• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automobile to Newport?

AirNe

I was curious what everyone's thoughts were with regards to driving a vehicle to Newport? What are the pro's and con's? I've been thinking about it lately, and is there something you could bring to my attention that I haven't thought of yet?

If you drove your vehicle there, are you glad you did? If you didn't, do you wish you had?

I'm waiting to here if I get selected, but it wouldn't hurt to ask the question now. Thanks!

red_ryder

None
Pros: A place to stash your "other" stuff, ie cell phone, so they don't hold on to it for you, being able to drive on liberty, being able to hang around and go where you please, when you please once you graduate.

Cons: Um...cons? You have to drive there, I guess.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
You want a car in Newport. Buses run decently, but take too long to get places.

Providence is 40 min. by car, more than twice that by bus, and you have to go through Prov. to get to Boston (little over an hour drive from Newport if I remember correctly) if you don't have a car.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Cons: Um...cons? You have to drive there, I guess.

That's actually a pro if you ask me. The Navy will consider you active duty the day you leave home and you're alloted X amt of travel days based on where you're headed from.

It's usually much more time than you need, which means you can pad your first paycheck by a few days than if you flew, plus you're given per diem for the travel which you'll get while you're at OCS.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
^ Yeah.. it is. Especially if OCS is going to be on the same quad as SWOS/NAPS/OIS/BOOST. Absolute furthest part of the base from downtown Newport.

BTW, that walk sucks in the winter.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I took my car to NSI and I am very glad that I did...and I drove from Washington state. There are no cons, take your car.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I didn't drive, but had to stash stuff in other peoples car. I guess that can be a con if you drove. A lot in my class did not drive. Its about a 2 mile walk to where your cars are parked btw.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I didn't drive, but had to stash stuff in other peoples car. I guess that can be a con if you drove. A lot in my class did not drive. Its about a 2 mile walk to where your cars are parked btw.

A 2 mile walk to the parking lot? Man that sucks.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
Well thats good to know in case I need to take care of some online banking issues in my first month there. Hang tough man. I'll see you in 3 weeks.