• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bad News for people applying for slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCSU_Navy

I nearly flipped when I started reading this thread, so I contacted my recruiter immediately. He told me no-one has lowered his goal for SNA's for OCS. Hope this helps some of you.

Kycntryboy

pilot
VetteMuscle427 said:
Well guys... I got my final selection... 30-July-2005 today... so the pro-rec'd guys should be fine....

Congrads Vette, I found out today that the guy finally signed my paper. I already swore in so I am in effective today. I find out the date on friday. I don't think the recruiters goals have been cut yet, it is just the number they are pro-rec'ing.

mbeaser

Thisguy said:
That's all well and good, but that sounds strictly for the surface community. I think Sub, Pilot and NFO JO jobs are safe, because they involve Nuclear Power School (guys with engineering degrees have a tough time there) and Flight School. Also, what kind of ships will the E8/E9 be the CO of? Probably the small boys that currently have a LCDR as the skipper and a LT as the XO.

My point is, the bulk of the applicants on this site are SNA and SNFO, so there shouldn't be cause for alarm.

The major effect for people on this board will be that with fewer surface jobs available there will be greater competition for the jobs available (OCS may be utilitized less because most billets can be filled from USNA and ROTC, or those slots may be lowered as well/instead). Really, though, most of it is speculation at this point. Speculation has gotten so bad that they've had to post notices all over the bupers website that an e-mail going around made to resemble a NAVADMIN that says promotions being frozen is a hoax/April Fools joke. That people could even have considered it was possible says something. With the RIF for JOs and PTS for the junior enlisted, it is obvious things are getting more selective (I can remember when they changed the policy on body fat and stopped kicking people out, of course, I also remember when the had TERA, the 15 year retirement thing because of that round of RIFs). My main point is still: You won't be accepted for anything you don't try for, and the Navy appreciates persistence. And, if you're looking as far out as '07 things could have done a 180 by then. You might not get BDCP in the meantime, but you might still get a pilot slot if you keep trying.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
E6286 said:
So ben, what do you think the situation is for those like myself and Neo who have already graduated college and have been pro rec'd. I submitted final docs 4 weeks ago and am anxiously awaiting and praying for good news. Just wondering if you knew anything regarding situations such as ours?

Considering we are pro rec'd most likely for FY '05, will the '04 BDCP people being pushed back affect our final selection?

Well with the two Final Selects that got posted earlier today, I think things are fine. They don't give you a pro-rec if they don't see you fitting in and have a spot to give you. At least that's the way my recruiter put it. You guys who have been pro-recd a good while ago and are just waiting should be hearing back soon. Maybe even today since two other guys heard. I went through a very similar experience when I applied. They (big Navy) had not estimated future need for officers yet, so they weren't taking anyone. Patience is hard, but it works. If you've been recommended then I think you are in the money. Unless of course you are a former crack dealer or terrorist - that may prove detrimental to your application.

It's like someone already posted, most of this mess is just speculation. It has been my experience that things work like that a lot. Rumors spread and people get scared... Trust your CO, which in your and my case is our recruiter. They will have the "official" word and know what to do.

Good luck, keep the questions coming if you have them.

And yes, you are likely in the FY2005. That includes all OCS classes that graduate after 1 October 2004. So yes, I would guess that the BDCP people getting pushed back can only help you. It is just my guess though, don't take it for more than it's worth.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
ben said:
You would think that the government would prefer to get the BDCP people through so we don't get paid for sitting around (not in school anymore, not in training yet either), but again, whatever... The fact is that they are making room in many OCS classes for non-BDCP applicants.

If this is in fact that case, here's the logic behind it. Better to pay the BDCP folks E-3 pay and allowance than to pay O-1 pay and allowance to a bunch of stash Ensigns who are waiting to get through the pipeline. I know, I know, why not roll the direct guys back, and let the BDCP guys through? Well, Direct candidates aren't going to sit idly by with no income (for the guys fresh out of college) for months on end. So the best solution to make room is to push BDCP guys back because I don't think any of those guys are gonna make any noise about collecting pay for doing nothing.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Regarding those of us who have been pro rec'd and are not BDCP, what could the hold up be? Is it a different board that handles regular accessions than the BDCP board? Also, how could BDCP people being pushed into FY 05 help those of us applying for then? Won't it in affect subtract from the available slots?

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thisguy said:
If this is in fact that case, here's the logic behind it. Better to pay the BDCP folks E-3 pay and allowance than to pay O-1 pay and allowance to a bunch of stash Ensigns who are waiting to get through the pipeline. I know, I know, why not roll the direct guys back, and let the BDCP guys through? Well, Direct candidates aren't going to sit idly by with no income (for the guys fresh out of college) for months on end. So the best solution to make room is to push BDCP guys back because I don't think any of those guys are gonna make any noise about collecting pay for doing nothing.

Well that certainly makes sense to me. And no, I won't complain if they push me back and I get paid E-5 to chill at home. Just more time to PT and memorize...

Thanks for the post, I was wondering why they would do that.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
ben said:
Well that certainly makes sense to me. And no, I won't complain if they push me back and I get paid E-5 to chill at home. Just more time to PT and memorize....

Yes... memorize... I guess I should start that now...

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nah don't worry about memorizing if you've got a long time till OCS. My date is in October and I haven't learned anything yet. Too much to focus on with school - I'll hit up the OCS stuff after I graduate. Then again, if you suck at remembering stuff (not saying you do) maybe starting now isn't a bad idea...

CLAM97to99

here is what my OSO told me: "I haven't heard anything about that for pilot. For Nukes, yes (they're closed for 2004 and 2005). For 2004 the pilot slots are all taken, but for when you graduate you'll be a 2005 assess, for which there are still a ton of slots open."

spr

I'd like to know who is making the the room in the OCS classes (Ben?) b/c I've requested to leave early for OCS but have been told that I am stuck with August. I am not BDCP and I graduated last May. Anything could help cause I'm not fortunate enough to chill and collect and that would be so nice.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure I understand the question. If you mean who is making the decision to move BDCP'ers back, that would likely be CNRC in Millington. I don't know, just a guess. I got my information from my recruiter, who actually has a few BDCP people who got their dates moved. I don't have any more information than that.

spr

ben said:
The fact is that they are making room in many OCS classes for non-BDCP applicants.
I was just hoping by your comment here that there was some way. But thats cool thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.