• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Duty Stations

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
As with everything else ... it's all relative. Times change and so do bases ....

A lot of you boys like "K-Bay" ..... but Kaneohe @ the '50's/60's ... ??? A major-league P.O.S. Truly, one of the worst ... Grunts-a-bunch and not too much else. In fact, that is kind of true for Kaneohe in general until the USN closed Barber's Point and moved lots of Navy $$$$ to Kaneohe in the '90's. Today .... ??? MCBH (Kaneohe) is excellent.

My short list for 'da Best -- or close to it (??):

50's: Ft Shafter, Pearl Harbor, The Presidio ... I was there (just a kid :) )

60's: Ft. Lawton (SEA), Sand Point, Pensacola, Moffett, Alameda, Coronado/North Island, Barber's Point, Canal Zone, Rota

70's: Pensacola, Boca Chica, Miramar, Barber's Point, Alameda, Subic/CUBI Point, Rosey Roads

80's: Miramar, Barber's Point (do you see a trend here???) .... then nothing .... maybe Adak :)

90's: Not much ... Whidbey getting "better", still Coronado/North Island

Now: Whidbey, Kaneohe .... and wherever the limes are juicy and the tequila is plentiful :icon_rast

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Now: Whidbey, Kaneohe .... and wherever the limes are juicy and the tequila is plentiful :icon_rast

While I agree with you 90% of the time, let's not forget the single factor and the plethora of free and available a$s for your average JG on Oahu vice Oak Harbor.

keep in mind, I'm hammered right now

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A4sForever said:
, Boca Chica,
Sigh, now that would have been a NICE duty station.... Apparently there are C12 orders down there as station pilot, wonder who you have to kill for those, eh?

Concur with A4s, Kbay infrastructure tremendously benefited from the closure of Barbers. And they are continuing to make steady improvements on the base, and in housing. They also did it the RIGHT way, fix the enlisted housing first, where it is needed, but that is just my opinion.

As for the $$$ of Hawaii, well, that is what you pay to live in paradise.... some ppl like it, some don't.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
zab1001 said:
While I agree with you 90% of the time, let's not forget the single factor and the plethora of free and available a$s for your average JG on Oahu vice Oak Harbor.

keep in mind, I'm hammered right now
On a pound for pound basis, Whidbey has got to be the winner. :D

Brett

KBayDog

A4sForever said:
As with everything else ... it's all relative. Times change and so do bases ....

A lot of you boys like "K-Bay" ..... but Kaneohe @ the '50's/60's ... ??? A major-league P.O.S. Truly, one of the worst ... Grunts-a-bunch and not too much else. In fact, that is kind of true for Kaneohe in general until the USN closed Barber's Point and moved lots of Navy $$$$ to Kaneohe in the '90's. Today .... ??? MCBH (Kaneohe) is excellent.

I was at K-Bay for a few years prior to the closing of Barber's Point (and before they opened Da' H-3), and, indeed, it was very...Marine. We did the best we could to make it look nice, but there is only so much you can do to maintain WWII-era facilities. (Anyone who has spent any time at Camp Smith knows what I am talking about.) From what I understand, the place hadn't changed too much from the 50s/60s until I was there in the mid-late 90s. In fact, the big events while it was still a "Marine" base were the opening of the new Exchange...to replace one that was about the same size as the one at Whiting, and the opening of the new gym...to replace the weight room that existed in a large shed.

Once Barber's closed, though...wow. Junior-enlisted "condos" sprung up on the football field next to the gym, the ancient junior enlisted houses were razed and reborn, the runway was actually used (which meant that there were long delays in getting to/from the beach, so that cut down on my surfing during lunch :(), etc.

The Navy and Marine Corps have some awesome duty stations (I've been very lucky so far), but you cannot beat getting paid to live in Windward Oahu.

Put me down for K-Bay.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
On a pound for pound basis, Whidbey has got to be the winner. :D

Brett
I think most of the Puget Sound area has that problem. Thank God I was married when I was there.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CORPSviation said:
any USMC at North Island?
What, stealing Miramar wasn't good enough for you? Now you want to take over NI too? WTF? ;)

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
zab1001 said:
While I agree with you 90% of the time.....keep in mind, I'm hammered right now
Hey, I hear you .... and I can accept that. It must be a b!tch to be wrong 10% of the time. But as the FAA only requires "70% and fly" .... I guess it's O.K. :D

Hammer on ...

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Pendleton wasn't a bad place to be as a single guy. Especially the northen camps (Horno, Mateo etc) because it was only 5-10 minutes from San Clemente which is an awesome little beach town. Pendleton is about halfway between LA and SD, only 5 hours from Vegas, right on the beach, big bear is a couple hours away, Lake Havasu, Malibu, PCH, 3 baseball stadiums within an hours drive, good food. Don't know that I'd go out of my way to live there now that I'm married with kids, but if I did I wouldn't complain.

Jacksonville NC gets a bad rap, the town itself isn't a paradise but I live out in the country and absolutely love it. For a married guy you couldn't ask for a better place. Good hunting, outstanding fishing (both fresh and saltwater), not as 'busy' as SoCal (although Jacksonville itself seems a little busy at times, but it's not). I enjoy the slower pace of the south and hospitality, but most of all I enjoy the southern cooking (Texan born and bred).

Quantico wasn't bad but I-95 and all the traffic is horrible.

Pensacola was a dream, loved it!

Corpus was a great place. Good hunting and fishing. Navy owns 7000 acres a few hours north of CC that is open to military for hunting fishing camping, great Mexican food (because it's Texas), only 3 hours from San Antonio.

I'm a firm believer that you can be stationed in an absolute sh!thole and make the best of it.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
KBayDog said:
There goes your credibility. :D

You're just bitter because you didn't get stationed at Meridian. And because your Test Pilot School package got rejected, I told you to wait until you're out of the HT's to submit it!!

KBayDog

E5B said:
You're just bitter because you didn't get stationed at Meridian. And because your Test Pilot School package got rejected, I told you to wait until you're out of the HT's to submit it!!

You got me. Fortunately, they accepted me to stick around as a HITU instructor after I get Winged.

I just submitted my NASA package, but I'll wait until I get selected before I make up my mind as to whether I want to go astronaut or Force Recon. In any event, I figured that I'd wait until after my back-to-back-to-back FAC/JAG/MOI tours before I put in for my F-22 exchange tour.

Edit: Here is an obligatory AW Smiley, lest anyone take me seriously :)