• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

August 2011 Board

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Thanks for the input. This is a much more challenging decision than I expected it would be. I think the Navy would be tons of fun but I just have a feeling that the AF will be better for my wife and future childeren. My wife feels the same. And I think it is awesome to have the opportunity to fly off the end of a boat. Maybe I will get the opportunity to fly an exchange tour with the Navy.

Does your wife have something against beaches, or does she prefer living in North Dakota?

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Congrats to all you Pro-Recs you have more to do in the process so this is just the beginning!!! Non-Selects... Don't give up... If you want this bad enough the do everything you can to make sure it happens! Good Luck to you all in the future!!!

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
non select..
To all the people who said gpa and scores wasnt everything, I now 100% completely disagree with you.. It is all about GPA and scores..I had everything outstanding, extracuriculars to evals, interviews to prt scores, volunteer activities to CO recommendation. GPA and ASTB scores werent on par with some of the rest, and i have to think that is the only reason.. Very bitter here..
This was a real blow to me as it was my only shot to be pilot due to my age and was the reason i enlisted with a degree 3 years ago.. Very upset..Is there an appeal process? Is the NFO board really taking place in October?

My stats weren't great either and I didn't have probably near the extra curriculars you claim but I was Pro-Rec'd in October of 2010. Don't be bitter and don't give up hope... If this is what you want then work harder to make it happen and prove them wrong for ignoring you this time!!!

Does your wife have something against beaches, or does she prefer living in North Dakota?

She prefers smaller towns to larger coastal cities.

It all comes down to which airframe you want to fly. I saw a documentary a couple of months back called speed and angels. If you want jets then the AF is the way to go. In that doc, they showed a board/chart that indicates who's the top students and the bottom rankings. There was only 2 points difference between #1 and last place. Top 3 students gets their choice (mostly jets), the rest gets whichever the navy needs/has left (helo). Just sayin...

I am pretty sure you see the same thing at UPT.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Thanks for the input. This is a much more challenging decision than I expected it would be. I think the Navy would be tons of fun but I just have a feeling that the AF will be better for my wife and future childeren. My wife feels the same. And I think it is awesome to have the opportunity to fly off the end of a boat. Maybe I will get the opportunity to fly an exchange tour with the Navy.

Air Force flight training is more of a weed out at first than the Navy..plus your balls fall off. UPT didn't sound fun at all from hearing about it through my USAF buddies. Glad I Fly Navy.

cmcdonald

Just heard this afternoon I was non-select for SNA. It stings a bit, but this was my first time around, so I'm still in the fight for the next board (NFO maybe?). Anyway, congrats to all those pro-rec'd and thanks & congrats especially to millsra13 for being the inside man keeping us sane!

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
non select..
To all the people who said gpa and scores wasnt everything, I now 100% completely disagree with you.. It is all about GPA and scores..I had everything outstanding, extracuriculars to evals, interviews to prt scores, volunteer activities to CO recommendation. GPA and ASTB scores werent on par with some of the rest, and i have to think that is the only reason.. Very bitter here..
This was a real blow to me as it was my only shot to be pilot due to my age and was the reason i enlisted with a degree 3 years ago.. Very upset..Is there an appeal process? Is the NFO board really taking place in October?

Hey man, sucks to hear..but "them's the breaks of Naval Air". You should really give it a go with NFO. My board I had a 2.5 GPA..but had 8's and 9's on the ASTB. It really is the "whole package". But more importantly, TIMING. Right now with a down economy you are getting some REALLY quality dudes who would normally be working for Fortune 500's all the sudden wanting to go Fly Navy.. sucks but that's the reality.

You can have 10 rock stars and 8 pilot slots..someone gets the shaft. There is no appeal process plus you don't want to come off as a whiner with your OR who will try his/her best to get you in for the NFO board. It's still a great opportunity. Good luck.

ruby416

non select..
I noticed that you posted something about the age waiver in another discussion... I am active duty and put in my package for Supply. Currently 31 yrs old and I know for SC the age waiver can be up to 35, but for the whole process nobody asked me to request an age waiver, even the fleet processor. My CO did request an age waiver inside his recommendation, but does it count? I know you said people needs to fill in a form or something for the waiver? Thanks....

Pro Rec!!! Ive been waiting to hear that for over 2 years! Congrats to everyone else selected and good luck to those who are going to keep trying.

aodell

TW-2
This may be my first post on AW--apologies for being a bit of an anonymous stalker up to this point, but I don't have near the knowledge of the recruiting process some of you do.

My recruiter told me that I was chosen as an SNA alternate, which I'm excited about, because I was expecting a straight "no". Only problem is, my recruiter (who is brand new--he's the third one I've had in the past 6 months) told me that there are two lists of alternates, one he called the "primary alternates", and then the alternates. I was on the latter.

He also couldn't explain to me the difference between the two lists of alternates, and how Big Navy goes about choosing from them if one of the pro-recs doesn't want a spot. I imagine I'm low on the totem pole, but if anybody can shed any light on the situation, I'd greatly appreciate it. And I *promise* that I searched all the forums for an answer first.

millsra13

'Merica
pilot
Contributor
This may be my first post on AW--apologies for being a bit of an anonymous stalker up to this point, but I don't have near the knowledge of the recruiting process some of you do.

My recruiter told me that I was chosen as an SNA alternate, which I'm excited about, because I was expecting a straight "no". Only problem is, my recruiter (who is brand new--he's the third one I've had in the past 6 months) told me that there are two lists of alternates, one he called the "primary alternates", and then the alternates. I was on the latter.

He also couldn't explain to me the difference between the two lists of alternates, and how Big Navy goes about choosing from them if one of the pro-recs doesn't want a spot. I imagine I'm low on the totem pole, but if anybody can shed any light on the situation, I'd greatly appreciate it. And I *promise* that I searched all the forums for an answer first.

Primary Alternate means you are an alternate for FY12 Quotas, secondary alternate means you are an alternate for FY13 Quotas. I know absolutely nothing more about it, but I'm not suprised your recruiter didn't know about it. I just found out and I've been in recruiting for 2 years.(The OCS processor didn't know what it meant either, which was why the fleet results were delayed an hour; he thought it was a mistake to have two alternate lists)

aodell

TW-2
Primary Alternate means you are an alternate for FY12 Quotas, secondary alternate means you are an alternate for FY13 Quotas. I know absolutely nothing more about it, but I'm not suprised your recruiter didn't know about it. I just found out and I've been in recruiting for 2 years.(The OCS processor didn't know what it meant either, which was why the fleet results were delayed an hour; he thought it was a mistake to have two alternate lists)

More waiting, yay!! ;) Thanks for the info. I am definitely ok with waiting some more time if it means I get a shot at a spot. I'm hoping that lots of you change your minds...

kiwinosa87

Heading to P'cola!
Question: I called my OR a couple of hours after the list was released to get the word. She confidently said that the list hadn't been released yet. It obviously has been. I live in Connecticut. Is there any reason why my processor wouldn't have gotten word? Are they just being lazy/slow? I hope I don't have to spend the weekend in the dark, especially knowing that this list is out there...SOMEWHERE

-Impatient.