• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Cruise Experiences 2006

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Ask when you get there...

Just because a squadron may have a policy allowing a camera on a flight... the pilot may not want you bringing one (by being a MIDN, you are by default a FOD and safety hazard :) )

Most guys should be cool with it... just ask.

cool, just wanted to see if it was worth it to bring my vid. camera w/ me to CA

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
cool, just wanted to see if it was worth it to bring my vid. camera w/ me to CA

Definitely bring it. Even if they don't let you take it in the jet, you could go out to the LSO shack and video tape jets bouncing

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
you could go out to the LSO shack and video tape jets bouncing

While us middies were waiting to watch the flying eagles practice some night FCLP's I ask the LSO if I can take video of the bounces, he asks "can you make sure the light doesn't go off," I say "sure, I did this last year, I'm a pro at it" his reply, was "if the light goes of I will take your fvckin camera and throw it away." So I double checked all the settings and made sure I was ready to go.

Flash forward 45 minutes, night vision has adjusted, having a blast watching the class who's motto was "Quality Spread," and in the middle of watching a dragon land on the deck and then fly away, all of a sudden this blinding light shatters my world. My brain is in a hailstorm. "How the FVCK did this happen, the light switch is off, the camera is in night mode, WTF" I fumble around with the phone/camera and look at the flash, which is off, which doesnt make sense, there is light, but its not coming from my phone. Thats when I look over my shoulder behind me to the two midshipmen who were standing so as not to get in the way of my amature video, and see that the intense blinding light which had been the bane of my existence was NOT MY FAULT! It came from a midshipman who was not assigned to my squadron, but to VFA-125 but that we had invited out of courtesy. He had recieved a cell phone call at o'dark thirty, and the LED's on his phone lit up the night like that first hour in Baghdad 15 years ago.

Although I had analyzed the situation and determined its source in about 2 and quarter seconds, the LSO didn't have that luxury, In his mind there was only one cause of the hazard that could kill one or more of the studs already inches away from death, precariously floating around in the night, and that was me. Cursing and screaming at me split seconds after I had aquitted myself of all charges, I found myself in a situation that looked... pretty bad. After affirming my innocence, I in my infinite wisdom just thought to myself "stupid middy" and continued filming as though nothing had happened. So when he stepped out of the shack and saw me acting in what seemed like mocked defiance he couldn't have been more pi$$ed.

I tried to tell him. I tried to yell, over the ear plugs, and the cranials, and the headphones, and the engines with thier combined 44,000lbs of thrust, and over his anger spooled to military power, and explain in the few seconds that I had available that it wasn't me. I tried to point at the true offender, but ended up pointing at air. I knew I wouldn't win so when he said "*string of expletives deleted* put that [phone] in the car," I did. I double checked with the midshipman that did not slink away to make sure that my phone wasn't the culprit, got the confirmation that I needed and sadly tossed my phone/camera into the suv and went back to the dazzling spectacle that seemed slightly dimmed.

An eternity rounded to 45 minutes later, there was a pause in the bounces, and our LSO slowly took off his headphones, and earplugs, and calmly asked what went wrong. I deliberately paused before giving my answer fully expecting the offending midshipman to sound off, and was rewarded by testimony vindicating me of all charges.The LSO's verdict "you can go get your camera back." The blow off valve working, I joyfully went back to documenting the landings, thankfull no one died, and that I kept my word.

Later that night I was introduced to Spooners and got to meet some real American heroes. Moral of the story, I used to wonder why the fleet hated middies, now I fvckin hate middies.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
^^ I guess this thread is now a forum for Midshipmen to show us their examples of bad and overly dramatized writing. ;)

Brett

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Later that night I was introduced to Spooners and got to meet some real American heroes. Moral of the story, I used to wonder why the fleet hated middies, now I fvckin hate middies.

haha....traitor :p

just keep in mind what happened the last time someone said that
20051008WP_jet_450.jpg

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Lemoore sucks ass..........San Dog owns all :icon_zbee Take one walk down PB during the summer and you guys will know exactly what I'm talking about.

concur w/ both points 100%.......Lemoore is a total craphole....Ops side is interesting, but any time outside of the squadron has been painfully slow. Wed night at the O-club was a lot of fun, but other than that, life after work has been like pulling teeth, especially since the AC in the BOQ was out of comission for a couple of days when we first arrived. Spent this morning/early afternoon at various bars on PB (in SD) and that was great....definitely a nice change of pace from the valley

It sounds like last phase was a little bit luckier than us flight-time wise, but maybe the heat is just making me antsy. We'll see how the next 3 weeks pan out.....first flight is next week so I am :D excited as hell

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Good luck on the flight! I'll be back in Lemoore on the 5th, so I hope to see you there!

The secret to not puking is hydration!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Good luck on the flight! I'll be back in Lemoore on the 5th, so I hope to see you there!

The secret to not puking is hydration!

yeah, I'm not too worried about that....nobody has yakked so far and I've already done some aerobatic flying (non-military) so I think it will go all right......more antsy to finally get up than anything....sick of hearing everyone else talking about it and not having my own flight ;)

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
Really, the guys I was with were hilarious, pukin' in the DAWG, pukin' on FAMS, pukin at Vido's (oh wait that was me). I was the only one who didn't puke (at 122).

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
yeah, little rumors about people puking have started to emerge. Still haven't felt sick but I am always careful to hydrate before flying and I have been watching what I eat before going up. And I take back any derogatory remarks about Lemoore that I may have made earlier......the 4 flights I have been lucky enough to go on have more than made up for all the sitting around that you do. Taking the controls in the T-bird was one of the coolest experiences that I have ever had (if not the coolest).....getting to do aileron rolls, putting some serious G's on the aircraft while chasing our lead, and getting to fly about 10 minutes of form as dash-2 in our section while heading back home.....words cannot describe it.....coolest day ever. I will write a more complete post when I get back, but all I can say is that it has been awesome. Also, I have taped around 2.5 hrs of video from my flights (and most likely will add a bit more next week) so I plan on sharing some edited cuts when I get a chance to work on them after cruise.

Shakey

I'm talkin, G-5...!
pilot
How do you guys manage to get these aviation cruises, let alone with a VFA squadron? God I can't wait to get in one of those Rhinos. Soon, I'll get there...