• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Awards O sea stories

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My old squadron (and later Brett’s) was established in 1997 with the name of one older VAQ unit and the designation of another. When I was Perso, I chopped every award that crossed my desk trumpeting “first carrier-based deployment in over 20 years.” Because, no, it was the unit’s first ever carrier-based deployment. We weren’t the old unit. Either of them.

So you can guess what verbiage showed up on my EOT award. Bastards. ?

exNavyOffRec

In summary, yes, the Army gives out BSMs like candy. Yet, at the same time they fail to award their soldiers that deserve recognition.
We had a CS who was the CO's cook get a NAM for basically cooking the CO's food for 6 months during deployment, maybe I should buy my wife a NAM every 6 months and in 4 sentences explain how well she has cooked in the past 6 months. LOL

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
We had a CS who was the CO's cook get a NAM for basically cooking the CO's food for 6 months during deployment, maybe I should buy my wife a NAM every 6 months and in 4 sentences explain how well she has cooked in the past 6 months. LOL
I had something here like..."A NAM just for doing her job?":D

azguy

None

While I'm normally the last person to jump to the defense of the Supply department - what you're describing (getting a medal for doing your job) is 100% the norm. This is especially true for EOTs, but even for the 'spot'/end of deployment type of awards. A ship/sub, and her crew, is a composite weapons system. While it's easy to tease the CS's (and others) that aren't directly employing the platform, to me, it's equally as goofy to give STG2 a NAM for tracking a few subs (aka doing his job); but that's where our awards system is.

BigRed389

None

“As the CO’s cook, CS3 played a vital role in ensuring the old man was not a giant pain in the ass to the rest of the crew over the course of a 6 month deployment. In demonstrating a thorough mastery of spices and food preparation to enliven otherwise bland standard Navy menu items, he ensured the old man did not turn into a raging intolerable son of a bitch. His sacrifice ensured his teammates did not have to fear a reign of tyranny while confined to a floating flammable metal box, and reflected great credit upon himself and the United States Navy.”

KTBQ

Naval Radiator
pilot
The award system (personal and especially unit) is the biggest and dumbest time suck for management out there. The amount of man hours that go into crafting bullshit “of the year” awards and routine NAMs that nobody cares about is absolutely staggering. Recommend torpedoing the whole thing for all non-valor related awards and giving COs the ability to hand out chili’s gift cards in varying amounts based on rank and time served.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The award system (personal and especially unit) is the biggest and dumbest time suck for management out there. The amount of man hours that go into crafting bullshit “of the year” awards and routine NAMs that nobody cares about is absolutely staggering. Recommend torpedoing the whole thing for all non-valor related awards and giving COs the ability to hand out chili’s gift cards in varying amounts based on rank and time served.
Some of them will get downgraded to Applebees.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
“As the CO’s cook, CS3 played a vital role in ensuring the old man was not a giant pain in the ass to the rest of the crew over the course of a 6 month deployment. In demonstrating a thorough mastery of spices and food preparation to enliven otherwise bland standard Navy menu items, he ensured the old man did not turn into a raging intolerable son of a bitch. His sacrifice ensured his teammates did not have to fear a reign of tyranny while confined to a floating flammable metal box, and reflected great credit upon himself and the United States Navy.”

Returned for edits. Underlined words are redundant. Also does not meet 7 1/2 line requirement. Utilize award template and correct font size/type.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
What about the strawberries?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Every lame/juicy/notable Awards O story I have involves some underperforming hinge making decisions for their own self preservation that result in other folks losing out as a result.

exNavyOffRec

While I'm normally the last person to jump to the defense of the Supply department - what you're describing (getting a medal for doing your job) is 100% the norm. This is especially true for EOTs, but even for the 'spot'/end of deployment type of awards. A ship/sub, and her crew, is a composite weapons system. While it's easy to tease the CS's (and others) that aren't directly employing the platform, to me, it's equally as goofy to give STG2 a NAM for tracking a few subs (aka doing his job); but that's where our awards system is.

well, what burned everyone is the command I was at people didn't get awards for just doing there jobs, often they didn't get awards for going above and beyond. If we put an award in and it just had typical job description it was returned, then the CS gets a NAM for just cooking.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
As I was leaving VT’s was told to write my EOT and give it to the XO. Since I was busy flying my ass off, I was a bit disgruntled at having to write my own EOT. Said “Fuck it” and did the 1650 and Citation for a NCM, because why not?

I’ll be damned if I didn’t leave there with a NCM!

Set the new standard and the high hour guys started being routed for NCM’s for EOT.

Lowered that bar nicely...