• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Bad News for people applying for slots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kycntryboy

pilot
I got done talking to my OSO on monday, and he's been calling down to see the status of my package, which is supposively on the final guy's lap. Anyway he was talking to some lady down in the office and she said that number of slots across the board has been cut, so basically what he told me, is that if your not pro-rec'd by now, your basically wasting your time applying. I would love for someone to prove me wrong on this, because I think that sucks for those applying, but that is the scuttlebutt floatin around. I made the point to ask if this was for just this year, and he said no, so this includes you '07 guys. This is why a few of you have been denied recently for no apparent reasons. You might want to talk to your OSO about it.

E6286

OCC 191 Select
Does this only apply to BDCP or also to regular accessions? What about those of us that have been pro rec'd and are awaiting final word, both BDCP and non BDCP such as myself and NeoCortex?

matt6599

BDCP SNA 2007
Is the number of slots cut for all communities and is it just for this fiscal year or is it a more long term thing?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hard to believe that things would dry up out to '07. Things change. Bad gouge abounds. Don't hold up on an application unless a recruiter gives you chapter and verse about what is happening and to whom. Then check back with him every couple weeks. As the Marines like to say...Max Gumby! (stay flexible)

zuggerat

damn it, how can this happen? right before i submit my application i gotta hear this junk?... not a confidence builder...not at all

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't fret guys... I went through a period of applications being "closed" when I applied. It sucked but I was persistent. Maintain close contact with your recruiter and have your package completed and ready to turn in. That way if they come back and say that they underestimated the need for new Ensigns, your application can be sent up to CNRC on the same day.

A word about BDCP vs. Direct Accession...
I spoke with my recruiter a week or two ago and got some good "straight from the horse's mouth" info. BDCP people with OCS dates in the late May/early June timeframe are getting rolled back. There's tons of people graduating in May and thus an influx of people headed towards OCS. You would think that this kind of thing is expected in advance, but whatever... The BDCP people are being rolled back so there will be room for the direct accession folks. This info is straight from my recruiter, who has a few candidates who got rolled. You would think that the government would prefer to get the BDCP people through so we don't get paid for sitting around (not in school anymore, not in training yet either), but again, whatever... The fact is that they are making room in many OCS classes for non-BDCP applicants.

You guys who are enduring the application process must try to be patient. Information like "they're cutting back till '07" can be false just as easily as it can be true. I'd say that your recruiter is always your best source of information. Yes, some recruiters are not very helpful, but I bet that most of them will do what they can for you. I know mine did. Again, just try to be patient (I know it's hard) and remember that things change all the time. Just because slots are being cut back today does not mean that things won't have changed by next week or next month. Expect the unexpected and make sure that you do your part. If your application is completed and your recruiter isn't waiting on you to finish something, sign something, ect., then it's out of your hands and nothing you can do will change your status. You have to just take what they give you and make the best of it. And like I said, things change all the time. Be ready to turn in your stuff at a moment's notice.

Good luck to all and please feel free to ask questions if there's anything I can clear up for you.

Ben

E6286

OCC 191 Select
So ben, what do you think the situation is for those like myself and Neo who have already graduated college and have been pro rec'd. I submitted final docs 4 weeks ago and am anxiously awaiting and praying for good news. Just wondering if you knew anything regarding situations such as ours?

Considering we are pro rec'd most likely for FY '05, will the '04 BDCP people being pushed back affect our final selection?

mbeaser

Okay, keep in mind that I'm just a lowly first class at a tiny base in the middle of nowhere. However, the Pres and VP of our first class association recently attended the washington area FCPOA conference where they were told "the way the Navy is going." Apparently, they've decided that since todays sailors are much more educated than they used to be (we've got an E-3 with a Masters here), officers have become much less necessary than they used to be. They are now sending Master Chiefs to Naval War College. The vision is that E8/E9 will be running ships (as in COs), and E6/E7 will take the place of JOs, widening the gap between E5 and E6. They (the 15 or so Master Chief's they had come talk to the conference) said this would all be in place by '10. Now, I'm swallowing that with a block of salt as well, but the reality is they ARE cutting JO billets, its in more than one NAVADMIN. It doesn't change the fact that you will never be selected for a job that you don't apply for. Competition is going to be high, and you may have to apply more than once. I'm a stellar sailor (made E6 in 6 years before they starting letting EPs test early, 99 ASVAB, 27 credits away from a bachelors, up for sailor of the quarter), but I've got a bad knee (boot camp injury that just won't go away) and I will more than likely be booted out before my contract ends in 4 years, never mind before I hit 20 (which is 11 years away). Now, if you are LIMDU, you're going to have your primary NEC be these new NECs that say you are LIMDU. The economy is recovering, but the job market really isn't, so people are staying in the Navy. When they don't want to get out, it is harder to get in. Apply, and apply again. The Navy does reward persistence. Good luck all, and remember that any program/vision could go the way of TQL.

Kycntryboy

pilot
E6286 said:
So ben, what do you think the situation is for those like myself and Neo who have already graduated college and have been pro rec'd. I submitted final docs 4 weeks ago and am anxiously awaiting and praying for good news. Just wondering if you knew anything regarding situations such as ours?

Considering we are pro rec'd most likely for FY '05, will the '04 BDCP people being pushed back affect our final selection?

My OSO told me that if you are pro-rec'd right now that you are fine, it is the people who have not been. They need less of everything right now, so, with my understanding, is that it is across the board all groups, until they come up with new goals. This doesn't just effect '04 it effects every year past it. Now this may be just BDCP, but I think, in general from what my OSO has been tellin' me is that there are to many officers in the Navy right now, so it probably effects those applying straight to OCS.

CLAM97to99

I am not surprised to hear this. I have a friend on the USS Abraham Lincoln and he said that they are doing major cut backs and nobody is getting promoted so a lot of people are getting out.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
CLAM97to99 said:
I am not surprised to hear this. I have a friend on the USS Abraham Lincoln and he said that they are doing major cut backs and nobody is getting promoted so a lot of people are getting out.

If this is the case and with a inproving economy, does this mean the slot draft is around the corner? I am one of those '07 guys, so I have a ways to go before I apply.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
mbeaser said:
They are now sending Master Chiefs to Naval War College. The vision is that E8/E9 will be running ships (as in COs), and E6/E7 will take the place of JOs, widening the gap between E5 and E6. They (the 15 or so Master Chief's they had come talk to the conference) said this would all be in place by '10. Now, I'm swallowing that with a block of salt as well, but the reality is they ARE cutting JO billets, its in more than one NAVADMIN

That's all well and good, but that sounds strictly for the surface community. I think Sub, Pilot and NFO JO jobs are safe, because they involve Nuclear Power School (guys with engineering degrees have a tough time there) and Flight School. Also, what kind of ships will the E8/E9 be the CO of? Probably the small boys that currently have a LCDR as the skipper and a LT as the XO.

My point is, the bulk of the applicants on this site are SNA and SNFO, so there shouldn't be cause for alarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.