...taking off runway 5" was a mouthful. On those rare occasions I am at a controlled field, I will consider your logic.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
The ICAO rules are how you wrote it. Takeoff is only ever used with issuing a clearance or acknowledgment of said clearance.

Some foreign countries pilots’ command of English is lacking so making sure takeoff is only part of a clearance is vital.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The age old hangar/internet debate. I believe the AIM says to acknowledge the request. As was said, pushing the button indicates an acknowledgement. Saying, "IDENT'ing" is also an acknowledgement, but usually unnecessary.

For work, I have an IDENT button on my cyclic, which is nice and I can push it before ATC finishes the radio call. That assumes I can remember where it is, as it's in the same place as the AUTO-DEPART in the -60 and my brain still takes a second to calibrate.

I'm going to argue this one. It's not uncommon for someone to come up on Center, Approach, or even a tower freq and not be in the right place. ATC might know who they are, but the person in the plane might not be in the right place. See also: some of the septuagenarians and octogenarians that fly around north Florida.

Plus, it's not like ATC hasn't given wrong freqs before.

I will say if I'm not flying "local," I'll just say "Center" a lot of times because I don't always catch who I'm being kicked over to next.

Technically it's "in sight" per the FAA. But I've noticed controllers who work fleet concentration areas are far more tolerant of "Visual," though.
Interesting side note, inside the DC FRZ general aviation pilots are required to verbally acknowledge every communication. So, if Potomac asks me to IDENT I not only mash the button but respond “25D ident.” I’m also required to read back standard commands like “remain clear of Class Bravo airspace.”

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You make a good argument. I am based at an uncontrolled field. My radio call in the blind is "...departing runway 5." Never really thought about it though. Just thought "...taking off runway 5" was a mouthful. On those rare occasions I am at a controlled field, I will consider your logic.

There's some other hangar/internet argument about "Taking runway 05 for departure to the south," which is how I learned many years ago. The argument is that a) the AIM doesn't say "taking" and b) "Where are you taking it????"

Issue b) seems like a silly come back, but I did start to not say it because of reason a). The problem I found was exactly what you mention...it's a mouthful. I'm not sure I have a set way of saying it, but I think more times than not, your way is probably what I say as well.

Ever flown in Quebec? I’ve had to wait as much as 10 minutes just to check in with center as two guys pass the time of day in French.

I've never flown in Canada, but I'm guessing it's usually pretty polite...until you involve the Quebecois.

Nassau usually took several attempts to get them to answer, but I'm guessing that's because our call sign wasn't something they normally heard. Then you'd get the stern but proper patois instructions to continue, which was welcome because gas was usually very tight coming back.

One day I flew into Panama and was told, "You're not supposed to be coming today!" After telling them we filed the paperwork for today and would be making multiple trips, they finally tracked down a better English speaker who was a little more friendly.