• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Awards O sea stories

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
As I was leaving VT’s was told to write my EOT and give it to the XO. Since I was busy flying my ass off, I was a bit disgruntled at having to write my own EOT. Said “Fuck it” and did the 1650 and Citation for a NCM, because why not?

I’ll be damned if I didn’t leave there with a NCM!

I did the same thing at the FITU and wasn't even a high-hour guy because of my ground job. It's the only time I wrote my award, mostly because I wanted to see what would happen. Let them downgrade it, what did I care at that point?

BackOrdered

Contributor
well, what burned everyone is the command I was at people didn't get awards for just doing there jobs, often they didn't get awards for going above and beyond. If we put an award in and it just had typical job description it was returned, then the CS gets a NAM for just cooking.

I managed my share of CSs and I went to bat for the ones that went above and beyond and denied awards for ones who did not. One saved my career in accountability by going above and beyond and I still brag on writing that rapidly approved Spot NAM years later. Just because you are unable to discern a good CS from a sub-par one just doing their job, doesn't mean others can't.

exNavyOffRec

I managed my share of CSs and I went to bat for the ones that went above and beyond and denied awards for ones who did not. One saved my career in accountability by going above and beyond and I still brag on writing that rapidly approved Spot NAM years later. Just because you are unable to discern a good CS from a sub-par one just doing their job, doesn't mean others can't.

Of course, there will always be people in jobs that go above in different jobs, then there are people that get awards strictly due to the people they work for, but still an E-4 getting a NAM was way out of the norm, as well as the way it was handled, or course this is the same CO that did other things that were not quite above board.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Of course, there will always be people in jobs that go above in different jobs, then there are people that get awards strictly due to the people they work for, but still an E-4 getting a NAM was way out of the norm, as well as the way it was handled, or course this is the same CO that did other things that were not quite above board.

Cook and SH awards that I recall doing all involved me having to sell the Sailors at awards board. JUST doing your job as a cook would not get an EOT or deployment NAM. It was usually, your job plus you were an asset to the command in other areas and you were a leader to peers with documentation. I made it clear to SHC/CSC and my DLCPO not to set me up to waste time at awards board as the other DHs and XO were up to me to sell the Sailor to. The DHs and XO had no issue telling me my Sailor's award package was full of crap. If I felt strongly, that was where I earned my paycheck.

Honestly and this is to everyone, have you tried just, you know, not writing the award if you didn't think it was earned? I did it before, it feels great! The moon didn't fall.

I think the CO that demands you write an award when you got nothing to back it, not even your own convictions, is a myth. I haven't met this CO.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

Cook and SH awards that I recall doing all involved me having to sell the Sailors at awards board. JUST doing your job as a cook would not get an EOT or deployment NAM. It was usually, your job plus you were an asset to the command in other areas and you were a leader to peers with documentation. I made it clear to SHC/CSC and my DLCPO not to set me up to waste time at awards board as the other DHs and XO were up to me to sell the Sailor to. The DHs and XO had no issue telling me my Sailor's award package was full of crap. If I felt strongly, that was where I earned my paycheck.

Honestly and this is to everyone, have you tried just, you know, not writing the award if you didn't think it was earned? I did it before, it feels great! The moon didn't fall.

I think the CO that demands you write an award when you got nothing to back it, not even your own convictions, is a myth. I haven't met this CO.

I will send you a PM on this guy, he was interesting.

bryanteagle6

Im brand new to the navy and my NSIPS under awards says I have a - Armed Forces Reserve Med Off - I know I don't qualify for anything but what even is that?!

snake020

Contributor
Im brand new to the navy and my NSIPS under awards says I have a - Armed Forces Reserve Med Off - I know I don't qualify for anything but what even is that?!

Same here. I don't think it signifies the actual award, but rather the start date for the 10 years to qualify.

PatrolFighter

pilot
While I'm normally the last person to jump to the defense of the Supply department - what you're describing (getting a medal for doing your job) is 100% the norm. This is especially true for EOTs, but even for the 'spot'/end of deployment type of awards. A ship/sub, and her crew, is a composite weapons system. While it's easy to tease the CS's (and others) that aren't directly employing the platform, to me, it's equally as goofy to give STG2 a NAM for tracking a few subs (aka doing his job); but that's where our awards system is.

I have some cases to point out that we give awards to people for not doing their job correctly. Our Aircrew get routinely lower awards than the support personnel. It’s not an us versus them but it does stand out when the UPC coordinator is cited rather than a shit hot AW tracking due to National tasking. It’s odd to me that the YNC everybody hates leaves with a NCM and the Flight Surgeon gets the nod for a NCM when he literally almost killed a dude due to A mis diagnosis.

As I was leaving VT’s was told to write my EOT and give it to the XO. Since I was busy flying my ass off, I was a bit disgruntled at having to write my own EOT. Said “Fuck it” and did the 1650 and Citation for a NCM, because why not?

I’ll be damned if I didn’t leave there with a NCM!

Set the new standard and the high hour guys started being routed for NCM’s for EOT.

Lowered that bar nicely...

Gutsiest move I ever saw Mav.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
...and the Flight Surgeon gets the nod for a NCM when he literally almost killed a dude due to A mis diagnosis.

Flight Doc: "I'm pretty sure that's a sucking head wound...get my bloodletting leeches - STAT!"

Award O: "Skipper, I want you to know that I also noted that doc is a hell of a barber on his NCM paperwork!"

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flight Doc: "I'm pretty sure that's a sucking head wound...get my bloodletting leeches - STAT!"

Award O: "Skipper, I want you to know that I also noted that doc is a hell of a barber on his NCM paperwork!"
One of the Super JOs in my squadron got prescribed meds for pinkeye when it turned out he had a mildly abraded cornea. Whoops!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Here's a sea story; put some sailors in for a NAM for a "combat C" from a previous deployment in a legit combat zone. Determination was just a NAM because no one knew how to process the "combat C".

Still pretty irked about that one.