• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Uniforms and Customs for the new ENS

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Looking sharp gents
You’re pretty crafty...so...can you put HELNONMONKSPANKRON patches over the Blue Angels patches?

Pictured below is a HELNONMONKSPANKRON patch on my G-1...if able, please utilize the HELNONMONKSPANKRON patch pictured below to update your previously posted craftiness...

Birdbrain

pilot
from an Intermediate/Advanced student's perspective:

When I was at A-pool/API in 2018 you checked in with Summer Whites or SDBs depending on the season like normal, after which you wore Khakis. The Ikes were worn by most people in cold weather. Some wore dips in covers and some didn't. Brown shoes were mandatory, but some people got reprimanded for wearing non-Bates make. Some people wore SWOters too, but the only gal I remember clearly that wore one was attrited and is likely a shoe now (Dress like a SWO...). I wore the All Weather Coat once because it was raining cats and dogs. I stood out like a sore thumb and now it's buried at the bottom of one of my seabags next to my issued black boots. Combo cover was reserved for dress uniforms. Only attrites and DORs wore NWUs.

At Primary Pool in 2019 you mustered in Flight Suits except for every last Friday of the month which was in Khakis. Nobody really wore the cover dip there. Green flight suits were the only ones authorized but I hear that's changed under new management. VT SDO watchstanders were officially supposed to wear Khakis during the week and could wear either Khakis or NWUs on the weekend. Most people just wore NWUs regardless. Some people started wearing brown flight boots with NWUs around this time too but I don't know if that is in regs or not. A buddy of mine checked out in a SWOter and he was summarily told to "never wear that thing again". Once again attrites and DORs at the Wing wore NWUs.

At Advanced it seems like it's Flight Suits for everything unless you're checking in/out or being punished for being dumb, in which case you show up in Khakis.
'
Generally,
  • Shine your shoes. It makes you stand out in a good way.
  • Zip your zippers and don't wear anything funkier on your shoulder than a college patch. If it's cold wear your Nomex. No ballcaps.
  • Mustaches are shady...I got yelled at for one in API but here it seems like a CQ tradition.
  • Nobody without wings wears the G-1. It was verboten by unwritten regs or consensus I guess.
  • EDIT: Some places don't like you wearing the Nomex Fleece even if it's what you were issued. Ask around.
I prefer to be Mr. Pags' "grey man student" and not give anybody unnecessary rope to hang myself with.

Last edited:

Meyerkord

pilot
I wore the All Weather Coat once because it was raining cats and dogs. I stood out like a sore thumb and now it's buried at the bottom of one of my seabags next to my issued black boots.
I definitely did this on more than one occasion and would do it again in a heartbeat. Wet khakis smell like soggy dog food and it’s not comfortable

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brown shoes were mandatory, but some people got reprimanded for wearing non-Bates make.
?‍♂️?‍♂️ Why do some instructors have to be stupid? The regs specify Oxfords, not shitty Oxfords made by Bates.
Mustaches are shady...I got yelled at for one in API but here it seems like a CQ tradition.
Welcome to the proud tradition of the sketchy boat 'stache. :D
Nobody without wings wears the G-1. It was verboten by unwritten regs or consensus I guess.
EDIT: Some places don't like you wearing the Nomex Fleece even if it's what you were issued. Ask around.
I reiterate what's been said elsewhere in the thread. If you (collective studentry) are afraid wearing a jacket is going to cause you to attrite, study harder. And if your instructors are giving you a hard time for wearing gear you've been issued, they're being assholes. Not much you can do about that, granted, but they're still being assholes.

Birdbrain

pilot
I definitely did this on more than one occasion and would do it again in a heartbeat. Wet khakis smell like soggy dog food and it’s not comfortable
Wet Khaki is distinctive! Definitely gives me flashbacks to OCS.

I reiterate what's been said elsewhere in the thread. If you (collective studentry) are afraid wearing a jacket is going to cause you to attrite, study harder. And if your instructors are giving you a hard time for wearing gear you've been issued, they're being assholes. Not much you can do about that, granted, but they're still being assholes.
I don't see the jacket as a bad juju thing, to me it's more like the prize at the end of a very long and very hard box of cereal.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
I don't see the jacket as a bad juju thing, to me it's more like the prize at the end of a very long and very hard box of cereal.

I've worn mine maybe a dozen or so times in the colder months of primary, that issued summer weight nomex is trash. Only IP who made a comment of it is also the guy whose always good for snarky remarks towards studs for anything, by extension meaning nothing by them. Only people who kept up this "don't wear the leather jacket BS" were students who never can recall where they heard it from. Funny enough I got the crap Sir'ed out of me when I did wear.

Not trying to rage against you, I just think its an assumed danger and in reality little more than an illusion. Everything else checks out.

I also really don't like being cold.

RandomGoat1248

from an Intermediate/Advanced student's perspective:

When I was at A-pool/API in 2018 you checked in with Summer Whites or SDBs depending on the season like normal, after which you wore Khakis. The Ikes were worn by most people in cold weather. Some wore dips in covers and some didn't. Brown shoes were mandatory, but some people got reprimanded for wearing non-Bates make. Some people wore SWOters too, but the only gal I remember clearly that wore one was attrited and is likely a shoe now (Dress like a SWO...). I wore the All Weather Coat once because it was raining cats and dogs. I stood out like a sore thumb and now it's buried at the bottom of one of my seabags next to my issued black boots. Combo cover was reserved for dress uniforms. Only attrites and DORs wore NWUs.

At Primary Pool in 2019 you mustered in Flight Suits except for every last Friday of the month which was in Khakis. Nobody really wore the cover dip there. Green flight suits were the only ones authorized but I hear that's changed under new management. VT SDO watchstanders were officially supposed to wear Khakis during the week and could wear either Khakis or NWUs on the weekend. Most people just wore NWUs regardless. Some people started wearing brown flight boots with NWUs around this time too but I don't know if that is in regs or not. A buddy of mine checked out in a SWOter and he was summarily told to "never wear that thing again". Once again attrites and DORs at the Wing wore NWUs.

At Advanced it seems like it's Flight Suits for everything unless you're checking in/out or being punished for being dumb, in which case you show up in Khakis.
'
Generally,
  • Shine your shoes. It makes you stand out in a good way.
  • Zip your zippers and don't wear anything funkier on your shoulder than a college patch. If it's cold wear your Nomex. No ballcaps.
  • Mustaches are shady...I got yelled at for one in API but here it seems like a CQ tradition.
  • Nobody without wings wears the G-1. It was verboten by unwritten regs or consensus I guess.
  • EDIT: Some places don't like you wearing the Nomex Fleece even if it's what you were issued. Ask around.
I prefer to be Mr. Pags' "grey man student" and not give anybody unnecessary rope to hang myself with.
?‍♂️?‍♂️ Why do some instructors have to be stupid? The regs specify Oxfords, not shitty Oxfords made by Bates.

Welcome to the proud tradition of the sketchy boat 'stache. :D

To be fair to the instructors, the BS about uniforms in a-pool and API comes from the civilian admin staff.

I haven't had a lot of chances to wear the leather jacket just because it hasn't really gotten cold enough.... but they can take my fuzzy vest from my cold dead heads.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
As an instructor, I just think the G1 looks dumb with no patches or a name tag. I'm pretty sure that you're supposed to have a name tag per the regs but I'm not smart on shit like that. And no one wants to ruin it with a name tag prior to getting wings.

By all means, please wear it.

However, the sleeveless fleece is gonna get ya made fun of everytime. That thing is an abomination and has no place in carrier aviation.

By all means, wear that too. I like to laugh.

Last edited:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To be fair to the instructors, the BS about uniforms in a-pool and API comes from the civilian admin staff.
Why are the instructors and leadership allowing civilian admin staff to do that, then? We shouldn't expect civilians to supervise JOs.