• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Being the FNG (Surviving rites of passage in your first squadron)

MasterBates

One last bit of comic gold..

If you can somehow show up in a fleet squadron as an ENS.. DO IT.

I was the first Bull Ensign they had since one of the LCDRs was a newly winged NAVCAD (as strange as it may seem to people, I actually went from first flight to wings in 10 months the first time.. Seen both extremes of the spectrum now).

COs, Commodore, none were safe. The XO sent me on a reign of pranks that were always explained away with "Fucking Ensign... I'll have to talk to him" by the CO or XO.

Being the Bull Ensign is a GOOD THING if you can swing it. I even got my own parking spot. (COs painted over to read BULL ENSIGN).

For a while, the CO thought I was just getting to work early and staying late. What had really happened is me and some JOs painted the spot, then put my 68 Mustang in the spot, left it there for 2 weeks, and when he was flying I'd go turn it around or move it slightly, and I rode my bike to work and parked around the side where the CO did not see my bike.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
One last bit of comic gold..

If you can somehow show up in a fleet squadron as an ENS.. DO IT.

I was the first Bull Ensign they had since one of the LCDRs was a newly winged NAVCAD (as strange as it may seem to people, I actually went from first flight to wings in 10 months the first time.. Seen both extremes of the spectrum now).

COs, Commodore, none were safe. The XO sent me on a reign of pranks that were always explained away with "Fucking Ensign... I'll have to talk to him" by the CO or XO.

Being the Bull Ensign is a GOOD THING if you can swing it. I even got my own parking spot. (COs painted over to read BULL ENSIGN).

For a while, the CO thought I was just getting to work early and staying late. What had really happened is me and some JOs painted the spot, then put my 68 Mustang in the spot, left it there for 2 weeks, and when he was flying I'd go turn it around or move it slightly, and I rode my bike to work and parked around the side where the CO did not see my bike.

I probably am one of the closest to make it in this day and age of wait times and IFS. I'm pinning on JG this week (early) and halfway through the RAG roughly. Oh well..

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
Are you George Costanza? Between the tales of woe and the parking spot trick, you're pretty spot on.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
I probably am one of the closest to make it in this day and age of wait times and IFS. I'm pinning on JG this week (early) and halfway through the RAG roughly. Oh well..

How are you promoting early? Wait, maybe I don't want to know...

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
hmm, some advice for the FNG checking into his first squadron, hmm ... yea, if you're told by another O-3 in your squadron to call "Captain Dee's" for something about your "orders" & he gives you a number to call, take a couple minutes to ponder that before picking up the phone...

SF

exhelodrvr

pilot
Be ready when you are standing SDO watches; know where the manuals and "action plans" are. Make sure you're prepared to give the briefs.

This is probably automated by now, but if it's not, keep track of your instrument approaches and time, and make sure you have your minimums at least a month early. You don't want to be scheduled for an instrument check and not have enough approaches.

Make sure you plan ahead for your flight physical.

Get your NATOPS tests done on time.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Pickle, WTF are you doing man? You don't have time to write this crap!

DO YOUR PQS!!! AND STAND SOME GOD DAMN DUTY!!!

Now that's a proper P-3 welcome.

Enjoy Whidbey, that place ROCKS!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
How are you promoting early? Wait, maybe I don't want to know...

Because Training called me and said, "Show up at the AOM on friday in khakis and with your JG bars. You're pinning". There are three of us pinning, and we're all pinning at the same time as the earliest guy. When I asked the Training O, they just kind of shrugged and said... "eh.. it's a little early. Just wear the rank. No one will know or care". I was very adamant about asking, but that's the consensus...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Being a JG just makes you more of a sleeper dumbass than an outright dumbass. Everyone expects the Ensigns to be retarded, but sometimes they expect better of a JG and get surprised to find that in reality, now i'm just a better paid dumbass.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Because Training called me and said, "Show up at the AOM on friday in khakis and with your JG bars. You're pinning". There are three of us pinning, and we're all pinning at the same time as the earliest guy. When I asked the Training O, they just kind of shrugged and said... "eh.. it's a little early. Just wear the rank. No one will know or care". I was very adamant about asking, but that's the consensus...

Unless it's some fluke, you shouldn't expect to get paid early though.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Pickle, WTF are you doing man? You don't have time to write this crap!

DO YOUR PQS!!! AND STAND SOME GOD DAMN DUTY!!!

Now that's a proper P-3 welcome.

Enjoy Whidbey, that place ROCKS!

U/I SDO tomorrow 0700

PQS now 0.73% complete (I got 2 pages signed off!)

I think my Hail is on the 11th...

The Bull here is an awesome dude...really helped out getting me good PQS gouge...plus initialed a few lines for one of the SME's to bottom line (we have no ensign's..the Bull is an LT)

Paid the first half of the wardroom due's today...ran into the Skipper in the duty office...seems like a really good guy...check in with XO/CO tomorrow...hopefully I can keep my foot out of my mouth and not say anything horribly stupid (I guess that means I won't do much talking...)

I walked down to Maintenance Control today and met a couple of the Chiefs...asked about getting on some turns so I can figure out this Taxi/Turn Pilot thing before I do my Stan check and get qualified to Taxi into the wild black yonder on my own, hopefully tonight or tomorrow night...

Now I just need to find those good spots to sit and study without being in the way/getting voluntold...The wardroom gets used for boards/meetings about every day, but the chart room looks promising...

Oh, and a word to the wise...if you see a First Class wearing a nametag that says "CPO Selectee"...he is "Chief Select", not "Petty Officer"...I love looking like a douchebag sometimes! Luckily no harm, no foul...

Pickle