• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Best Duty Stations

nublett

Been there, done that.
There has been much discussion about the worst duty stations that I thought I might make a positive turn and throw the question out there... What is the best duty station, and why?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Wholly depends on what you like. Whidbey has great fishing, hunting, skiing, backpacking, beer, Low Levels, MOA's and is a sleepy hollow with average temps in the 60's and I loved it. Many did not. If you like North Island there's a pretty good chance Whidbey would suck your will to live!

RAF Kinloss

I was there for 3 weeks in 2001 and it is beautiful up there. A little drive to Loch Ness and fish and chips on every corner in Nairn.

East

东部
Contributor
NAS Valkenburg, The Netherlands

....20 minutes drive to Amsterdam (the real a$$-hole of the world)

:icon_drin :icon_rast

Attachments

• 13orions-1.jpg
    13orions-1.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 101

nublett

Been there, done that.
Kimphil, Gatordev, Zab, & Webmaster, Why Kaneohe? For the beauty or the duty? How long before you got rock fever?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBay...it's just an awesome place to be. No matter how sh!tty a day you might have at work, you walk outside the hangar and it's absolutely beautiful.

I never had "island fever". There's way too much to do. If you don't like the beach or the outdoors, I guess I could see someone getting tired of it. Great nightlife as well. I commuted from downtown Honolulu (literally, Bishop Street) and got to do the city thing as well as the beach thing.

I'm a fan of any place you can bbq outside year round.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Up until late last year, Rota, Spain. I think there are still a few support people still there so I guess that still makes it a valid choice.....:D

Nothing like going out in town at midnight on a late spring weekend and just hanging out on the waterfront, talk about some drop dead gorgeous women that put Penolope Cruz to shame........:icon_smil

A hit on Hawaii, too friggin expensive :eek:, that is unless you are a man of leisure like A4s......

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
zab1001 said:
KBay...it's just an awesome place to be. No matter how sh!tty a day you might have at work, you walk outside the hangar and it's absolutely beautiful.

I never had "island fever". There's way too much to do. If you don't like the beach or the outdoors, I guess I could see someone getting tired of it. Great nightlife as well. I commuted from downtown Honolulu (literally, Bishop Street) and got to do the city thing as well as the beach thing.

I'm a fan of any place you can bbq outside year round.

Concur. I never got island fever. I also didn't exactly have the most "fun" tour there, workwise (wasn't actually on the island for about 40% of the time), but like Zab said, at the end of the crappy day, you're still in Hawaii. As for expense, it was never a big issue. Housing sucked, and I paid way too much for not much of a place, but the DoD kept up reasonably well w/ the costs and between deployments and smart money handling, I still put money away each month (after all the "mandatory" savings).

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Best duty station hands down: University of Florida in Gainesville, FL. However, a very close second was Idaho Falls, ID.