• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
The Right Stuff starts streaming tomorrow on Disney+. I just saw a Facebook ad for it but haven’t seen much about it otherwise.

8 episodes, based on the book and the movie. Leonardo DiCaprio is one of the EPs.

Looking forward to “surprising” my wife with it since we just finished Indian Matchmaking and Emily in Paris. In other words, it’s my turn.
Watching the first episode...so far seems like a cheap knockoff of the original movie diving into how flawed the characters were of the original seven...
Will give it a couple episodes, but not impressed.

SlickAg

pilot
Watching the first episode...so far seems like a cheap knockoff of the original movie diving into how flawed the characters were of the original seven...
Haven’t watched it yet, but that review combined with what I read on IMDB is sort of harshing my mellow.

Good thing 2020 has tempered my expectations about pretty much everything so at least I won’t be too disappointed.

HeartofTexas

Contributor
Tora Tora Tora is really well done. It's an older film about the attack on Pearl Harbor but it really delves into the build up before the attack from both the American and Japanese perspectives (really an example of the "swiss holes lining up" metaphor). The attack scene was cinematically incredible considering they didn't have CGI back then. Plus, no cringey love triangle, or Ben Affleck being....Ben Affleck, so easily one of my favorite military movies and probably the best one done about Pearl Harbor.

Renegade One

None
Tora Tora Tora is really well done. It's an older film... cinematically incredible considering they didn't have CGI back then. Plus, no cringey love triangle, or Ben Affleck being....Ben Affleck, so easily one of my favorite military movies and probably the best one done about Pearl Harbor.
I feel the same way about "The Battle of Britain", even though there IS some camera trickery for the "masses of German bombers" scenes.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

I'm three episodes in. This show sucks. Won't be watching anymore episodes.

It's a tired rerun of every cliche of the early days of the space program, or just 50s/60s culture in general. There's none of the cool flying/space/science stuff from the book or the movie, Yeager is completely absent, and its drama is all camped up nonsense. Think Mad Men, but exponentially less entertaining with worse writing. At least all the historical characters are too old or too dead to defend themselves.

0/10. F.

Last edited:

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not naval aviation, but check out Apache Warrior on Netflix. A few years old but it seems to be trending now. Gun camera footage and interviews with the Apache guys (and girl) at Karbala during OIF I. Refreshingly clear-eyed and no-punches-pulled look into a strike going to complete shit in near real time.

Last edited:

hscs

pilot
Not naval aviation, but check out Apache Warrior on Netflix. A few years old but it seems to be trending now. Gun camera footage and interviews with the Apache guys (and girl) at Karbala during OEF I. Refreshingly clear-eyed and no-punches-pulled look into a strike going to complete shit in near real time.

Ironically, a week or so prior there was an article that quoted a WO who flew in Vietnam and was still on active duty. BL - said Fulda Gap style helo tactics would end really bad for us. Karbala gave us exhibit A.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Not naval aviation, but check out Apache Warrior on Netflix. A few years old but it seems to be trending now. Gun camera footage and interviews with the Apache guys (and girl) at Karbala during OIF I. Refreshingly clear-eyed and no-punches-pulled look into a strike going to complete shit in near real time.

Thanks for the suggestion, I enjoyed watching it (with the exception of the overly dramatic, Stetson-wearing, cav hooah retiree). Pretty amazing story. I went right through that area during the ground assault wedged between the 101st and the 3d.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Ironically, a week or so prior there was an article that quoted a WO who flew in Vietnam and was still on active duty. BL - said Fulda Gap style helo tactics would end really bad for us. Karbala gave us exhibit A.
Do you a link to the article, or a name? I would like to read it.

hscs

pilot
I’ll have to see if I can find it. Remember reading it just before the start. It might have even been in a real newspaper.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor

To be fair, Fulda Gap was never about anything but slowing the Soviet advance, at the cost of all of our A-10s and Apaches.