• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bdcp $$

BackOrdered

Contributor
Would one say BDCP is a better program than say NROTC? I am a non tech major so I could only get 2 years. I am currently a mid not on scholarship so in the event I did not pick up a 3yr it might in fact be better to do BDCP for 2 yrs hmmmmm. When you commission do they count BDCP as time in grade? ie. 0-1 2 years +?

That's essentially what I did only I had two years of JC done and missed the boat on the 2 year scholarship and didn't want to wait until another board. I believe I'm better off but it's ultimately up to you if you think you'd be better off going BDCP. The only major warnings I got about going to OCS over NROTC other than "DON'T DOR!" was no, I wasn't going to know as much as the NROTC and USNA guys initially in the fleet and perhaps the one I take most seriously:

"Don't go to OCS waiting to learn leadership there, but assume you were selected on the premise you already are a leader. Otherwise, you're in trouble. "

Do any of you guys who went already agree with that statement?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Does that make him a Mustang?

NO NO NO!
Some BDCP guys show up at OCS and somehow think they are equivalent to a Third Class Petty Officer that came straight from the fleet. BDCP status does not in any way make you "prior enlisted", a Mustang, a seaman, or petty officer. Individuals under the BDCP program are called Collegiate. You are in an E-3, E-4, etc pay grade. Your ID will indicate you are an officer candidate. Never try to make more of your status. It is an insult to those guys that work their butts off in the fleet to make rank and actually perform in a rate that contributes to the Navy's readiness and war fighting ability. BDCP Collegiates do none of the above. We will not tolerate any BDCPer on Air Warriors putting himself out as a "real" sailor or a BDCP sourced Ensign as prior service. BDCP is a great deal. Take it for what it is. Nothing more.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
That's essentially what I did only I had two years of JC done and missed the boat on the 2 year scholarship and didn't want to wait until another board. I believe I'm better off but it's ultimately up to you if you think you'd be better off going BDCP. The only major warnings I got about going to OCS over NROTC other than "DON'T DOR!" was no, I wasn't going to know as much as the NROTC and USNA guys initially in the fleet and perhaps the one I take most seriously:

"Don't go to OCS waiting to learn leadership there, but assume you were selected on the premise you already are a leader. Otherwise, you're in trouble. "

Do any of you guys who went already agree with that statement?

Not necessarily. Yes you are expected to be a leader already (since you were qualified enough to be selected) but a lot of the stuff that you learn there is leadership building (such as candio phase). Granted you will probably learn a TON more in the fleet (I hope so) in a short period of time, but it's indoctrination training to be an officer. That being said, don't go to OCS feeling high and mighty like you're already a leader- ie:"entitled" (ESPECIALLY as BDCP), because you are NOT. Going to OCS is getting a chance to be SELECTED as a future officer. If you aren't selected, you go home, or in BDCP: Great Lakes. So go there with the intention of EARNING you commission, not simply receiving it. If you have an attitude of entitlement, your staff will clear that up for you RIGHT quick.

Hope that makes sense.

bb1125

None
Your ID will indicate you are an officer candidate. Never try to make more of your status.

Their ID's actually say Non-PO, PO2 or whatever pay grade their getting. Some of the BDCP'ers I was in OCS with would say they were PO2's or when we were on liberty, tell someone they've been in the Navy for two years, etc. Being a prior, I was especially quick to correct them and give them a reality check. It is definitely a great program for them, but I agree with your post. Take your paycheck and free leave and shut up.

BackOrdered

Contributor
That being said, don't go to OCS feeling high and mighty like you're already a leader- ie:"entitled" (ESPECIALLY as BDCP), because you are NOT. Going to OCS is getting a chance to be SELECTED as a future officer. If you aren't selected, you go home, or in BDCP: Great Lakes. So go there with the intention of EARNING you commission, not simply receiving it. If you have an attitude of entitlement, your staff will clear that up for you RIGHT quick.

Hope that makes sense.

Not at all. I feel as if my post was misunderstood completely. I didn't, in anyway, say "I'm already an officer." I only asked a question about what was once told to me. Saying "you're already a leader" doesn't mean saying "you're already an officer" until you pass OCS and yes anyone who thinks that has issues. Also, saying no one is capable of being a leader previous to passing OCS doesn't make a lot of sense to me either unless being a leader and being an officer are one in the same which I don't believe. My question concerned developing leadership skills such as intuition, wisdom, communication, interpersonal skills, confidence, and several others neccessary to be an effective officer. Saying "You're already a leader" is saying you are at least confident in these abilities or at least acknowledge, learn from mistakes, and improve on them, and it shows. Some people spend a life perfecting and sharpening these while some people completely ignore them and expect to learn them in OCS. Is it or is it not important to acknowledge them or ignore them before OCS was the question.

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None
Wow that is a good deal. Does that make him a Mustang?

I started BDCP in Oct '94 ($1,200/month back then) and did 1 year before going to OCS. I've often been asked if I'm prior enlisted, and I've always made it clear that I'm not prior, and that I have 1 year of service in BDCP where I received the same pay as an E-3. I then usually have to explain what BDCP is. I'd never insult an enlisted Sailor or those that were prior enlisted by putting myself in the same category as them based on me going to school and getting paid. I still have my BDCP ID card, and I was an OCSN back then.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Not at all. I feel as if my post was misunderstood completely. I didn't, in anyway, say "I'm already an officer." I only asked a question about what was once told to me. Saying "you're already a leader" doesn't mean saying "you're already an officer" until you pass OCS and yes anyone who thinks that has issues. Also, saying no one is capable of being a leader previous to passing OCS doesn't make a lot of sense to me either unless being a leader and being an officer are one in the same which I don't believe. My question concerned developing leadership skills such as intuition, wisdom, communication, interpersonal skills, confidence, and several others neccessary to be an effective officer. Saying "You're already a leader" is saying you are at least confident in these abilities or at least acknowledge, learn from mistakes, and improve on them, and it shows. Some people spend a life perfecting and sharpening these while some people completely ignore them and expect to learn them in OCS. Is it or is it not important to acknowledge them or ignore them before OCS was the question.

I understand what you're saying. What I meant was that people from all walks of life show up, and many were shit-hot guys in the civvy world and prior enlisted. Just about everyone who goes to OCS has good leadership qualities (what do you think brought them there). So I agree with that. but some people also show up feeling as if it's bootcamp, and that you just sit back, follow orders and get a commission after 12 weeks. It's almost as if they feel their resume entitles them to a commission. It isn't a lot, but there may be a one or two in the class with a bad outlook.

I was just supplying some advice, not admonishing anyone. It's a different mindset. You have to wake up every day knowing that people will get rid of you if you don't do everything you can to show you WANT your commission. It isn't bootcamp. They don't push you through. You have to earn it.

That's all I was saying.

Cheers,

Josh

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
We will not tolerate any BDCPer on Air Warriors putting himself out as a "real" sailor or a BDCP sourced Ensign as prior service. BDCP is a great deal. Take it for what it is. Nothing more.

The biggest sham is that you can get the good conduct medal for being in BDCP. The worst part? Most people are not in BDCP for exactly 36 months, rather the people I've seen get the good conduct were people who rolled into H-company (GTX for us old school guys ;)) and accrued enough "enlisted time" to be awarded the medal. There was a girl who was awarded the good conduct the day before commissioning in our class (due to GTX). It was such a joke.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I understand what you're saying. What I meant was that people from all walks of life show up, and many were shit-hot guys in the civvy world and prior enlisted. Just about everyone who goes to OCS has good leadership qualities (what do you think brought them there). So I agree with that. but some people also show up feeling as if it's bootcamp, and that you just sit back, follow orders and get a commission after 12 weeks. It's almost as if they feel their resume entitles them to a commission. It isn't a lot, but there may be a one or two in the class with a bad outlook.

I was just supplying some advice, not admonishing anyone. It's a different mindset. You have to wake up every day knowing that people will get rid of you if you don't do everything you can to show you WANT your commission. It isn't bootcamp. They don't push you through. You have to earn it.

That's all I was saying.

Cheers,

Josh

Understood

Kycntryboy

pilot
The biggest sham is that you can get the good conduct medal for being in BDCP. The worst part? Most people are not in BDCP for exactly 36 months, rather the people I've seen get the good conduct were people who rolled into H-company (GTX for us old school guys ;)) and accrued enough "enlisted time" to be awarded the medal. There was a girl who was awarded the good conduct the day before commissioning in our class (due to GTX). It was such a joke.

Thats pretty funny.

Quite possible the best benefit to BDCP besides years towards retirement is that it counts as years towards pay. Getting paid as an O1>3 is pretty nice considering that a $500 bump in pay a month.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Thats pretty funny.

Quite possible the best benefit to BDCP besides years towards retirement is that it counts as years towards pay. Getting paid as an O1>3 is pretty nice considering that a $500 bump in pay a month.

O1 > 2, the pay scale only goes up on even years.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
O1 > 2, the pay scale only goes up on even years.

...in most cases yes, but take a closer look at the payscale and you'll notice that officers get a decent bump at the 3 year mark while the enlisted don't. Why is this? Probably a retention tool to throw some extra cash your way before you hit your 4th year and can get out (obviously doen't apply to Aviation or USNA types).

http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
...in most cases yes, but take a closer look at the payscale and you'll notice that officers get a decent bump at the 3 year mark while the enlisted don't. Why is this? Probably a retention tool to throw some extra cash your way before you hit your 4th year and can get out (obviously doen't apply to Aviation or USNA types).

http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

Well, I'll be.... learn something new everyday.