• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bah-ii

Notso07

None
So the latest good news for the Naval Academy. TAD ensigns have to be on BAH-II vice normal Annapolis BAH. Thats $530 vs. $1350. I can't even rent a basement in Annapolis for less than $800. This was also the case for last years class. The new thing is I checked with the Annapolis housing office today, and while they gave Ensigns with no dependents govt housing last year, this year housing has been restricted to families. This leaves all the mids going aviation trying to find places to live as cheaply as possible putting 3 or 4 people in 2 BR apartments... do we flip burgers for a living? On that note, maybe I will start flipping burgers at night till January when I finally get down to P-cola and get real BAH.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought the subject of your post was a new war cry or something.

The intent of BAH is not to cover all of your housing expenses. I think around 80%.

Notso07

None
This does not come close to 80%. Normal Annapolis BAH is $1350 for an O1 with no dependents. We get the BAH-II rate of $530 for an O1 with no dependents (because we are now considered in transit, but I am here for 8 mos, and until last year this was never considered transit). $530 is about half of the lowest priced studio rent in Annapolis or the outlying areas.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So the latest good news for the Naval Academy. TAD ensigns have to be on BAH-II vice normal Annapolis BAH. Thats $530 vs. $1350. I can't even rent a basement in Annapolis for less than $800. This was also the case for last years class. The new thing is I checked with the Annapolis housing office today, and while they gave Ensigns with no dependents govt housing last year, this year housing has been restricted to families. This leaves all the mids going aviation trying to find places to live as cheaply as possible putting 3 or 4 people in 2 BR apartments... do we flip burgers for a living? On that note, maybe I will start flipping burgers at night till January when I finally get down to P-cola and get real BAH.

If you have a car then there are more reasonable places further out from Annapolis that are much more affordable. At least you are getting money. I was out close to a grand when I got to P'cola because our instructor screwed up and said we would get per diem after we graduated.

phrogpilot73

If you have a car then there are more reasonable places further out from Annapolis that are much more affordable. At least you are getting money. I was out close to a grand when I got to P'cola because our instructor screwed up and said we would get per diem after we graduated.
I agree - I lived in a total shithole when I was a 2ndLt TAD to USNA. It was in Crofton (which is now very pricey too), and we had 3 guys in a 2 bedroom. Check this place out - and it's in B'more - less of a drive to party:
http://www.rentnet.com/apartments/f...2&btyp=E&sid=874E454D85B84932B1A2F96CBCB80725

Notso07

None
Thanks guys, sorry, I know I'm venting here, sucks when the navy shorts you out of 6K, but I'm sure I'm not the first or the last. Ha closer to party, thats the last thing I'll need trying to live on a budget. I may wind up living with some of the guys doing grad school at UMD, long drive, but I might save enough to make it worthwhile.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This leaves all the mids going aviation trying to find places to live as cheaply as possible putting 3 or 4 people in 2 BR apartments... do we flip burgers for a living?

Sounds like a good question for someone's Congressman or State Senator?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
The intent of BAH is not to cover all of your housing expenses. I think around 80%.

This is incorrect. BAH is designed to cover 100% of the median housing expenses for a given grade in a given location. Key word, tricky phrase here is median. It is also important to remember that BAH rates are compiled using rental data...so in areas where home prices signifigantly outpace rental rates...a mortgage may not be covered.

Here is a good link. https://secureapp2.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bahfaq.html

As for the original poster, sorry the Navy decided to save money like they did...but sometimes thats how it goes. Believe me, there will be good deals in the future to make up for it...A-Pool comes to mind...and other bad deals down the pipe as well. This is how it works. Pool your resources...live together. At the very least you can share your misery!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Sounds like a good question for someone's Congressman or State Senator?

Yup yup, a friendly call and/or letter usually gets some attention, especially when you consider the BAH you guys are gonna be getting is almost half of what an E-1 makes. Plus, Annapolis ain't cheap, even if you don't go out and party during the week.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Make sure you pull out the Joint Federal Travel Regs and/or MILPERSMAN to make sure that you are getting what you are entitled. At times, the folks making the policies are not making them based on fact. If you think you are getting screwed, then verify it with the above documents.

Scoober linked the JFTR, but you can also get reference in the MILPERSMAN.

Rubiks06

pilot

1. Picking January was probably not a good idea especially since this has been going on since last year.
2. Be glad you arent ROTC they dont get paid till they report.
3. Yeah its a bad deal that your not going to be able to bank all of that cash for doing nothing.....as an old Commandant used to say....."We are a nation at war".

Notso07

None
I didn't "pick" January, I have to have surgery on my ear in Nov, and the folks down at API told me I couldn't come down till I have it done. Thanks to those of you who posted the publications, I will look through those before I go talk to the financial officer tomorrow. I'm just trying to investigate all the options now. It looks like living cheap and using my career starter loan to supplement until apool, and then continuing to live cheap in pcola to fill up my savings again is the only one.

hunter-gatherer

There's a woodpecker on your head Keanu
2. Be glad you arent ROTC they dont get paid till they report.

When I was stashed at an ROTC, back in the summer of 05 we were paid everything, but I don't know if this is still true.

Notso07

None
So got an email from the financial officer today, saying there was no way for me to get full BAH. Apparently the Voluntary Graduate Education people are going to get full BAH, they weren't supposed to get it until this week. I still can't find any publication of the actual BAH-II policy. Everything I find says BAH-II us for service-members in special situations, like foreign deployments coming back over seas and reserve component activated for less than a month. This HAS to be in writing somewhere.

snizo

Supply Officer
Notso07 ..... as a Supply Officer, my response to this would be "what instruction restricts my entitlement to BAH" ... and until they could answer, I would be raising a storm. BigIron is right - some policies come to be because PS3 said "I thought the pub said ____" and no one verified.

Sympathy from AW doesn't get you more money. Spend your time digging through the publications.