• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was motivated to read Black Cat 2-1 because I helped restore a Huey Gunship that served in the Black Cats (actually the guns were Alley Cats, but same unit). Author was a commissioned officer so there is a retelling about his fleet up to company commander, dealing with infantry seniors, and the relationship with the warrants. Also a real good recounting of the base nearly being over run with enemy inside the wire. This is where I first learned slick ACs flew in the left seat of Hueys because it had a better view out the chin bubble.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Already posted this on Random Griz Aviation Musings but it really belongs here...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Looks like they are making a movie on Hudner and Brown, Devotion based on a book by the same name.
Little update on this, local news interest story that the aviation news wire service picked up. They built a movie set of an aircraft carrier, which I think is pretty great these days when a lot of these kinds of movies use CGI:

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It would be nice to leave it up. If positioned properly you could even "taxi" on the flight deck while on the way to the runway. Alas, it is sure to be torn down and trashed, not even to be erected anywhere else, like a park dedicated to veterans.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
It would be nice to leave it up. If positioned properly you could even "taxi" on the flight deck while on the way to the runway. Alas, it sure to be torn down and trashed, not even to be erected anywhere else, like a park dedicated to veterans.
That would be a fun photo op in your private airplane!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
That would be a fun photo op in your private airplane!
It would generate a lot of drop in transient traffic. More fuel sales, and $100 burgers sold. Maybe an airport restaurant or FBO will buy it.

Pags

N/A
pilot
It would be nice to leave it up. If positioned properly you could even "taxi" on the flight deck while on the way to the runway. Alas, it is sure to be torn down and trashed, not even to be erected anywhere else, like a park dedicated to veterans.
It's probably not that permanent of a structure.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
It's probably not that permanent of a structure.
True enough, like all Hollywood props, it is only one wall thick. If you look closely at the image of the guys lined up above the flight deck (all wearing flight jackets) you can see trees and trusses through the hatch! I guess you would need to get down there fast when filming is done to get your picture!

Pags

N/A
pilot
True enough, like all Hollywood props, it is only one wall thick. If you look closely at the image of the guys lined up above the flight deck (all wearing flight jackets) you can see trees and trusses through the hatch! I guess you would need to get down there fast when filming is done to get your picture!
Yeah, and its probably made up of whatever cheapest materials they could get away with.

I also assume that there will be post production weathering done since the island doesnt look like the island of a carrier that has been on station.