• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Attn: El Homo's. El Presidente (aka CIC) says you're now SAT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
myeh. Gays already serve. Sailors already do weird shit. There will be a weird period, and some people may get the heeby jeebies. Maybe sexual harassment will finally be an equal opportunity offender in terms of victim gender, but I doubt it. Of the gay people I've met, most genuinely just want to be left alone, free to do whatever they please in the privacy of their home and live a productive life outside of it without fear of repercussions. Few fit the raging liberal blowhard (ha...) stereotype. I'm pretty sure I've already served with a few.

Who gives a shit so long as they aren't sexually harassing you? You really think it's gonna be village people and big gay al's dance raves in a 6 man after watch?

ryan1234

Is that like claiming you're gay and then being able to squeeze a hot chick's boobs without repercussion?

I want equal rights! Just because my farts don't smell like latex shouldn't mean I don't get all these free special boob feeling/viewing rights.

boobcheese

As MasterBates can attest to, whether you like it or not, we already have gays in the military and we're already berthing with them. I'm sure anyone who has been in for any amount of time can name several people that they have served with that they are all but certain are gay. If/when DADT is repealed nothing is going to change except for the fact that they won't be able to be kicked out based on solely on their orientation. Even when DADT is repealed, I imagine that many if not most of those gays that are serving will remain content to retain there privacy and not tell anyway.

Bevo16

pilot
You really think it's gonna be village people and big gay al's dance raves in a 6 man after watch?

No.

Most of them will naturally gravitate to P-3's, and shooters normally get 2 man staterooms. The 6 man will still be a haven of Halo and Madden.

:D

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
When DADT is repealed, sexual harassment will still be sexual harassment. Having sex on the ship will still be having sex on the ship. Not much will change, really.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
+1 for Squorch, Bevo, BC and SB. Finally a chorus of reason. :D

Brett

CAMike

None
Contributor
As MasterBates can attest to, whether you like it or not, we already have gays in the military and we're already berthing with them. I'm sure anyone who has been in for any amount of time can name several people that they have served with that they are all but certain are gay. If/when DADT is repealed nothing is going to change except for the fact that they won't be able to be kicked out based on solely on their orientation. Even when DADT is repealed, I imagine that many if not most of those gays that are serving will remain content to retain there privacy and not tell anyway.

Your web name as related to this thread is, well ...appropriate. Damn- That made some hairs stand up on the back of my neck. (Shhhudder) you scared me.

Your FL80 view of what will happen after the repeal of DADT is naive at best. It doesn't exactly get down to the details of what certainly must accompany this new set of Navy Orders should DADT actually be repealled.

Examples:

1. New sexual harrassment in the workplace training, 2. Command Level training on gay related issues along with the new level of visibilty and urgency, America is Watching! 3. Chain of Command Modifications for "Uniquely Gay Related Issues" not currently covered in the UCMJ. Yes- Sodomy was still a UCMJ offense last I heard (20 yrs ago).

Think this is BS? Who was the driving force behind the initial DADT? Who is the driving force currently. If and when DADT goes away- Guess who will be the driving force for "Compliance" Reports and "Remedy's" for commands that aren't 100% up to speed in dealing with these new gay related issues. Can you imagine the newly needed SH fitrep bullit points for promotion?

I tell you who's in charge- ATTORNEY'S.

If this goes down the way BO says it will- I can see civilian attorneys having "special access" to Gay Military Personnel in their new found revenue opportunities.

Hey maybe I'm just not looking at this subject in a modern new age kind of way. On the positive side we'll create new responsibilites for Officers, JO's, DH's, XO's, CO's alike. And they'll soon have the privledge of reporting another series of living programs up thier chain of command. Awesome huh? uh Maybe not. It's just going to add multiple levels of bureaucracy to an already heavily burdened fleet of people trying to prepare for work and maintain large amounts of equipment who rarely have enough time for a decent personal life at home.

But it looks so simple from a far. I mean whichever side of the fence your on with this subject- you work for the government. It's not going to be a simple or painless change. -and for who's benefit exactly?

Rant off~

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
As long as we're talking about stupid provisions of the UCMJ, I hope that you haven't gotten a hummer, oh, EVER...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your web name as related to this thread is, well ...appropriate. Damn- That made some hairs stand up on the back of my neck. (Shhhudder) you scared me.

Your FL80 view of what will happen after the repeal of DADT is naive at best. It doesn't exactly get down to the details of what certainly must accompany this new set of Navy Orders should DADT actually be repealled.

Examples:

1. New sexual harrassment in the workplace training, 2. Command Level training on gay related issues along with the new level of visibilty and urgency, America is Watching! 3. Chain of Command Modifications for "Uniquely Gay Related Issues" not currently covered in the UCMJ. Yes- Sodomy was still a UCMJ offense last I heard (20 yrs ago).

Think this is BS? Who was the driving force behind the initial DADT? Who is the driving force currently. If and when DADT goes away- Guess who will be the driving force for "Compliance" Reports and "Remedy's" for commands that aren't 100% up to speed in dealing with these new gay related issues. Can you imagine the newly needed SH fitrep bullit points for promotion?

I tell you who's in charge- ATTORNEY'S.

If this goes down the way BO says it will- I can see civilian attorneys having "special access" to Gay Military Personnel in their new found revenue opportunities.

Hey maybe I'm just not looking at this subject in a modern new age kind of way. On the positive side we'll create new responsibilites for Officers, JO's, DH's, XO's, CO's alike. And they'll soon have the privledge of reporting another series of living programs up thier chain of command. Awesome huh? uh Maybe not. It's just going to add multiple levels of bureaucracy to an already heavily burdened fleet of people trying to prepare for work and maintain large amounts of equipment who rarely have enough time for a decent personal life at home.

But it looks so simple from a far. I mean whichever side of the fence your on with this subject- you work for the government. It's not going to be a simple or painless change. -and for who's benefit exactly?

Rant off~

What will actually go down? Who knows, but it's probably somewhere in between. Don't forget that a lot of the sensitivity to gender issues was a result of Tailhook, not gender integration per se. In the end, sexual harassment is sexual harassment regardless of gender or orientation. People should (and mostly do) keep sexuality out of the workplace. I don't subscribe to the doom & gloom view of things, but anything is possible. You're still going to have SAVI and SITREPs for all the various crazy things that Sailors do to themselves and each other. So, now one of the blocks to check on the SITREP form will be "Sexual orientation discrimination" or "Same gender sexual harassment" (or whatever) - BFD. As with all things, time will tell.

Brett

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
For the OP--apostrophes indicate possessive or a contraction of "is." If you want to make something plural, just add an "s" at the end of the word.

The military would probably be at its most effective if it was entirely manned (forgive the expression) by straight men. No gender issues of any kind would occur. Unfortunately, in a volunteer force, we couldn't fill all our boatspaces with just men. Although less of a decisive factor as adding half the population to the recruiting pool, we're still losing some portion of the qualified available population by excluding gays.

As for the gays-in-the-military issue, I'm beginning to think the juice isn't worth the squeeze on DADT. The policy itself is causing as much friction as it was designed to save. It's not going to be "Queer Eye" out there. Harassment is still harassment, and illicit sex will still be illicit.

Just as most of the women who join the military are the more aggressive sort who usually don't cause problems, you aren't going to get that many flaming queens signing up either.

Whether or not one thinks homosexuality is immoral is irrelevant to the debate. Try it from another angle. Most religions hold their way to be the truth and the one right way. Those who don't believe are sinners and immoral. So, how can a religious person serve with those of other faiths? Everyone keeps their mouths shut and does their jobs. It works pretty well. How 'bout that?

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
I'm wondering how long it will be before we have the first openly gay skipper of a major combatant.... Maybe it can be named the USS Harvey Milk.
BTW....this has all been covered ad nauseum ;)

Alecta

For those alluding to gays in the military in Europe and why we can't be like them is because they have a VERY different mindset around sex, nudity, etc. than we do. We American's get downright squeemish when naked people start running around screaming from the pulpits about debauchery and the disintegration of the moral fabric of society. I saw it many times when I lived overseas. Their pre-occupation with morality and righteousness is long gone. They don't care who you're screwing as along as it's consensual. We, for some reason, do.

Status
Not open for further replies.