• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BGO Interview

CaseyL90

I think the interview went very well.

He was an O-6 in the Navy, graduate from the USNA. He liked dogs. A lot. My dog gets very excited when new people come to the house, and she darted out of the kitchen and pretty much jumped on top of him. Good thing he loved dogs...a lot.

He would sometimes break up the interview and just talk about dogs randomly, which was kind of funny. Talking about his Labrador Retriever, and some other giant dog who weighed 200lbs or something.

Anyways, he showed the video about the USNA, then talked about the application process, and life at the USNA. He talked about the summer activities he did, and what you are able to do. He talked about AP classes, admissions, etc...all that kind of stuff, with my parents and I.

Then he took me to the other room and started writing notes. He saw my dog, and started talking about dogs again. He asked me stuff like what do I plan on majoring, what is my first choice of Naval career.

He talked about the rolling admissions thing the USNA does, and how High School students, College students, and prior enlisted compete in their own pool. I did not know college and high school students compete in their own pool. That was something I was glad to hear :)

He talked about NAPS, foundation, and the Free Agent thing with the prep schools.

As for what I wore...I just wore my USMC sweatshirt and jean shorts. I thought it was going to be casual, I thought he wouldn't care, and I was right. It was a very casual interview.

Definitely not getting into the USNA this year, but I think that's kind of fair since I was kind of wishy washy on the whole thing during High School, and was not sure throughout High School if I wanted to become a Naval officer. I didn't really know what I wanted to do during High School, and I didn't really care which was the worst part.

Other people who attend USNA directly out of high school wanted to be there before High School started for them. They've wanted it longer than me.

I'll be starting college this year, and I'm looking forward to a fresh start. Looking to get a 4.0 GPA in college. I think I'll be talking Chemistry, Physics, Calculus, and Engineering classes. Now I know what to do, so no more fucking around.

I think I'll go to a community college instead of a state school. Here in California the UC system gives priority to community college students instead of state school/other UC transfers. I'm not sure though. Maybe I'll go to a state school, maybe not.

Here is a link to the classes I'm looking at taking at community college (If I go):
http://lpc1.clpccd.cc.ca.us/lpc/eng/

I talked to the OSO again yesterday, and he said you need to be a full time college student with at least 12 semester units of classes. Those classes above definitely do go above and beyond the minimum requirements. He also said there is no obligation at all during PLC program, so if I were ever to reapply to USNA and get accepted into either USNA or NAPS I could go.

But I'm still 17. Not even legal to sign up for anything. I still have time :)

phrogpilot73

IHe was an O-6 in the Navy, graduate from the USNA.

As for what I wore...I just wore my USMC sweatshirt and jean shorts. I thought it was going to be casual, I thought he wouldn't care, and I was right. It was a very casual interview.
I guarantee that while he might not have mentioned it, or even consciously noted it, he subconsciously noticed how you were dressed. Casual in the military is exactly what everyone else said. I would have gone with khaki pants and a collared shirt.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the interview went very well.
Thanks for the report. You seem to have the right attitude about the whole thing. Good luck.

Sounds pretty much the way I run things. I always make a point of asking two or three scenario driven questions that force the candidate to make a tough decision and support it. Mostly it is so I can see them sweat just a bit, but also to reinforce the true nature of the work they will be doing on graduation. I don't take much note of their actual answers. They are high school students after all. But every once in a while I get someone that can handle everything I throw at them. That is fun. Makes me think there is hope for that generation. ;)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As for what I wore...I just wore my USMC sweatshirt and jean shorts. I thought it was going to be casual, I thought he wouldn't care, and I was right. It was a very casual interview....

So you ask our advice. We tell you dress sharp.

And you just blow us off and wear shorts and a sweatshirt? Why should we give you advice again?

I guarantee, he did notice.

Junior

pilot
He was an O-6 in the Navy, graduate from the USNA. He liked dogs. A lot. My dog gets very excited when new people come to the house, and she darted out of the kitchen and pretty much jumped on top of him. Good thing he loved dogs...a lot.
You couldn't lock your dog up either? What if he didn't like dogs? Echo the dressing comments.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Casey, bro I hear where you're coming from, but think about the people who you just asked for advice. They are definitely people who have "been there and done that," and I imagine people whom you're aspiring to be. Next time, take their advice and use it, bud. The fact is, causual is not "shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt." While he may not have said anything, he may have if you had dressed up; my BGO specifically told me he appreciated the fact I wore a collared shirt and khakis because he sees a lot of people unshaven, long hair, shorts and t-shirts, and he just doesn't take them seriously. Like I said, next time you ask for advice from people who know what they're talking about, use it.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'll second what Danmav said, there's a very good chance you'll run into some of the people on this forum at the academy or out in the fleet. In fact, I know of at least one who commented on this who actually teaches here. Next time, just listen up. Trust me, it'll help you once you get here. That all being said, best of luck bud!

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Casey, bro I hear where you're coming from, but think about the people who you just asked for advice. They are definitely people who have "been there and done that," and I imagine people whom you're aspiring to be. Next time, take their advice and use it, bud. The fact is, causual is not "shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt." While he may not have said anything, he may have if you had dressed up; my BGO specifically told me he appreciated the fact I wore a collared shirt and khakis because he sees a lot of people unshaven, long hair, shorts and t-shirts, and he just doesn't take them seriously. Like I said, next time you ask for advice from people who know what they're talking about, use it.

He speaks the truth. :)

MasterBates

I as the leader of the AW union of Casey's hereby move that the originator of this thread be banished by spelling his name in a feminine manner.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
If you notice, I replied as fast as I could so that you would get an answer in time for your interview. Thanks for blowing me off. Also, thanks for mentioning how much smarter you are than the rest of us:

CaseyL90 said:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
... I thought he wouldn't care, and I was right.

You simply don't know that. He will write what he wants in the interview appraisal. And since you can't be sure, and it wouldn't be possible to ask his opinion of your attire and then go change if he disapproved, best to be safer then sorry. You will get another shot. Be smart about it.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't ding him too hard on his attire; as far as Marine civvies standards go, he practically dressed up....

That's not the point. He specifically asked us what he should wear, and then blew it off because he knew better.