• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Being married at TBS

bubba716

Hey guys, I was just wondering what everyone's opinion about bring your spouse to TBS was. I'm not married yet, actually not even engaged yet, but am just trying to think ahead about what me and my future spouse will do when I head back to Quantico after graduation.

KBayDog

Absolutely bring her. I've said it before: The TBS hours suck, but you'll still have plenty of time to spend with each other. You'll have more than enough opportunities to leave her for 6+ months at a time; don't let a school in Quantico be that time.

Plus, it is a good opportunity for her to get an idea of what you are going to be doing for the next couple of years. Since a lot of the students' spouses are new to the military, the instructors' spouses often have classes/coffees/dinners to introduce the students' spouses to Marine Corps life.

Reactions: E5B

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
I have another question about the married Lt at TBS situation. I've read the previous threads and I'm still not sure exactly what the answer to this is. I know that as a married lieutenant, you have the option of getting BAH to live off-base, usually in Stafford. I've heard that you also get a rack in a barracks room at TBS, mainly for late-night events, mess night, etc. So, if you're doing the brown-bagger thing and taking BAH, is there any limit on how often you can stay in the barracks? Here's why I'm asking- when I get to TBS, my wife will be working fairly long hours for a law firm in downtown DC. So, if I live off-base, we have a choice between her having a long commute from Stafford, me having a long commute from Arlington, or some sort of inconvenient compromise. Would it be possible for me to stay in barracks 3-4 nights a week to minimize the nasty commuting, or would I have to give up BAH to do that?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
esday1 said:
I have another question about the married Lt at TBS situation. I've read the previous threads and I'm still not sure exactly what the answer to this is. I know that as a married lieutenant, you have the option of getting BAH to live off-base, usually in Stafford. I've heard that you also get a rack in a barracks room at TBS, mainly for late-night events, mess night, etc. So, if you're doing the brown-bagger thing and taking BAH, is there any limit on how often you can stay in the barracks? Here's why I'm asking- when I get to TBS, my wife will be working fairly long hours for a law firm in downtown DC. So, if I live off-base, we have a choice between her having a long commute from Stafford, me having a long commute from Arlington, or some sort of inconvenient compromise. Would it be possible for me to stay in barracks 3-4 nights a week to minimize the nasty commuting, or would I have to give up BAH to do that?

You can stay in the barracks as many nights as you want and you will still get BAH (realize you will get BAH for quantico and not DC)...just realize that it will place a burden on your roommates. Lastly living in say Woodbridge (20 min north) would not be too bad, the drive is fairly ok both ways and there will be MANY nights when you just want to "get away"...

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Bingo

KBayDog said:
Absolutely bring her. I've said it before: The TBS hours suck, but you'll still have plenty of time to spend with each other. You'll have more than enough opportunities to leave her for 6+ months at a time; don't let a school in Quantico be that time.

Plus, it is a good opportunity for her to get an idea of what you are going to be doing for the next couple of years. Since a lot of the students' spouses are new to the military, the instructors' spouses often have classes/coffees/dinners to introduce the students' spouses to Marine Corps life.

I couldn't have said it better myself!

There were a couple of times we didn't get out of the field until 0200 or so then got secured an hour later. On top of that, we had an on deck time of 0530 or so. I made it a point to go home no matter how much sleep I lost because the wife usually had hot chow waiting for me, it gave us time to catch up, and if by chance my son was up fussing or feeding it gave me a chance to see him. Plus there's nothing like "your bed". During range week I stayed a couple of nights but the wife still dropped off hot chow. It in no way "burdened" my roommates, besides the rooms (I was in) were set up for 4 people so when I was't there they had it easy with just 3......and if it bothers your roommates they can just get the fvck over it....brownbaggers have a place in a room for a reason.

KBaydog was right on about the spouse stuff. My wife really enjoyed learning what all is involved being a military spouse. She actually learned alot, especially with LINKS even though she was a military BRAT her whole life.

Bring your wife to TBS!

riley

Plus it always puts a smile on my face, knowing my roomates were stuck in a condemned room while I was having crazy sex and then coming in the next day to brag about it. TBS was the first time people envied the married dudes.

Malice 1

pilot
riley mcconnell said:
Plus it always puts a smile on my face, knowing my roomates were stuck in a condemned room while I was having crazy sex and then coming in the next day to brag about it. TBS was the first time people envied the married dudes.

werd to that. Bigtime.

I love being able to come home at night and escape the wretchedness of O'Bannon hall. My roomates and I are the kind of people that would never ever hang out outside of work, so I'm glad I don't have to spend 24/7 with them.

The only complaint I have about bringing my wife is the lack of sleep I get. My wife always tries to keep me up late at night to talk, screw, etc.. So I get 1-3 hrs less sleep than the guys who live in the barracks. I'm getting used to it though. From my petty little experience in the Marines, I've learned that combat arms guys don't ever sleep anyways, so I'm just getting good practice.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
jamnww said:
living in say Woodbridge (20 min north) would not be too bad, the drive is fairly ok both ways and there will be MANY nights when you just want to "get away"...

Doesn't sound like you've commuted to DC from woodbridge on a regular basis... The traffic suuuuuuucks. Depending on what time she'd be leaving, she could plan on an hr on a pretty good day 2 on a bad day- both ways if shes driving.
The commute in the opposite direction of traffic is a lot better (there are still random days some assclown decides to do something crazy and close down the lanes in the opposite directions as well so living far away from TBS isnt so perfect either). There are some options for her to make the trip though. Commuter rail/bus, drive to metro etc.

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
zippy said:
Doesn't sound like you've commuted to DC from woodbridge on a regular basis... The traffic suuuuuuucks. Depending on what time she'd be leaving, she could plan on an hr on a pretty good day 2 on a bad day- both ways if shes driving.
The commute in the opposite direction of traffic is a lot better (there are still random days some assclown decides to do something crazy and close down the lanes in the opposite directions as well so living far away from TBS isnt so perfect either). There are some options for her to make the trip though. Commuter rail/bus, drive to metro etc.

1 hr drive is less than 2 on a good day, therefore its better than living in stafford...my wife did it for a year, yeah it sucks but at least she was able to get enough sleep on a regular basis which I didn't get most of the time...her driving awake or me driving tired...who wins?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
SgtUSMC said:
Gents, what about Fredericksburg? Is that a realistic place to live?

S/F

Maybe but then you are running into traffic into DC on bad days both coming and going. If you don't have to "split some distance" with a spouse live in Stafford...if you do then work something out both sides are comfortable with and realize that you will be getting much less sleep then her so safety wise it makes sense for her to drive further...yeah the wife didn't like that too well either...

Malice 1

pilot
Traffic sucks bad when driving from woodbridge to DC, I did it for several months. It really did take me 2 hrs each way on a bad day. There are alternatives to driving though.

1) VRE. The train is really nice, but it's kinda slow. It's a great place to catch up on work/sleep during the commute.

2)PRTC bus. $5.50 each way to and from the city, but its a nice greyhound style bus. It's a little too cramped to do paperwork on board, but you can get a good 45 min sleep on the bus. It never runs on schedule. You have to go stand at the bus stop and wait.

3) SLUG!! Ride in cars with random people while taking advantage of the carpool lanes. It's the fastest way to get downtown, it's free, and there is rarely a wait to get a ride. Many conservative minded people have a big problem with this concept, and I can't understand why. I did it for months. I went to the slug lot each morning, stood in the "pentagon line" (I was working in rosslyn, pretty close by) and got in some rich old man's mercedes and slept while he drove me to work in the HOV lane. I got out at the designated drop point, and went to work. I did the same thing in the evening. Unless there was a catastrophic accident on the interstate, It never took more than 25 minutes for me to get from DC to woodbridge or vice versa.
http://www.slug-lines.com/

SgtUSMC

So, would you guys recommend getting base housing if you can? I know that 0-1E BAH is pretty high for Quantico, but I guess I would give up a few bucks to get some more sleep and time with the family. Just a thought.

S/F

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I lived in Base Housing while I was at TBS and loved it. Don't believe the rumors about "TBS students not allowed in base housing" or my personal fav "the wait time is 6+ months, so don't even bother". I heard the same thing. The "waiting list" is always long, that's because folks tend to overlook one thing....base housing is a first come first serve basis. If you show up with orders then you are next in line. What I did is drive around the officer houses and take notes of all the empty houses and when housing said "we don't have any houses availible I pulled that list out and the Tap dancing began. The day I got to Quantico I had a house.

That being said, all the bases are going to "Privatized Housing" ran by civilians, and they obviously do things a little different (like change the rules whenever it suits 'them') So far I've lived in base housing at 4 diffenent bases in the last 4 years and enjoyed them all. Some had better service, some had better facilities but overall I'm glad I made the decision.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I like in the BOQ and my wife stayed back in Washington state when I came here. We were married in Dec and Im kickin myself for not moving her here after that. There are lots of nights I would like to get the hell out of here. But I have great roommates, and we have a good time. However, not as good of a time as I would have with my wife...