• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Automobile to Newport?

NYYanks

Tweaking off my coffee
Yah, I am not to worried about. I have a good truck now and I would more than likely ship it to my aunts on the west coast and my parents would drive it to newport to see me graduate. But that seems like a lot of work to go through rather than just selling it. Plus, I'll be getting O-1 pay with 5 years of service so I could probably pick a sweet ride.

You can always go fer the Ensign mobile: Corvette

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I've seen other blogs mentioning numerous break-ins in Pensacola. Anyone heard of this problem in RI?

Depends on where you park.
Newport, ironically, has more middle-to-lower class neighborhoods than the other two towns on the island.
If you park in some of the shadier sections of Newport, you get what you get. Right outside of base is some of the areas I wouldn't want to park in at night.

Middletown is pretty safe.

Portsmouth police do not publicize the police reports in the paper, but based on stories, it's comparable to Middletown. Folks who's cars get broken into are the ones who leave an I-pod, GPS, laptop easily visible over night.

I've never heard of a break-in on NAVSTA Newport.

NTXRockr

Alive and kicking...sort of.
My wife would cut my nuts off before I could get the car off the lot.

perks of being single

Normally the phrase that comes to mind is, "it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission".

The awesome thing for me is that my wife is encouraging me to get a 'Vette for my own graduation present/ensign mobile...the moral of the story: pick the right woman and you don't have to ask for permission or forgiviness.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Normally the phrase that comes to mind is, "it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission".

The awesome thing for me is that my wife is encouraging me to get a 'Vette for my own graduation present/ensign mobile...the moral of the story: pick the right woman and you don't have to ask for permission or forgiviness.

I'll just say that's dumb. Cool, for sure, but dumb.

Yeah, I have to agree with Synix on that one. Not exactly the fiscally responsible thing to do. When I say that my wife would cut my nuts off if I bought one, I consider that a good thing. She's my common sense when it comes to doing stupid things with money.

For what it's worth, if you want to spend that much money on something, consider buying a used Cessna 172/Cherokee 140/160. You'll probably spend less, and have a hell of a lot more fun.

NTXRockr

Well, we're already in the process of a 'debt snowball' and paying off all of our debts, using only cash for purchases, etc. We'll be in good position to buy a Corvette or anything for that matter if we decide to, as our other vehicles will be nearly paid off and the rest of them within a year. We both are not the type to go off and spend wildly on 'ensign mobiles' and other wasteful expenditures, but we are successful hard workers and want to enjoy things after reaching accomplishments. I plan on paying for it with cash or at least with a hefty down payment, and driving it well beyond the time newer models come out. My first two vehicles had over 250k miles on them each, and my current truck I've put 100k in less than 3 years, so it's going to be well used - not just money wasted. As long as our debt is going away, my family is well provided and cared for, and our investments and IRA/Roth continues to progress and soon max out per year, it doesn't hurt to reward hard work once a decade or so.

And FYI, I'm kind of spoiled on the aviation side as my family owns over a dozen small to medium sized aircraft. I currently am working on my ratings, and we just finished the annual on one of our twins (an old school Piper Apache) and in progress on a Cherokee 140...I've also got a Cessna 150 and 152 to put back into the air if you're interested in rental/lease/purchase? I'm wanting the work anyways to finish up to take my IA written in between shooting for a PPL, Instrument and Multi in between now and July. Seriously, feel free to message or email me if you're in the market for a GA plane.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
The reason I say it's dumb is to wait until you're to your PDS in the fleet before you get the fun car. Through the TRACOM, if you have an SUV/Truck/Sedan, you can net $1k+ per PCS in DITY money. If you have a Vette as a 'fun car' the Navy won't move it for you. You'll outlay your own money. If it's your daily driver, okay fine, but no DITY advantage. But if it works for your life, do it.

EDIT: To clarify, they'll pay you to drive one vehicle if you're single, two if you have dependents. If you're single, you're paying for the second to be shipped via car carrier (or third if you're married).

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor

I'm envious! Right now, we've got a pile of student loans, and a car payment. Trying to buy a 'Vette right now would be a bad idea for me. If you're in a position to do it, go for it! Though, after watching Top Gear, I kind of have a hard on for a Porsche. Maybe one of these days.

By the way, I'd love to throw down on a plane...yet again, my wife would murder me :)

borednstoked

Depends on where you park.
Newport, ironically, has more middle-to-lower class neighborhoods than the other two towns on the island.
If you park in some of the shadier sections of Newport, you get what you get. Right outside of base is some of the areas I wouldn't want to park in at night.

Middletown is pretty safe.

Portsmouth police do not publicize the police reports in the paper, but based on stories, it's comparable to Middletown. Folks who's cars get broken into are the ones who leave an I-pod, GPS, laptop easily visible over night.

I've never heard of a break-in on NAVSTA Newport.

Thanks for the response. I was referring to the conditions on base so that's good to hear. That is where we will park right? I read that the old parking areas in Pensacola had a few strings of theft that turned out to be A-school students from NATCC. I imagine RI doesn't have quite the concentration of A-school students. My next six months should also be in RI so I will definitely need to bring my wheels, just want to keep it out of harms way.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the response. I was referring to the conditions on base so that's good to hear. That is where we will park right? I read that the old parking areas in Pensacola had a few strings of theft that turned out to be A-school students from NATCC. I imagine RI doesn't have quite the concentration of A-school students. My next six months should also be in RI so I will definitely need to bring my wheels, just want to keep it out of harms way.

The lot you leave your POV in is pretty far removed from most stuff. I wouldn't worry about it.

NTXRockr

The reason I say it's dumb is to wait until you're to your PDS in the fleet before you get the fun car. Through the TRACOM, if you have an SUV/Truck/Sedan, you can net $1k+ per PCS in DITY money. If you have a Vette as a 'fun car' the Navy won't move it for you. You'll outlay your own money. If it's your daily driver, okay fine, but no DITY advantage. But if it works for your life, do it.

EDIT: To clarify, they'll pay you to drive one vehicle if you're single, two if you have dependents. If you're single, you're paying for the second to be shipped via car carrier (or third if you're married).

Yeah I figure I'll have to stuff it full of all my goodies and trailer it with my truck, while doing the same thing with my wife's car and trailering it behind a U-Haul, etc. More than likely, I will drive it to OCS (if I don't find at least two guys to carpool up there with me, then it's another vehicle) and take what I need to survive after commissioning and through IFS/API - my hope is to not need to move my wife, kid and property until I'm going to leave Pensacola for where we're going for Primary.

Perfect scenario, I commission in October and get to IFS/API within a week, and get through API just before the Christmas break, then go back home for the holidays and move onto Primary with the family after the holidays. If I have all my ratings and get passed through IFS this should really be doable, but we'll see. All in all, if I find the car of my dreams for the right price I'll get it, if not I'll wait and buy it when I get a chance after OCS, API, whatever...