• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviator progression in the Navy

NCHopeful

I've always been really excited about some of the schools available in the Navy, both the degree and non-degree granting ones, and especially for some of the people working in Aviation in particular. Assuming one was at least sort of on the "golden path" at the start, when would an individual branch off and do things like WTI School, Strike School, SFTI school, Test Pilot School, or go to the Navy Postgraduate School and earn a master's degree?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
WTI school = 1st, second, or 3rd tour (this last one is rare)
TPS = 2nd or 3rd tour (again, rarer choice for 3rd tour, but it happens; usually as more of an abbreviated 2nd tour into third tour)
NPS = 2nd or higher tour (although smart kids who want a masters more than wings can scam this before even hitting flight school)

RadicalDude

Social Justice Warlord
I've always been really excited about some of the schools available in the Navy, both the degree and non-degree granting ones, and especially for some of the people working in Aviation in particular. Assuming one was at least sort of on the "golden path" at the start, when would an individual branch off and do things like WTI School, Strike School, SFTI school, Test Pilot School, or go to the Navy Postgraduate School and earn a master's degree?

VFA Perspective:

TOPGUN-> After your first JO sea tour. You'll receive follow-on orders to either a fleet weapons school (SFWSP/SFWSL), an FRS as a SFTI (VFA-106 or VFA-122,) or to TOPGUN itself as an instructor. These jobs could all be considered desirable for career-minded folks and "on the path."

TPS-> After your first JO sea tour. Not too sure about the different pathways here. I know there's op test and developmental test. Most guys I know who went for/are going for TPS wanted op test. Again, this will keep you in the cockpit, so not a career killer.

NPS-> This is built in to out career pipeline as an option post-DH. I know folks who went sooner, but it'll likely end their flying career.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
Pat/Ryan,
Take comfort in the fact that you're well ahead of many wannabes simply because you don't write like a teenager texting on the freeway. Now, like others have said, get back to your studies and don't worry about distant career decisions. 50,000 things will change about your life and how it fits with the Navy between now and then.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Sorry for the revival/threadjack, but I didn't really want to start a new thread for this, tangentially related topic. I browse the website reddit.com sometimes, and they have a few subsections dedicated to flying and aviation in general. Well, there was a post of a dude wearing a flightsuit and nfo wings, even though he did not earn them. One user, growlerpilot, took offense to this, and it sparked a debate on the post on what was appropriate. I was wondering how those of us who are winged felt about it. Do you agree with growlerpilot or not? For reference, see the link below, and you'll have to scroll all the way down the page to see growlerpilot's posts and expand them, since it seems his opinion was unpopular.

http://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments/1hscq5/dress_for_the_job_you_want_not_the_job_you_have/

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
The NFO wings are what the debate is over...? Screw that! I want to know where to get one of those sweet ass helmets....

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
It was obviously not a serious attempt at impersonating an actual NFO. Really couldn't care less.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was obviously not a serious attempt at impersonating an actual NFO. Really couldn't care less.

Probably true, we NFOs still haven't gotten around to burning Buck Rogers at the stake for bringing shame upon our household:

gilgerard_1.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He got Wilma/Erin Gray, didn't he? You can't be THAT upset at him.

True, but that counterbalanced by those annoying little robots. And with SAPR I don't think we will be seeing these types of uniforms again anytime soon.......

tumblr_luzm0esVjC1r6jggao1_500.jpg

a06.JPG

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I remember her being...bustier. Guess it was all relative as a 10 year-old (or whatever I was). And the robots? Come on, it was William Daniels (of KITT fame) and Mel Blanc. If you hate Bugs Bunny, you hate America.

FUN FACT: Wilma's uniform is only slightly more flammable than NWUs.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
The guy on the left is obviously a graduate of Task Force Uniform...
hawk1.jpg

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I refuse to acknowledge any episode of the second season, and that includes your "Hawk Man." Also things to loathe about the second season (again, if I were to acknowledge it): Mel Blanc left the show and that annoying tall robot thing.