• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviator progression in the Navy

60dude

I would testify that being a warrant officer aviator in the army is miles ahead of being a RLO, in terms of being a pilot. The other branches probably fit right in the middle of the spectrum which is still better than being a platoon leader or a staffer. That's just my opinion.

banana380

pilot
Lets dig up an old thread again. If possible (however unlikely on AW), can anyone give a concise rundown of what can reasonably be expected regarding career progression in the HSC expeditionary community?

I am currently a 2P trying to consider options beyond my current tour, to include such things as location and viability for staying 20+ and/or making command, vice going reserves and possibly flying more (i.e. HT's). I know that ideally I would go FRS or weapons school, then HT's, then VT's or any other production job. Outside of production I haven't heard that much conversation but I've heard it can also be viable for a career, i.e. station SAR.

Ideally I'd like to stay east coast but farther south than Norfolk, which basically means Florida. What are some cool options among the experiences here, and would you recommend them. Currently I'm leaning toward putting HT's first for my 1st shore tour. Anything beyond the 1st tour is fuzzy and gray and a later question I will ask of this thread :rolleyes:. Thanks!

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Honestly just chatting with your peers and super-JOs/SWTIs would be a great way to go. That's where I've heard the vast majority of (apparently) accurate career gouge. Also, our detailer just turned over but the last one was a good person to chat with about options.

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
The NFO wings are what the debate is over...? Screw that! I want to know where to get one of those sweet ass helmets....

here's a good looking ass helmet for you.
Ass-Helmet.jpg

Pags

N/A
pilot
Lets dig up an old thread again. If possible (however unlikely on AW), can anyone give a concise rundown of what can reasonably be expected regarding career progression in the HSC expeditionary community?

I am currently a 2P trying to consider options beyond my current tour, to include such things as location and viability for staying 20+ and/or making command, vice going reserves and possibly flying more (i.e. HT's). I know that ideally I would go FRS or weapons school, then HT's, then VT's or any other production job. Outside of production I haven't heard that much conversation but I've heard it can also be viable for a career, i.e. station SAR.

Ideally I'd like to stay east coast but farther south than Norfolk, which basically means Florida. What are some cool options among the experiences here, and would you recommend them. Currently I'm leaning toward putting HT's first for my 1st shore tour. Anything beyond the 1st tour is fuzzy and gray and a later question I will ask of this thread :rolleyes:. Thanks!
Check out PERS' RW community brief, it Will give you what the community/pers currently values. Above everything else, you need to work to ensure that you leave your first and all future commands with a competive EP.

That said, you're kind of all over the map. You need to prioritize your career choices between competitive/longevity and cool and future plans. While there are plenty of anecdotes to support otherwise, the lions share of the data indicates that if you want to go command and or stay in for 20 then you need to remain competitive within your community which means FRS or SWTI above the other choices. These are the traditional highly competitive slots that future DHs and COs are going to be picked from.

The past two years the O4 select rate has been low. Not having a competitive EP is going to make it harder to make O4. Having a non-production tour will make it harder to make O4. Not making O4 will preclude you from doing 20 in the active navy.

If your interests are more varied, just be warned that selecting a different career path such as Station SAR, Test, or even HTs and VTs if the year is rough, may have ramifications on your career. It doesn't mean that they're not good jobs with benefits, but it comes down to what YOU want to do. Want to stay active for 20? FRS or SWTI. Want a ton of hours for the civilian world? Go HTs or VTs. Want to fly helos in some cool places with a high likelihood of tubing your career? Go station SAR.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Check out PERS' RW community brief, it Will give you what the community/pers currently values. Above everything else, you need to work to ensure that you leave your first and all future commands with a competive EP.

That said, you're kind of all over the map. You need to prioritize your career choices between competitive/longevity and cool and future plans. While there are plenty of anecdotes to support otherwise, the lions share of the data indicates that if you want to go command and or stay in for 20 then you need to remain competitive within your community which means FRS or SWTI above the other choices. These are the traditional highly competitive slots that future DHs and COs are going to be picked from.

The past two years the O4 select rate has been low. Not having a competitive EP is going to make it harder to make O4. Having a non-production tour will make it harder to make O4. Not making O4 will preclude you from doing 20 in the active navy.

If your interests are more varied, just be warned that selecting a different career path such as Station SAR, Test, or even HTs and VTs if the year is rough, may have ramifications on your career. It doesn't mean that they're not good jobs with benefits, but it comes down to what YOU want to do. Want to stay active for 20? FRS or SWTI. Want a ton of hours for the civilian world? Go HTs or VTs. Want to fly helos in some cool places with a high likelihood of tubing your career? Go station SAR.
This advice, while specific to helo folks, is germane to all communities.
1: 1st Tour - COMPETITIVE EP
2: 2nd Tour - STAY FLYING: FRS/WTI/Production

Pags

N/A
pilot
...and if you can make your DH tour fini flight look something like this: VR 1350-55, land, hot pump, VR1350-55 again. You win...

I won today.
Congrats. I don't know what the VRs are, but since you're at whidbey, I'm sure they're lovely.

NWC or joint next?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Low levels. 1355 is called the Million Dollar Route for good reason. I'm just a new guy but if I can't think of a better final flight.