• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automobile to Newport?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Ok good to know. I was going to throw my motorcycle in the back of my silverado too, anyone know a good storage I can throw the bike in when I arrive?

None really, and you won't be able to use the bike on base.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
So I guess it only makes sense to take a car to OCS if you live within a reasonable distance to Rhode Island... why take a car all the way from CA? Haha... unless you want to donate it to your DI as a graduation present... jk!

I drove my car from Colorado and I was VERY happy I did. You have a place to put YOUR stuff before you start the fun that is OCS on Day 0. Secondly, you will again be VERY happen you have it if/when you make it to Candio phase.

Lastly, once you graduate and all your stuff is done and you get get your ENS ID, you can get the hell out of dodge quick, fast, and in a hurry.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Ok good to know. I was going to throw my motorcycle in the back of my silverado too, anyone know a good storage I can throw the bike in when I arrive?

What kind of storage are you looking for? Many Navy bases have a secure storage area for vehicles, and you could probably leave your motorcycle there. I would call security at NAVSTA Newport to make an inquiry if this sounds like what you're looking for. If you're talking about some kind of enclosed self-storage facility, Google is your friend.

teaaddict

Bring it. A) They pay you for your travel. From CA, that's 5 days plus mileage. You'll make money unless you drive a dually F350 B) When you do get liberty, you'll have that much more freedom. Unless you don't have one, there's no reason not to bring it.

When you say they pay for your travel... are you saying they pay for your time, gas, and hotel?

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
You get X number of days to get to Newport via POV. X is set from the distance of your HOR to Newport. You get per diem (for food and lodging) and mileage from HOR to Newport. I got, I think, 3 days and whatever miles from Wisconsin. Your recruiter should clarify this when you get your orders.

bluemarlin04

I just got pro recd. Have a weird question. I live in Hi and own a vehicle. Will I have to sell my truck and buy a new one in RI or P cola? When I enlisted they definitely were not paying for anyone's car to be shipped. I don't think going to OCS is any different but if it is I may not need to sell my truck.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
I just got pro recd. Have a weird question. I live in Hi and own a vehicle. Will I have to sell my truck and buy a new one in RI or P cola? When I enlisted they definitely were not paying for anyone's car to be shipped. I don't think going to OCS is any different but if it is I may not need to sell my truck.

You'll be on travel orders, but obviously you cannot drive to RI from HI. I'd say sell it and fly there, figure out a car once you get to PCola. Otherwise you'll be trying to figure out buying/registering/insuring a car while trying to get to OCS. You want all your shit in one sock once you get there so you can focus.

I was just talking to a Lt who was moving from Kauai to Honolulu the other day. He was saying that HI is treated like outlying provinces when it comes to moving your stuff, so a lot more restrictions apply. He seemed to say that they won't pay for shipping a vehicle by ship not even for the short distance between the two islands. If this is true, then I highly doubt that they'd pay for you to ship your vehicle all the way to the mainland (plus you'd be without a vehicle while you're still on HI for a month or two).

But then again, my info could be wrong in some ways. I heard this over beers and cigars, so I easily could have remembered wrong.

bluemarlin04

I was just talking to a Lt who was moving from Kauai to Honolulu the other day. He was saying that HI is treated like outlying provinces when it comes to moving your stuff, so a lot more restrictions apply. He seemed to say that they won't pay for shipping a vehicle by ship not even for the short distance between the two islands. If this is true, then I highly doubt that they'd pay for you to ship your vehicle all the way to the mainland (plus you'd be without a vehicle while you're still on HI for a month or two).

But then again, my info could be wrong in some ways. I heard this over beers and cigars, so I easily could have remembered wrong.

No you're right. I checked into it. The military will pay to ship your vehicle to Hawaii is it is your home of record when you leave the military. I know that much. Guess I'll just wait to buy a vehicle when I get to the mainland.

bluemarlin04

Well, you can look at it this way. You'll be getting $2745 per month (before taxes) once you get your gold bars. If you're single with no dependents, then you'll be getting just over $1k a month allowance for housing in P-cola, and about $230 for food. In other words, you should have plenty of money for monthly car payments. That, and the money you sell your current vehicle for will make a nice downpayment.
Yah, I am not to worried about. I have a good truck now and I would more than likely ship it to my aunts on the west coast and my parents would drive it to newport to see me graduate. But that seems like a lot of work to go through rather than just selling it. Plus, I'll be getting O-1 pay with 5 years of service so I could probably pick a sweet ride.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Yah, I am not to worried about. I have a good truck now and I would more than likely ship it to my aunts on the west coast and my parents would drive it to newport to see me graduate. But that seems like a lot of work to go through rather than just selling it. Plus, I'll be getting O-1 pay with 5 years of service so I could probably pick a sweet ride.

You've got the right idea. Shipping to the mainland is gonna be mucho $$. And if you're banking O-1E, get what you want once in FL.