• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BGO Interview

CaseyL90

My BGO has recently emailed me requesting an interview with me and my parents.

This makes me excited, but also very nervous.

He wants my HS transcript. Though it's no mystery to anyone, I have 3 D's on it. :(

I am currently retaking 2 online, I may retake the third in school, but it is German 3, and admissions people from the academy told me they don't really care about that.

Other two was English and Honors Pre-Calculus :(

I have only gotten D's in one semester, and have passed all my classes in the other. Main reason for the D's in only one semester (junior year, 2nd sem) was that my sister tried to commit suicide. Should this be brought up?

I definitely fall in the <1% of people who get directly appointed into the USNA.

I am definitely going to bring up NAPS up to him.

What questions will he ask me? The standard "Why do you want to be an officer? Why do you want to be in the military? and Why the USNA?"

Anything in detail? What is the DVD on?

Edit: I will ask another question, different from the one above, but I just don't want to make another thread and fill up so much space :)

There is about ~12,500 applicants each year to the USNA
~4,500 get nominations
~2,000 are Tripled Q'd
~1,500 offered appointment
~300 decline appointment(wtf, why!?! why would someone do that!)

well since ~2,000 are Triple Q'd, but only ~1,500 offered admission, what happens to the other 500? Are most of them sent to NAPS or the foundation? Very little are sent to NAPS? They just have to apply again? (I assume this is the most correct answer?)

Which makes me think, couldn't 300 of the 500 get appointments, if the 300 that declined...didn't waste the USNA's time and didn't decline?!

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
There's a book out there about applying to the Naval Academy that helped me alot. Not so much with the BGO (mine was a sweet little old lady) but with the congresional interview. It's late, and I'm drunk so I'll call and ask my mom tomorrow. That said, my BGO asked me about my work out routine, standard why do you wanna do it and shit like that. My grades were tits so they'll probably ask about yours more then mine did mine, so just be honest and hope for the best. If you don't make it this year you've got next, and the one after that. If you want it bad enough than you have a great shot at it.

usnarnnr

pilot
Some decline appointment because they were also applying to other service academies, and were accepted there. Also, there's some people who go through all the application process for the wrong reasons, such as appeasing parents, and back out at the last minute, some who don't even show up on I-day. As far as the interview, it's gonna be all the types of questions you would expect, like you said, and also questions about yourself, just to help the BGO get to know what kind of person you really are and get more of the personal side of you. Don't try to BS them, just answer it truthfully and act professional and you'll be fine.

navy09

None
I definitely fall in the <1% of people who get directly appointed into the USNA.

I am definitely going to bring up NAPS up to him.

What questions will he ask me? The standard "Why do you want to be an officer? Why do you want to be in the military? and Why the USNA?"

He will probably bring up NAPS. Just so you know, it is almost exclusively for recruited athletes and minority students. But make sure he knows you are willing to do whatever you need to do to get in.

Ya, the questions are pretty standard. Make sure you know pretty much what you're going to say so it sounds like you've put thought into it. Hint: Your #1 reason for wanting to go to USNA should be to get a commission :D

well since ~2,000 are Triple Q'd, but only ~1,500 offered admission, what happens to the other 500? Are most of them sent to NAPS or the foundation? Very little are sent to NAPS? They just have to apply again? (I assume this is the most correct answer?)

Which makes me think, couldn't 300 of the 500 get appointments, if the 300 that declined...didn't waste the USNA's time and didn't decline?!

I was Triple Q'd, got a nomination, and didn't get admitted- it happens. My GPA was 3.3 which is way below their average and my SAT was 1350 (out of 1600) which was only slightly above their average. All in all my academics just didn't make that final cut.

As far as the few hundred that get in and don't go, several reasons have already been listed (parents make them apply, they apply for the free degree and they get a gut check at the last minute, etc). All colleges have admitted students decline to go there and USNAs rate is actually very low.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My mom was a BGO for several years (not sure if she's the 'sweet little old lady' llnick referred to...). There's lots of gouge out there (including on AW) about Academy admissions, but regarding the BGO interview specifically: it's not really a make-or-break thing, like an admissions interview at a "real college". The BGO is primarily there to answer your questions during the admissions process, help you interpret the Navyese if you've never been exposed to it, and so on. One candidate she had got a rejection letter and thought it was an acceptance letter - it's just how the Navy writes things. Anyway, the interview is mostly a chance for the Academy to put a face with the paperwork. Lots of hyper overachieving types apply for the Academies (along with a bunch of other schools), and they've become Jedi masters at gaming admissions departments and figuring out how to say what they want to hear. The BGO can talk to the candidates and find out if they really know what they're getting in to. "I want to go to the Academy so I can get my MBA." "I want to go to the Academy and major in Feminist Drama Theory." "Dad's always wanted me to go to Navy." "Sure, why not the Academy? It's just like JROTC, right?"

CaseyL90

What to wear, BGO interview?

I have BGO coming over to my house in half an hour.

I was told by many people that it is suppose to be casual.

I think wearing a suit is kind of out of line, because it's at my house.

But should I just wear my USMC sweatshirt and shorts

or a polo shirt and shorts?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I have BGO coming over to my house in half an hour.

I was told by many people that it is suppose to be casual.

I think wearing a suit is kind of out of line, because it's at my house.

But should I just wear my USMC sweatshirt and shorts

or a polo shirt and shorts?
polo shirt and khaki/docker type pants should be fine

UMichfly

pilot
None
Personally I'd go with a purple velvet suit and a hat with a feather in it but who's to comment on taste?

In all seriousness, it would be a good idea for you to get used to the idea of "casual" being a collared shirt and khaki's whenever you're talking about doing something related to your career. Just don't be the toolbag who thinks that doing Jager bombs at Seville constitutes "career development" and thus warrants wearing khakis and a polo shirt.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How did it go? I'd be interested to hear about it since I have never witnessed anyone else conduct a BGO interview, only done them myself.

Hope you went with the nice collared shirt and decent pants. I have had guys wearing T-shirts and shorts before. Trust me. It doesn't look good. The point made above is worth all you young'uns noting. Casual, in the grown up work a day world IS NOT shorts, jeans, T-shirts, running shoes or flip flops. We are talking collared shirts, nice pants, Dockers or better, and real shoes. Oh, and don't forget the belt and comb your damn hair!!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry I missed the page. Looks like everyone covered for me well enough. How did the interview go (asked in the other posting as well) ?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How did it go? I'd be interested to hear about it since I have never witnessed anyone else conduct a BGO interview, only done them myself.

Hope you went with the nice collared shirt and decent pants. I have had guys wearing T-shirts and shorts before. Trust me. It doesn't look good. The point made above is worth all you young'uns noting. Casual, in the grown up work a day world IS NOT shorts, jeans, T-shirts, running shoes or flip flops. We are talking collared shirts, nice pants, Dockers or better, and real shoes. Oh, and don't forget the belt and comb your damn hair!!

Wearing shorts is definitely not appropriate unless odd situation that you are interviewing for a job where you will wear shorts and interviewer is wearing shorts (beach boy at resort, male pole dancer, life guard, cabin boy on yacht)