• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Aviation Cruise Experiences 2006

Nomar116

pilot
Hey guys.

I thought I'd start this thread to just give everyone that has taken an Aviation Cruise this summer a chance to share what they've done. Try to keep the thread on topic and it'll make a great reference for Midies next year.

Right now I'm at NAS Lemoore with the Tophatters, VFA-14 (F/18-E). I'll post the rest of my experience at the end of the cruise but it definately has its ups and downs. Watch your luggage at both LAX and Fresno, they lost my seabag. Otherwise the pilots in all the squadrons seem uniformly "awesome" and willing to show us the best time they can. Its hot as hell and so a car or rental on weekends is essential (and bring lots of movies/books). We have private BOQ rooms.

Everyone seems guaranteed one flight and beyond that it seems to be a crap shoot as to what squadron you get assigned to, how many other Mids there are, and just luck (right place, right time). But who can complain as long as your gonna get up right!?

MasterBates

Dumb question-

Do single seat VFA squadrons have a 2 seater for NATOPS checks?

-Helo Guy with 2 sets of controls.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, we actually started doing our Instrument checks in the Blackhawk sim over at Wheeler AAF to save gas money for the 1400 other tactical flights guys needed.

Why do I mention this? For those of you mids that made it/are going to -37, you might get some time in the Blackhawk sim, which is really nice.

MasterBates

I wish it was sim-only. We get graded on some manuvers that we just plain do not do (And I'm talking non-ep ones, not BOOST-OFF or Running landings), and a lot of the "support" pilots (Read as if it is day and I am flying, it is FCF or Logistics, otherwise I see the world in shades of green) do not do so well on the flight as we should due to lack of DayFam or hours for it. Or the guys who just came back from the boat, for the same reasons.

Nomar116

pilot
Well...to put this slightly back on topic:

I am stationed with 14 but flying with 122. In fact, I'll get my first flight on Monday and then go up in the T-34 on Wednesday. The flight I'm going up in is a F/T meaning its a two seater with a stick in the back.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Good Luck with the FT. Just remember pull back as hard as you can and scream yeee hawwwww. The guy up front will love it.