• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Valley of Tears on HBOMax, first two episodes are up. Israeli-made miniseries about the Yom Kippur War. Really well done so far.

Sort of reminds me of Herman Wouk’s novels, following a historic event from different viewpoints of inter-related fictional characters.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
To be fair, Fulda Gap was never about anything but slowing the Soviet advance, at the cost of all of our A-10s and Apaches.
Hiyooooo Davy Crockett !!!!!!!
The Army began deploying the first M28/M29 systems in 1961 to Europe to equip Davy Crockett sections within Seventh Army’s armor and infantry battalions, in particular those defending the Fulda Gap in West Germany, the expected invasion route of Warsaw Pact forces advancing west.

Last edited:

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Valley of Tears on HBOMax, first two episodes are up. Israeli-made miniseries about the Yom Kippur War. Really well done so far.

Sort of reminds me of Herman Wouk’s novels, following a historic event from different viewpoints of inter-related fictional characters.

Just caught the first two last night, and another two came out today. Great stuff so far.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
As both a former young infantry Spec 4 and young infantry 2LT, I can't think of anything more scary that a man portable nuclear weapon in our hands.
I can only imagine hearing someone say, " hey, ya'll watch this " right before the mushroom cloud started rising.
It probably works better as a nuke mine, remotely-detonated. Lay it in the path of oncoming troops and retreat to a proper standoff distance.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
As both a former young infantry Spec 4 and young infantry 2LT, I can't think of anything more scary that a man portable nuclear weapon in our hands.
I can only imagine hearing someone say, " hey, ya'll watch this " right before the mushroom cloud started rising.
For some reason what comes to mind is how everybody knows you're not supposed to take the linked 40mm grenades, the ammo that's meant for the Mk19, and put it in an M203. Yet, I once met a guy who did it anyway. I always figured there was a good chance it would split the tube and kill you, but he got off pretty light- all it did was knock him on his ass (and the grenade went reeeeally far... lol).

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
For some reason what comes to mind is how everybody knows you're not supposed to take the linked 40mm grenades, the ammo that's meant for the Mk19, and put it in an M203. Yet, I once met a guy who did it anyway. I always figured there was a good chance it would split the tube and kill you, but he got off pretty light- all it did was knock him on his ass (and the grenade went reeeeally far).
Better yet I had “that guy” in my company who thought it would be cool to use a pair of channel lock pliers to disassemble a Mk19 round so he could use the brass for a “really cool” coffee cup like they guys who had been to Iraq. He lived but he lost half a hand and a big hunk of leg steak.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Better yet I had “that guy” in my company who thought it would be cool to use a pair of channel lock pliers to disassemble a Mk19 round so he could use the brass for a “really cool” coffee cup like they guys who had been to Iraq. He lived but he lost half a hand and a big hunk of leg steak.
Yikes... he's lucky he's not dead. Everyone know the safest way to decouple cased ammunition is to chamber it, fire the round at a firing range (or a legitimate military target), then collect the spent brass.

Mos

None
It's been mentioned here before and not strictly a naval aviation movie, but I recently watched the classic naval comedy Mister Roberts for the first time in about ten years and heartily recommend it. Here's one of my favorite scenes. The first 30 seconds could redefine the meaning of ensign salute.
It's available for rent or purchase on Amazon prime, though the stream quality is below average.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I've been a fan of Mister Roberts for a some time, but with movies like this, I really appreciate how they can convey leadership lessons without calling them out. I mean seriously, in 2:30, we see how bad the CO is and how "in-tune" the protagonist is with everything onboard. We know who's running that boat/ship. But that one scene makes it apparent.

Bonus points for the diesel generator running in the background. It could be contributed to a production error, but I disagree.