• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, and its probably made up of whatever cheapest materials they could get away with.

I also assume that there will be post production weathering done since the island doesnt look like the island of a carrier that has been on station.
Of course it is not permanent or even very sturdy. Movie magic right? So what. The magic works for the dude flying in for breakfast. Makes a great photo op. Ever been to a set of an old west movie town? People pay to walk through them and take pictures of the kids in front of the jail and see where John Wayne and Dale Robertson made hits.

Max the Mad Russian

Hands off Ukraine! Feet too
Just seen "Who killed LT Van Dorn?". CIS powers made all possible to guard the Russian-speaking people from seeing it. Definitely not the best Naval Aviation movie, and generally I could understand the Big Navy rejecting the participation and even comments, but... such documentaries are the cornerstones in watershed between democracy and authoritarism as such. If someone did create such a documentary here, s/he would have gotten in jail for "violation of national security". That is why our widowmakers (from Fishbed to Backfire) are still on the shields and bigboards. "What? That they are w-i-d-o-w-m-a-k-e-r-s, and so what? You're military, you have to die young for glory. So man your plane and die, it matters not how, and we provide that glory"

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Caught a little bit of 1931’s “Hell Divers” on TCM starring Clark Gable. Was particularly interested in the part where Curtiss F8C-4 dive bombers were featured at about the 30-45 minute mark of the movie trapping aboard the USS Saratoga CV-3.

SlickAg

pilot
Caught a little bit of 1931’s “Hell Divers” on TCM starring Clark Gable. Was particularly interested in the part where Curtiss F8C-4 dive bombers were featured at about the 30-45 minute mark of the movie trapping aboard the USS Saratoga CV-3.

View attachment 32580
Flight Command and Dive Bomber get cycled through the TCM rotation as well. Some fantastic scenes in there. Definitely worth the YTTV or DVR recording.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
About two nights ago I was engaged in a losing battle with some locally sourced Mexican food so I was up late…middle of the night late. Anyway, I was fishing around for something to watch and found a “helicopter classic” titled Battle Taxi. The action takes place is South K(alifornia)orea with some Koreans War footage spliced in. The storyline involves a disgruntled jet pilot who got seconded to rescue helicopters because he had some rotary training between wars. My favorite line…”Why can’t these pinwheels carry some weapons?”

Lots of comical stuff, some typical 1950’s B-Movie script writing, and some interesting control moves (especially the collective yank to get airborne). Worth wasting an hour or so of a dull evening - can be found on YouTube.

B736546F-7F98-4FAC-B440-F0054BC42A24.jpeg

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Black Sheep Squadron just happened to come on so I thought I would take a look at the Corsairs used in the show - found this:

POOR LITTLE LAMBS – The Corsairs of Baa Baa Blacksheep

A total of eight Corsairs, of varied backgrounds, participated in the filming: four FG-1Ds, two F4U-7s, one F4U-1A, and one F4U-4. Five were combat veterans, two have turned hot laps at Reno, and two later became Oshkosh Grand Champions.

VOUGHT F4U-7 CORSAIR Bu.No. 133693
Bu.133693 during her Aeronavale days on the deck of a French aircraft carrier. (photo via Stephen Chapis)
Bu.133693 (as 693) during her Aeronavale days on the deck of a French aircraft carrier. (photo via Stephen Chapis)

Black Sheep four-ship. (photo by Dan Friedkin)
Black Sheep four-ship. (photo by Dan Friedkin)
In Apple News, they have an excellent article from Plane & Pilot about Pappy Boyington. Unfortunately, I can’t link to it but learned that he was commissioned a 2Lt in the US Army Coast Artillery Reserve. He wanted to fly, but was married and married aviation cadets were not allowing so he used his birth father’s name, Boyington, and was selected.

Being Saturday, Black Sheep Squadron is on this afternoon on MeTV so I might catch an episode, if not, I do have the complete series on DVD. (and it has one of the best TV show intros ever.)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Being Saturday, Black Sheep Squadron is on this afternoon on MeTV so I might catch an episode...

I understand that it's the same casting company, but it always baffled me as to how you can have almost the complete supporting cast of Magnum, P.I. in this show and it not be a Donald Bellisario production (he only directed the very last episode of the series).

You forced me to finally do some Googling and now it makes sense. Stephen J. Cannell hired him to be the story editor for the show.

Random8145

Gents,

Do we have "worst naval movie" rating?

Hollywood seems to intend to bury the USN Silent Service's image. The new "Hunter Killer" is the worst Navy-related movie I've ever seen. Absolute trash. Save your time and money.
Sorry to hear this, I thought it was an enjoyable movie. Of course I have no ability to spot all the inaccuracies. If I was a submariner, maybe I'd say it's terrible. I did not see it as a movie seeking to hurt the image of the U.S. Navy though.

taxi1

pilot
Someone should make a movie about E2 Hawkeyes. It could be a riff on "Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" with the stars being the two pilots who are completely oblivious to the air war going on around them. Set back in the 1990s, before the pilots had more than a couple of radios and some crossword puzzle books to diddle with.