• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Being the FNG (Surviving rites of passage in your first squadron)

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Being the the newest check-in at my first Sea-Duty Station out of the FRS, I thought I would post some of my experiences/gouge/fuck-ups to help the next new guy before they make the move from School to "The Fleet."

A little background first (for those who don't know me): I am currently an LTJG with 2.5 years prior-E experience. I was a SS3 in P-3's, so I have a slight advantage in knowing my way around the squadron. I enlisted in '04, commissioned in '06 via OCS, winged 15 October 2008, and checked out of VP-30 23JUL09.

My wife and I drove to NASWI arriving 01AUG09. I talked to my sponsor (who was on leave) for the first time on 30JUL09 (from Couer de Lane, ID) but had gotten a lot of info from a buddy who is an NFO at my new squadron. The best gouge I received from my sponsor was to check in after the 15th of the month.

As a 3P you have a PQS to complete within a certain amount of time...that time starts depending on when you check in. If you check in before the 15th, your PQS start date is actually the first of that month, so you are already 2 weeks behind the "curve". Checking in after the 15th meant my start date isn't until 01SEP09...I get 2 weeks to get ahead. Very helpful when most of your early evaluation as a 3P rides on how far ahead or behind you are on your PQS syllabus.

I checked in wearing Khaki's, good shine, haircut, etc...that first impression is still important...even if you get some shit from the guys for it. I showed at approx. 0715, the SDO stamped the orders, and off to Admin I went. Most people are used to the first 3 days of checking in to a squadron being light days...the same holds fairly true, I DID get home early (1330) but had a lot to do in the interim...much data entry, dropped the records off at the Hospital, dropped off the NATOPS, Logbook, etc.

One thing that your sponsor (or someone) should do is walk you around personally and show you who signs off each line on the check-in sheet, where everything is, the code to the wardroom, etc. It saves you from wandering around, lost, looking like a douchebag. I had two guys really help out; one guy was on LIMPDU so he really had no flying, and the other was willing to help show the FNG around.

Expect some ribbing, shenanigans...it is fun to be had at you expense, but no serious harm is meant...so don't be the guy who is an assbag and takes it personally. You may have a cool FNG patch, or a stupid jacket, etc.

Being a part of the wardroom means dues. My buy-in will be $150, and quarterly is like $30...it's part of being the cool kids with the mugs and bowling shirts...The wardroom treasurer will probably bust yer balls a little until you pay, but it goes for the betterment of your life, don't be reluctant about it. (I've got 2 kids, a wife, 1 salary...it hurts a little, but Mrs. Pickle understands)

Bring cash with you on that first day...you may have to pick up your own squadron patch, you will probably catch food on the run, and CSD always has some good deal going on with some cool shit. Don't be the guy walking around on day 2 with a VP-30 patch, you will definitely get some shit (I have to take this moment to thank our Flight Doc for the heads up and the loaner patch)

Things you need to have on you, or readily accessible, when you walk in the door that first day:
NATOPS Jacket
Original Orders
Log Book
Medical/Dental Record
Military Passport (our command collects and holds on to them)
Bank info (routing/account)
NKO login/password (always GMT to do)
Issued flight gear for the PR's (Airsave vest/Helmet)
2 pens/notepad...lots of shit to write down
Cash ($20 should do)
Checkbook (Wardroom dues)

Stuff I did before I checked in:

Hit up Pass and Tag for decal/flightline badge (you need orders/ID)
Moved into my house (you cannot always get house-hunting leave: this is command dependent)
Studied NATOPS/Job Aid (you will be flying a Stan check in the first week...)

Stuff I wish I had done before I checked in:

Studied a little more
Reviewed the PQS issued to me once before I started studying, to know what to expect on fly/Sim 1
Washed/dried my flightsuit to knock the wrinkles out (looked like a bag of ass because it had some sweet creases from the 10 days it was in my truck)
A more thorough recon of the base to find medical, all the gates, etc.
Finished my travel/dity claim...now I get to spend a few hours later this week/weekend taping receipts/weigh tickets and mailing shit out...

Lastly, copy down all of the new login/passwords you get (SHARP, Flight Sked) and be sure to check that flight schedule from day one...noone wants to be "that guy" on week one.

Hopefully this helps someone on the first 3 days...more to follow on the PQS, Stan check, and Taxi Pilot shenanigans...
fngpatch.jpg

Pickle

Bevo16

pilot
Good post.

It is interesting to note the difference in culture between communities. It was basically an order to check into HS-10 in flight suits, and the transfer to HS-8 consisted of walking over in a flight suit and turning in some papers and moving my gear from one PR shop to another.

To you list of advice, I would add. "Silence is golden." That does not mean to not ask questions or have conversation, but nobody wants to hear the FNG's stories. Give it a month, get ahead on quals (if you are not ahead, you are behind), and make friends with the guys in the line shack and the maintenance chiefs.

I am over at the sub base at Bangor for a conference all week. Give me a ring if you want to do dinner. OBTW, I don't know my way around.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Yeah, that sounds about right. It's cool to finally be at my first squadron but it's going to be a lot of work. Another thing to consider for new check-ins is to take house hunting leave right after you show up. It allows you to check-in and get all the admin stuff out of the way and get situated before the shit hits the fan. Like me, for example, the movers managed to damage every piece of furniture I had moved so now I need to deal with the claims process. Beware AAA Transfer Company in Jacksonville...

ACowboyinTexas

Armed and Dangerous
pilot
Contributor
Pickle, that is such a damn good post I'm not even going to give your community a ration for how much more anal it was than any check in I ever went through;-) That's probably to be expected, anyway.
Thanks for posting something so useful for anyone following you to fleet life in a P-3 squadron. I would add that a FNG wouldn't go far wrong taking this advice into any new squadron. You can always relax a little bit if you're wrapped too tight, but it's hard to overcome a bad first impression.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Is the PQS squadron dependent, or is it floating around out in NKO somewhere?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Is the PQS squadron dependent, or is it floating around out in NKO somewhere?

The PQS is standard fleet-wide in the P-3 community. VP-30 will issue it to you on the way out the door (they have a whole stack in IML).

It's about 2X as thick as your Pilot Job Aid...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
WTF is a "Job Aid"??

Sort of a condensed NATOPS/NATOPS for Dummies.

Takes the ridiculous P-3 Natops and translates the systems explanations into Liberal Arts-ese.

Yes, it seems redundant ("why not write the NATOPS in that style?")

Regardless, that book is/was money.

exhelodrvr

pilot
Good points.

I would add not to be hesitant about asking questions (NATOPS, tactics, etc.) but do a little research first.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Bowling shirts?

When HSC-22 stood up the wardroom chipped in and got bowling shirts, golf shirts, and Sperry's (deck shoes) for the Helo Ball. Everything was black and white since those were the squadron colors. Whever they went, they went in style. :)

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
The PQS is standard fleet-wide in the P-3 community. VP-30 will issue it to you on the way out the door (they have a whole stack in IML).

It's about 2X as thick as your Pilot Job Aid...

They ran out of PQSs when I was checking out so I don't have one yet, lucky me. The Pilot Job Aid is a great resource though.

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Amazing, the hoops you have to jump through these days. From an old guy, here's what I remember about going from the RAG to a Fleet Squadron:

Finished CQ at VA-174 as an Ensign and two days later was on a commercial flight from JAX to PHL, MAC flight to Rota, VR-?? (C-118) flight to Naples, bus to fleet landing, P-boat ride to CVN-68, find my way to Ready Two (VA-86) with sea bag on my shoulder and severe case of heavy eye-lids. It was now 1800 Naples time and several of my new squadron-mates were in civies and ready to go ashore. They showed me to my 6-man bunkroom, impatiently waited while I changed into civies, and led me ashore where I experienced my first greasy Naples pizza followed by a night of drinking Peroni beer at Tony's near fleet landing. After finally rolling into the rack at around 0400, I was politely awakened at 0730 by a 6' 3" hulk of a maintenance LDO standing next to my rack bellowing in a gravelly voice, "Where the F*** is the FNG?!!! Get your sorry ass out of bed. What do you think this is? A f***ing pleasure cruise? I got a maintenance turn on the flight deck to do and I need a f***ing pilot!" Ahh, the good ol' days.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
PQS runs a little different in the Tailhook side, but as far as level of completion being the main way they track your progress, that's pretty much true. Some guys kinda toss it aside at first since you've got a few months to get it done...bad idea. Get into it ASAP.

Other than that...be seen a lot and heard not at all for the first six months. Pay your dues. Don't ever, ever start a sentence with "But at the RAG, they told us..." Do the shitty FNG jobs well. Don't leave the TPI safe open. Don't bother arguing your callsign - you probably won't like it, and fighting it just makes it stick harder. Do not try to give yourself a callsign. Fly, fly, fly. Fly your ass off, and if they're not scheduling much, become a bothersome presence in the SkedsO's life until you are. Listen to your on-wing. Go to lunch with the rest of JOPA. Be willing to take a few shitty watches (New Year's SDO, etc) for the team. Don't suck.