• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

AW laps itself again (C-130/F-16/A-10/CVN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
I love the "raked range" attack. It works awesome in the "no threat" environment, like Afghanistan (for the most part).

We didn't get it because it can't land on the boat.

It's an awesome plane from a different era. It works well today in the current threat level, but probably (and sadly) has no future.

I would argue that the C-130 can't land on a boat but I would be patently wrong.

Flying Toaster

None
It's an awesome plane from a different era. It works well today in the current threat level, but probably (and sadly) has no future.

I've heard this quite a bit before and am curious as to why exactly that would be?

Obviously it's an old plane, but it seems like they're throwing out the concept rather than the specific plane. Although they've billed the F-35 as a replacement for the A-10 (along with everything else) I can't imagine it would really fill that role. Is it even possible to be LO at CAS ranges, or is it just a question of getting there without getting shot down, and wouldn't that be inferring we didn't have control of the air? Without cuing pictures of drones, what would the 2025 version of an A-10 look like?

Seriously?

[url]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=C-130+carrier+landing[/URL]

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Seems like the A-10 would have been relatively easy to get onto a carrier with ample use of hinges for wings / tail section. Probably would have been a pain in the ass, but we had Tomcats and other big footed planes for a while.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
No one's talking about putting a plane onto a carrier. They're talking about LANDING it on a carrier. Big difference when you throw Optimum AoA, hook points, waveoff capability in close... oh, by the way, the thing will have to be able to physically take it.
220px-GAU-8_in_A-10.jpg

A-10
Fa-18f-03.jpg

F-18

See the difference? Not to mention the stress of a trap again and again and again... I think you get the point.

And for the record we still have "big footed" birds on the deck with wingspans about 20' more then the Tomcat.

e2c_1.jpg

yodaears

pilot
I've heard this quite a bit before and am curious as to why exactly that would be?

Obviously it's an old plane, but it seems like they're throwing out the concept rather than the specific plane. Although they've billed the F-35 as a replacement for the A-10 (along with everything else) I can't imagine it would really fill that role. Is it even possible to be LO at CAS ranges, or is it just a question of getting there without getting shot down, and wouldn't that be inferring we didn't have control of the air? Without cuing pictures of drones, what would the 2025 version of an A-10 look like?

[url]http://lmgtfy.com/?q=C-130+carrier+landing[/URL]

I love the A-10. I would jump at a chance to go fly one. But Harrier Dude is right, it's an aircraft with no future. There is a such thing as prohibitive interference when it comes to a threat environment and those threat systems that represent such interference are not just concepts on some drawing board but are actually operational. Someday we may find ourselves in a fight where control of the air IS in question and an aircraft that does 250 knots-ish on a good day with very little, shall we say modern gucci shit?, does us no good, regardless of it's bad ass capabilities in a permissive environment. I don't think there will be a "2025 version" of the A-10, it really was a unique jet and one that has served us extremely well. But one that may have been suited to an era that has passed us by. The idea is that a jet with the ability to operate in environments that might be considered less than ideal will do the job in conflicts that are OEF-esque.

BTW, I feel the same way about my personal beast but god knows she sure is fun to fly. Maybe I'm completely off base though. Who knows.

MasterBates

And for the record we still have "big footed" birds on the deck with wingspans about 20' more then the Tomcat.

e2c_1.jpg

I still love it when the Handler FREAKS OUT about more than 3 "big wings" on the roof including the CODs at once. On the Ike.

I remember the JFK, we had E-2s, CODs, Tomcats, Hoovs AND Prowlers. The only small planes were the bugz. And it was a smaller deck, yet we somehow made that work.

MasterBates

On a related note, IKEs handler is going to shit himself Friday. 6 E-2s plus some CODs and maybe a Rhino or five.

I don't know what they are going to do when we start bringing 5 E-2Ds on cruise.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
No one's talking about putting a plane onto a carrier. They're talking about LANDING it on a carrier. Big difference when you throw Optimum AoA, hook points, waveoff capability in close... oh, by the way, the thing will have to be able to physically take it.

No doubt... But had the Marines wanted it many moons ago Im sure a plane that stout could have been reworked to include carrier capable landing gear. The concept for the F-18 wasnt a carrier based a/c after all.

All rhetoric now of course as the plane ends its life, I was just saying that it probably could have been done once upon a time.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
The Viper was in fact considered for carrier use.....wish I could find the notes from the flag level testimony/debate given against it and in favor of the YF-18A. Single engine, no BVR (at the time), difficult geometry wrt the tailpipe, etc. Obviously that and the rest is history

Status
Not open for further replies.