• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Naval Aviation movies

Sonog

pilot
I'm weary. Roland Emmerich likes to rely on VFX way too much to move story along. And honestly, that trailer shows it.

Yea this looks like shit. I think its going to be impossibly bad. Its going to make Pearl Harbor look like Thin Red Line.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I remain cautiously optimistic.

Although it sounds like gatordev and I are of the same mind both wrt VFX and historical accuracy.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I should clarify. I'm weary of Roland Emmerich. I'm wary of this movie.

Notanaviator

Contributor
While on the subject - what event(s) or periods do you believe would make for a good adaptation to the screen? Ground rules are military aviation focus, assume (generously) that it would be well made. I think there are a bunch of fascinating stories and eras that either haven't been covered well or at all.

MGoBrew11

pilot
While on the subject - what event(s) or periods do you believe would make for a good adaptation to the screen? Ground rules are military aviation focus, assume (generously) that it would be well made. I think there are a bunch of fascinating stories and eras that either haven't been covered well or at all.

The Rescue of Streetcar 304

Couldn’t put it down while reading it. It would make an amazing movie.

Would also like to see a modern remake of Love and War by the Stockdales.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Fine, you hipsters go sip your absinth and listen to movies only on vinyl. I’m still excited for this joint, even if it turns out to be just a noisy blockbuster.

And The Thin Red Line was overlong, pretentious, and boring. So there.
Thin Red Line was an art movie dressed up like a war movie.

I'd love to see a private Ryan/fury treatment of some of the Pacific naval battles from Neptune's Inferno but I can imagine that it would be very hard to properly film a naval battle in such a way that is engaging for the squares.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

A good biopic of Jimmy Doolittle. The Raid’s been documented, but the guy’s career was insane.

Also a movie about Robin Olds, the 8th TFW, and Operation Bolo.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
While on the subject - what event(s) or periods do you believe would make for a good adaptation to the screen? Ground rules are military aviation focus, assume (generously) that it would be well made.
It’s not directly focused on military aviation, only related, but the central person in the story is a former naval aviator with some obvious survivor’s guilt and some other service-related mental health issues... I think the story and the events around Trans American Airlines Flight 209 made a pretty good adaptation to the screen.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I remain cautiously optimistic.

Although it sounds like gatordev and I are of the same mind both wrt VFX and historical accuracy.
Sure, it is pretty cheap of him not to rent all the Devastators and Dauntless out there but there is no excuse for not using the actual USS Hornet - CV-8! ?

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Oh, so we've met. I readily admit I'm not the guy to watch a(n) historical movie with, especially if I've read any kind of "book" about said story.
But you are the guy who is not brave enough to write, correctly, “an historical movie” because you are afraid @Brett327 might make fun of you!

Pags

N/A
pilot
Sure, it is pretty cheap of him not to rent all the Devastators and Dauntless out there but there is no excuse for not using the actual USS Hornet - CV-8! ?
Yeah, my optimism waned a lot when I saw the poster that was shared earlier in this thread. It's the 21st century and there's no shortage of CGI tools available so there's no excuse to use a picture of a Texan on the poster. Shit, a big budget film should've been able to either build an accurate ground replica and do some CGI magic or use some of the remaining examples of SBDs to develop accurate imagery. Harder with a devastator, but there's no shortage or photos and there are likely some engineering drawings in an archive or two.

The CGI from the trailer look very cheese dick as did the over application of filters. The CGI just looked very cartoony and not like a big budget production.

Also not sure how accurate all the below mast height/roof height strafing runs are. I know the dive and torpedo bombers generally recovered from their attack runs at low altitudes but the shots of aircraft dodging between masts made me wonder at their accuracy.

I'll still see it but I hope it's not a shitty sequel to the shitty "Pearl Harbor."