• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Uniforms and Customs for the new ENS

jointhelocalizer

pilot
As a I mid I always wore the reefer. Love that coat. It's not being issued to new classes anymore?
I think ‘21 was the last class issued it. No idea why they stopped. Personally didn’t mind the look and it came in clutch for YP labs in the colder months when you got voluntold to be a bearing taker. However, I think I only wore it a few times. I think the relative convenience of the Ike is why most people who still have the the reefer chose not to wear it.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
That stinks. I suspect it's partially because it has fallen out of use of the operational Navy too. I've probably worn it twice since commissioning and both times were before I had the leather jacket.

It's overall a nice jacket. Early December to probably early March that was my go to coat more so than the Ike.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
That stinks. I suspect it's partially because it has fallen out of use of the operational Navy too. I've probably worn it twice since commissioning and both times were before I had the leather jacket.

It's overall a nice jacket. Early December to probably early March that was my go to coat more so than the Ike.
If memory serves me correctly, it’s not authorized for dress uniforms. It soundly look bad with SDBs. However, I feel that would never happen due to the O Coat.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So I got bored and looked at the uniform regs on the reefer since I was curious. Somehow this led me to finding out that the old single-breasted all-weather coat is verboten after this fall.

So now I realize I have to buy something if I'm ever in a situation where I need to be warm in my SDBs. F. I guess it's only money . . .
If memory serves me correctly, it’s not authorized for dress uniforms. It soundly look bad with SDBs. However, I feel that would never happen due to the O Coat.
The point is that aviators don't swap their SDB jacket out with an Ike. They swap it out with a leather, regs be damned. You'll occasionally hear this referred to as Service Dress Aviator. Of course, if you have your jacket on and still need something over it because it's cold as balls, then the reefer, bridge coat, or (apparently now only double-breasted) all-weather coat comes into play.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
You mean the IKE right? I remember wearing the Reefer with SDBs and frankly still would (that's allowed right? Not going to look it up on boat internet...), although I know for sure that I have only worn SDBs 3 times in the past 5 years and all three were in warm weather.

RandomGoat1248

You mean the IKE right? I remember wearing the Reefer with SDBs and frankly still would (that's allowed right? Not going to look it up on boat internet...), although I know for sure that I have only worn SDBs 3 times in the past 5 years and all three were in warm weather.

I remember that it was commonly said you couldn't wear it in SDBs, but if you actually looked in the MIDREGS it was allowed. No idea where that rumor came from.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I think ‘21 was the last class issued it. No idea why they stopped. Personally didn’t mind the look and it came in clutch for YP labs in the colder months when you got voluntold to be a bearing taker. However, I think I only wore it a few times. I think the relative convenience of the Ike is why most people who still have the the reefer chose not to wear it.

If the scuttlebutt is true, somebody in DC has it in for the peacoat, so Big Navy is doing its level best to replace it. Most likely with this monstrosity: https://www.mynavyexchange.com/navy-cold-weather-black-parka/12840532

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Of course, if you have your jacket on and still need something over it because it's cold as balls, then the reefer, bridge coat, or (apparently now only double-breasted) all-weather coat comes into play.
Or this: https://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-...ulations/uniformcomponents/Pages/3501_83.aspx
If the scuttlebutt is true, somebody in DC has it in for the peacoat, so Big Navy is doing its level best to replace it. Most likely with this monstrosity: https://www.mynavyexchange.com/navy-cold-weather-black-parka/12840532
That looks terrible. Even the SWO jacket is better. Or keep the peacoat.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When the Navy went with NSUs I honestly don't know why they didn't go with the USNA route. Keep johnny cashs, but add a short sleeve option for summer. Looks naval and all that shit, and the only extra thing the Es would have had to buy would be the short sleeve shirt with the plus side of canning the working whites. Instead our Es basically look like fat Marines.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
I meant the Reefer, but I since looked it up and it’s authorized. Probably got that assumption from the fact that O Coats and the AWC were both prescribed with SDBs at certain points, but never the Reefer. My apologies.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When the Navy went with NSUs I honestly don't know why they didn't go with the USNA route. Keep johnny cashs, but add a short sleeve option for summer. Looks naval and all that shit, and the only extra thing the Es would have had to buy would be the short sleeve shirt with the plus side of canning the working whites. Instead our Es basically look like fat Marines.
Take that logic and common sense you're using, and don't let it get anywhere near Task Force Uniform. It might make their heads explode, and then someone would have to clean up the mess.