• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Attrition is the mission?

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I compared notes with my peers that were going through Advanced in the jet world, and they were surprised just how systems knowledge oriented our briefs were. I chalked it up to the lack of an ejection seat, and how systems knowledge can save your life in the rotary wing community.

The same, and notoriously so, in the multi-engine world. No leaving the bird early if something goes wrong.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is no leaving the helo at all.

COD Guys are also in it to the end.

I also noticed the difference level of systems knowledge between the jet community and the COD community. I can't say one is better, but I like nowing all I can about my aircraft that I can. Even moreso now that my EP's don't end with EJECT!

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I know who the student is that you are talking about. Without getting into specifics, the command had all the ammunition that it needed to send him packing, but was told to "give him another look", which included several ET flights and a recheck. I flew one of his ET flights and I must say that he was much improved, as most anybody would after having an extra block of flights to improve.
One thing I hate, though, is "passing the buck", which is what I feel like we did by sending him to advanced. Unfortunately, some decisions are made way above my paygrade. This student's case was more a political decision, and had little to do with MPTS.

Of course he improved, as you say, give any student that many chances and it probably will happen. Obviously there's more to it, above our pay grade for this type of individual. I know for a fact calls came from DC....at least to the liason officer. I sat down with the student yesterday to explain that the easy part is over, now comes the hard part, advanced helo's. I hope it isn't round two with this guy. So far, he has been on time since returning, for everything......a first.

I don't know which system is better or worse. It might be better to give a guy extra chances, extra time to "get it", saves money in the end I suppose. I still believe the old system was tougher in that all flights held equal weight.....maybe not always a good thing. MPTS might be a smarter way of doing things and maybe a better way to accurately determine performance.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor

I also noticed the difference level of systems knowledge between the jet community and the COD community. I can't say one is better, but I like nowing all I can about my aircraft that I can. Even moreso now that my EP's don't end with EJECT!

Exactly how much do you now about the COD?

I'm sorry, I tried to resist, but the urge was too strong.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

COD systems kicked my ass at the FRS. I'm naturally a rock, a systems flunkie. I think systems in the T-2C were easier than the T-34. Get to VAW-120 and have to know everything about the plane. I studied harder at the FRS then I did during any phase of flight training.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Exactly how much do you now about the COD?

I'm sorry, I tried to resist, but the urge was too strong.

As for the airplane, I know as much as I can being being an AC/Instructor in it - Of course there is always more to learn...

As for the fish - Not much, saltwater I think.

As for the CODPIECE - nothing at all...

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
So what exactly would get someone a yellow or pink sheet? Does it take a bunch of mistakes and no displaying of skill or desire or is it more of a "OMG if I wasn't there to barely save us, we would have died" kind of thing?

A yellow sheet can be awarded under a couple of different circumstances. The first is an overall unsat flight, which from my understanding would be a down in the old system, and the source of much griping about MPTS becuse a yellow shee does not automatically trigger an IPC/FPC/TRB. The second case in which a yellow sheet can be awarded is if a student does not acheive the minimum performance standard (MIF) for a maneuver on an end of block flight. The third yellow sheet in a block will generate a pink sheet and resulting IPC/FPC/TRB. Pink sheets are also awarded for ready room unsats, and failure of check rides.

Scenario 1: Student flies like a moron, almost kills instructor. Instructor awards overall unsat, but it's not a checkride, so student gets a yellow sheet, and has two more chances to get it right before striking pink.

Scenario 2: Student flies well on a flight other than end of block, but goons up one maneuver which IP grades below MIF. No Unsat generated

Scenario 3: Student flies well on an end of block flight, maybe even above average for the whole flight, but is say, 15 knots fast on a waveoff. The 15 knots might be outside of the standard for that block, and would therefore generate a yellow sheet, due to failure to make MIF on an end of block event. Two more shots at it before the paper turns pink.

Scenario 4: Student flies an overall above average check ride, but screws up an approach turn stall and looses 150 ft instead of 125. It would be an unforgiving IP to do this, but a pink sheet could be awarded.

Scenario 5: Student punts it into the stands during a brief. Pink sheet and khakies/Charlies no questions asked.

RRU's/pinksheets/yellowsheets were fairly common in my primary squadron. Out of six people in my class 5 failed the first checkride, most already had at least one unsat to that point, and all would have multiple unsats by the end of the syllabus. 2 of the 6 DOR's, one in advanced, one during primary RI's. Of the remaining four At least two of us have winged, and the last I heard the other 2 were doing fine in advanced.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When did they start giving out these "yellow sheets?" I only "unsatted" one flight in Primary right before my FAM checkride and it was a normal white gradesheet, same as the flight right after it that I rocked.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I think the proverbial yellow sheet may be somewhat a figure of speech. I had a single unsat early in fams in advanced and it was a white piece of paper. I don't think the color of the paper matters so much as what that paper says.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
When did they start giving out these "yellow sheets?" I only "unsatted" one flight in Primary right before my FAM checkride and it was a normal white gradesheet, same as the flight right after it that I rocked.

I've given out 3 UNSAT on warm-ups and they are always white on those flights.

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
It may be a squadron thing, or it might be a result of how long TIMS was in use at the time. It might also be the difference between the dummy jacket that you carry around as a student, and the real training jacket that stucon has. I once got one on white that most deffinitely yellow in my real ATJ. In VT's and HT's we printed ATF's on yellow sheets of paper if it was an unsat that didn't generate an IPC/FPC/TRB. Warmups that were unsat weren't printed on yellow while I was in primary because it wasn't a graded syllabus event (that is to say a mando warmup wouldn't count regardless, and if you unsatted an optional, it became a warmup and not a syllabus flight).

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

The non-warmup UNSATS are supposed to be on yellow unless it's a 88/89/90 ride, in which case you get pink and a RB. Sometimes the gradesheet isn't printed out correctly and a white one goes to Ops Admin and the shieet gets reprinted up there if Ops Admin is doing their job. Sometimes it just gets missed. I've seen that when doing jacket reviews. TIMS has nothing to do w/ it, it's just the matter of the IP putting in a different piece of paper in the printer and then running around telling everyone not to print for a minute.