• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

BFM...Clubs?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
If you like SWO life you could do this for less money!

What are these, battleships for ants? They need to be at least three times bigger!

y59uf.jpg

I don't know what the context is here but I like it.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
What are these, battleships for ants? They need to be at least three times bigger!

y59uf.jpg

I don't know what the context is here but I like it.
Too slow for the SWO? Try this...

No, this is not generally done.

WWII fighters are pretty special and no one abuses them in BFM. They do flyovers and light aerobatics. A Yak-3 will run you at least a half million dollars... and no potential owner is going to waste their time, energy and money "doing BFM" with a guy in a $2M-$3M P-51, a $4M Corsair, or a priceless P-38, of which there are only 7 left flying in the world.

And although there are a few former "veteran fighter pilots" that can afford to buy a multi-million dollar BFM toy... there are very few.

Can you point us toward the stories you've read about this happening?

I don't know if the rules allow it either, but you can start a separate thread and see if the mods shut it down. As someone who is a Christian and served as a military pilot for most of my adult life, I never compromised my moral beliefs to make it happen.

I found the story I read: https://sofrep.com/news/from-navy-seal-to-warbird-pilot-flying-across-america-in-the-epsilon/

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Good story, Webb seems like a fun dude, but the Epsilon (and I’ve flown one) isn’t a warbird in the traditional sense just as the T-34 isn’t. Fun story though, I’ve been “bounced” a few times by local RV guys looking to goof around. They are faster and more maneuverable, but I can bleed speed and turn tighter. Mostly, they get bored with me and head off looking for another RV!

HuggyU2

None
This group is called Red Star. https://flyredstar.org/

Lots of Yaks and some other aircraft too. They do some pretty big "air wars" on the West Coast. I've done a minimal amount of work with them, but a couple of the other U-2 guys have flown a lot more with them.

Some of these pilots also fly airshows. Good guys and gals.

According to the folks I know that have gone, their Large Force Exercises (LFE) are extremely well organized, with a lot of excellent safety-specifics. A number of the leads/instructors are have military fighter experience and work hard to educate the others. I'm told they take their flying very seriously. If you want to go out and free-for-all in the MOA, no need to apply here.

I'd like to go to their events... just need to find the time.

GroundPounder

This group is called Red Star. https://flyredstar.org/

Lots of Yaks and some other aircraft too. They do some pretty big "air wars" on the West Coast. I've done a minimal amount of work with them, but a couple of the other U-2 guys have flown a lot more with them.

Some of these pilots also fly airshows. Good guys and gals.

According to the folks I know that have gone, their Large Force Exercises (LFE) are extremely well organized, with a lot of excellent safety-specifics. A number of the leads/instructors are have military fighter experience and work hard to educate the others. I'm told they take their flying very seriously. If you want to go out and free-for-all in the MOA, no need to apply here.

I'd like to go to their events... just need to find the time.

I've been to their " Swamp Thunder " meetings a few times, several years ago, it was a great experience. Flew with an old fraternity brother of my dad's who was a retired USAF F4 pilot. Everyone involved was professional, and there was an obvious emphasis on planning. They just don't wing it, so to speak.

PMPT

Interesting. Pretty confident I saw these guys in Lake Havasu recently. Their see and avoid left a little bit to be desired, but pretty cool otherwise.