• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
How's Lexington, Va this time of year??? I'm taking a ride up to Antietam, Md this weekend, but am looking forward to riding down through the Shenendoah valley.

It's been cold all week, but the weather is beautiful. When are you coming through? We have a parade on Friday if that's you're cup of tea.

brownshoe

Contributor
How's Lexington, Va this time of year??? I'm taking a ride up to Antietam, Md this weekend, but am looking forward to riding down through the Shenendoah valley.

If you’re going to visit the battlefield, then you might also want to stop at the Monocacy battlefield on 355 just below Frederick. They (The Park Service) have done a nice job, really nice hiking paths and a nice park.

If you’d like, I’d buy you and your fellow traveler(s) breakfast at the Barbara Fritchie Restaurant as you head up the mountain to Antietam. Good country food just let me know. I’d meet you there.

Steve

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Final Countdown, Top Gun, Flight of the Intruder, MIDWAY, Tora Tora Tora, Flying Leathernecks, Behind Enemy Lines(terrible movie, cool cinematography), and I really liked the movies made during WW2..ie. Wake Island, Wing and a Prayer...

All time non-aviation movie...probably The Incredible Mr. Limpett, or Father Goose.... jk..but hey Father Goose was good.

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
Someone said 12 O'Clock High pages earlier; the air footage in that movie is amazing--totally real and pre-special effects. It may be in black and white but you can't look away from those flight sequences.

Also, what about The Flying Tigers?

Redux

Tora Tora Tora and my all time favorite as a kid, 30 Seconds Over Tokyo.........anyone notice how the ORIGINAL "Ruptured Duck" shots got mixed in with "Pearl Harbor"? B 25 was a Tits Machine IMO.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Midway,The Final Countdown, Pearl Harbor, Top Gun, Behind Enemy Lines only because it was shot at my squadron.

tomcatfan

Final Select OCS 25 MARCH SNA
just received Bridges at Toko-Ri today and loved it. Another movie to add to the collection.

2sr2worry

Naval Aviation=world's greatest team sport
If you want to see some great pre-WWII footage of NAS North Island then be sure and watch "Dive Bomber" with Errol Flynn and Fred MacMurray.

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Wings Of Eagles, Final Countdown, Bridges at Toko Ri for Naval Aviation.
In Harm's Way and The Caine Mutiny for Navy

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If you want to see some great pre-WWII footage of NAS North Island then be sure and watch "Dive Bomber" with Errol Flynn and Fred MacMurray.

That is some of best period footage ever shot for sure! Rows and rows of vintage biplanes and waves of them overflying NI! Doesn't get any better than that!

Malo83

Keep the Faith
The BEST -- overall: The Bridges @ Toko-Ri ... what other movie has a line like this that becomes eternal: "Where DO we get such men .... ?" :)

Also worth checkin' out, since no one has mentioned it: 1944's "WING & A PRAYER" .... story is 1940-ish (what else?) , but the snippets of WW2 carrier shipboard life are worth the time.

1944wingprayecy3.jpg
This is a great movie ;)
The Fighting Sullivans also :icon_smil